Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was up early the next morning and got this pic at the motel.

[​IMG]

We got on the road around 8 and took 276 over to the BRP where I took this pic at one of the overlooks.

[​IMG]

The bikes on this ride were: Kymco Like 150i, Genuine Buddy 125, Ninja 250, Yamaha Xmax (300cc), Yamaha Majesty (400cc) and Burgman 650.

View from another angle.

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We continued north on the BRP. It was a beautiful day:rayof I rode behind Dan and his Buddy for a bit and snapped some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Asheville for gas. Although scooters get great gas mileage, the smaller ones have pretty small tanks. Then back on the BRP. At one of the stops I swapped scooters with Bill and got to ride his Xmax. I rode several miles of the parkway and then the twisty road to the top of Mt Mitchell. As I expected, it's a very nice scooter. If I didn't already have my Majesty, I would have bought an Xmax. It's "only" a 300 but it's capable of riding cross country, it handles great and get about the same gas mileage as my Like. But the Majesty is paid for and has less than 20K on it so I don't see selling it for some time.

Group pic on Mt Mitchell.

[​IMG]

We probably weren't supposed to park there so we moved the bikes after taking pics and hung out a bit.

[​IMG]

It was cold up here so I put on my rain jacket for the ride down.

Just before getting back to the parkway we got caught in a rain shower. i saw blue skies ahead so didn't stop. We rode through it quickly. Just before getting to our turnoff we got stopped by a flagman for construction. They are continuing the road resurfacing they started last year and it can be a mess to ride. Luckily we planned on getting off on 80 and didn't have to ride on gravel.

80 is a fantastic twisty road. We stopped near the top for some pics.

[​IMG]

Tony making a pass for the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A stop to regroup at a turn.

[​IMG]

After going down 80 we went over to 221, 226 and 226a. 226a is another fantastic road if you are a curve junkie:ricky:ricky:ricky There wasn't much traffic but we did come up behind a couple on an Indian going slow. Despite going uphill and only having 150cc I managed to pass and continue to enjoy the road at a fun pace:ricky:ricky Everyone else got around him as well.

Lunch was here:

[​IMG]
    Amphib, gulfcoaster, Phipsd and 13 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that the forecast called for an 80% chance of rain? Well, we already got some of that rain but as we were eating lunch it looked pretty ominous outside. We started hearing thunder. None of us had enough signal to pull up the weather radar but someone else did and it showed nasty weather all around. But, it did look OK for the route I had planned so we started gearing up. The shower started before we left but we took off hoping to ride through it. We rode through it in a few minutes and continued on.

Some time later we were on 19W which a great road when we came to this.

[​IMG]

Crap!!!

We are way out in the sticks and surrounded by mountains. I have no map and don't know this area that well. So I pull out my phone and........4 Gs:rayof

There was a road just to the left and Google Maps showed that it would take us were we needed to go. It turned out to be a real fun ride:ricky:ricky:ricky I may use that road on future rides.

More fun roads:ricky:ricky

Stopping to re-group.

[​IMG]

Dan is a very good rider but his buddy just didn't quite have the power to stay with us. It's only 125cc and we weren't exactly riding slow. We never had to wait long for him.

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode on to Hot Springs where I needed a break. The Like is pretty comfortable but it's not a Gold Wing. We stopped at the visitor center and checked the weather radar. It looked nasty between us and Maggie Valley. We decided to wait a while to let the weather move on.

[​IMG]

After a half hour or so we rode on taking another break here.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the road was wet but we didn't get rained on.

Total mileage for the day was around 300 depending on who's odometer you wanted to believe. I used just over 3 gallons of gas!

Overall it was a great ride. When riding with people you have never ridden with before you are always taking a chance. In this case things worked out great as it was a great bunch of people with excellent riding skills.

We went to dinner at the Maggie Valley Restaurant. The food and company were both outstanding but I forgot to take a pic even though I brought my camera:baldy We were joined by @Bueller and his better half. He would be joining us on the next day's ride.

So day one was fantastic. Two more days to go!
    tastroman, 15's Pop, Amphib and 14 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Day Two, Tuesday.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the weather was colder than expected. I only brought a mesh jacket. A vented textile jacket would have been better and it would have been nice for this days ride as well since much of it would be at higher elevations.

We picked up three more riders for this day. @CashCow was on an Xmax, @wmailhos on a silver wing and @2372ighost on his Vespa 250GTS. Rich had just decided to try scooting and had only bought this Vespa 5 weeks earlier. This would be his first scooter ride beyond riding around town. I had ridden with him before on dual sport and street bike rides.

Edit: It was actually four riders, Bueller joined us on his Xmax.

Second Edit: Cashcow was there on day one so it was just three more riders. CRS is a terrible thing to have:lol3 All this math is making my head spin:D

Getting ready to go.

[​IMG]

We didn't ride far before our first stop at Watterrock Knob on the BRP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a short ride on the Parkway we got off on the Smoky Mountain Expressway and rode some four lane before getting off and riding some super twisty roads:ricky:ricky:ricky

We took a break at one of my favorite scenic spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's a good spot for photos.

[​IMG]

This is @CashCow and his Xmax. He had come up from Jacksonville with a Pickup he was delivering to his son in Illinois. Then he would ride to Wisconsin and then back to Jacksonville. This guy is a serious rider!

[​IMG]

Next is @Sirkitrider and his Burgman 650. He learned about this ride on the maxiscoots forum. Now he's on ADV:clap

[​IMG]

Getting ready to head out for some more curves:wings

[​IMG]
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you "shake off" that PMS... I'm going through that now after seeing both sets of parents in the last month...

Those are some great looking roads klav!
    The Virginian, klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually you picked up four riders on Tuesday.

:wave

It’s ok, I have a forgettable face :lol3
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have a bad case of CRS so I have an excuse.
    The Virginian, MYUMPH and 2372ighost like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    As bueller reminded me, he also was on the ride which means we had 10 riders that day. Go to perfect line and you will find a bunch of people telling you that group rides are a disaster and that at most you can only have 2-3 close friends on a ride before it just doesn't work anymore.

So here we have 10 riders, mostly old guys on scooters riding some of the twistiest roads you will find anywhere. On top of that we had bikes ranging from 125 to 650ccs. Most of us had never ridden together or even met before this event. While we didn't quite ride at the pace I used to ride back in my sportbike days, we were not going slow. Well maybe on some uphill sections we were a little slow. We simply had no issues with having that many riders. I couldn't ask for a better group to ride with.

After the stop by the lake we took off and rode a super twisty road that was mostly downhill. That road was about perfect for my 150cc scooter. We rode most of it before coming up behind a slow moving cage. I used that as a chance to let everyone re-group and pulled over.

As usual we really didn't have to wait long. Here comes Dan on his tiny 125cc scooter.

[​IMG]

I would guess that less than 75 percent of all the motorcycle riders in this country could have stayed with him down that road.

I know that Jerry could have ridden faster but he was nice enough to ride sweep.

[​IMG]

Then we finished that road and turned uphill. This is where the small scooters really struggle but we ended up stuck behind a car anyway so it didn't matter. Luckily the car pulled over after a while and we could have some fun:ricky:ricky:ricky

Soon it was time for another picture stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the falls we rode through Highlands which is a beautiful little town at over 4000 ft elevation. It is also an overcrowded tourist trap. We go separated by a light and I took this pic:

[​IMG]

I like to show more than just where we stopped in my ride reports. Most of the time we were riding curve after curve.

This was one on many curves:

[​IMG]

Doing my best Killboy impersonation I took everyone's pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    norton73, 15's Pop, Amphib and 9 others like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Most of the time when I shoot over the shoulder it just doesn't work. On this day one out of two came out OK. I wanted to show that as ADV scooter riders we do sometimes ride on unpaved roads.

[​IMG]

Then it was time for another photo stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    norton73, 15's Pop, Amphib and 13 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Before continuing with this ride I'm going to take a little sidetrack because it directly relates to what was next on this ride.

Many of us on Battle Scooters have been following and been inspired by one thread on this forum. Here's a quote from that thread:

"After nine over-night trips to the hospital, five stents, a pacemaker, ICD, and a bunch of other heart issues, I sold my motorcycle a few months ago. Last month my cardiologist sent me back to the hospital for another heart cath and the team concluded my only hope was a transplant. I said I wasn't interested, and asked how long I have... he said he'd start in-home hospice because he figured I had less than 6 months... so I talked to my sons and they asked what was on my bucket list... I said hangin' out with my grand kids and riding a bike again... so I'm doing both... last week I bought a slightly used 2007 Aprilia Sportcity with only 1160 miles on it..."

It's easy to take riding.....or a lot of things for granted. I know I do. Stories like this help me realize how lucky I am.

Well that quote was written around 3 years ago. The guy who wrote it wanted to meet up with us for lunch so I scheduled this days ride to be in Cashiers at 12:30 and he was hoping to be able to do his longest ride in years and make it there.

Link to that thread:https://advrider.com/f/threads/back-in-the-saddle-again.1169129/

I'll continue on with this story in a while.
    Amphib, gulfcoaster, Heatery and 9 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We pulled into the Wendy's parking lot at about 12:20. @OldCoot had told us to just go ahead if he wasn't there to meet us so I figured he wasn't that confident he would make it. I saw his red Kymco scooter parked there and we all parked next to it. So we introduced ourselves to Steve and grabbed the outdoor tables right by our bikes. Wendy's might not have been the best choice for lunch but the outdoor seating and the company were just great.

[​IMG]

Steve and His Kymco Grand Vista 250. It's a 2009 but looks new.

[​IMG]

Group pic:

[​IMG]

Steve, it was great meeting you and I hope to have the chance to ride with you in the future!

One last pic of Steve and I taken by @CashCow

[​IMG]
    norton73, zookster, 15's Pop and 12 others like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride report and you ARE the man when it comes to planning rides! I will be at the next one!

Eric
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch we said goodbye to Steve as well as Jerry who would be heading back home. We headed off with 9 scooters in the group.

The first several miles were on 64 which is a nice road but has heavy traffic so we were riding at an easy pace and I had a chance to reflect. I was thinking how lucky I was to be there riding in this fantastic area with a great group of friends. I thought "It just doesn't get better than this!"

We turned of on 281, on of my favorite twisty roads. It's a great road but the Southern end doesn't have the greatest road surface and also had some hills that where a struggle for the little 150cc air cooled engine in my Like. I was wishing for just a couple more horsepower.
    Just before we got to the best part of the road we ran into a shower. It looked gray ahead so I pulled over and we most of us put on our rain suits. Wes commented that we would ride through it quickly and didn't put on his rain suit. He was right but the road was wet so I backed off on the pace.

We took a break at a small park beside the road.

[​IMG]

Then it was more twisty roads back to the BRP where we stopped again for pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we rode more of the BRP stopping just before the Maggie Valley exit. At that point Wes took off and headed for home. The rest of us headed back to Maggie Valley were we finished the day with dinner at at Mexican place and more hanging out at the motel.

The ride was much shorter than day one at around 200 miles. I thought it was a better ride and allowed for more stops and no rushing to try to get back at a reasonable hour. My butt wasn't sore either:-)

One more day to go!
  16. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more week to go. I’m going to hate leaving this place.

I am definitely scheduling another month next year.

21315F09-3D65-4DB3-A343-7F759F3A81E3.jpeg 7163C947-D720-4638-86CD-FC46E5F78A19.jpeg 4502F0EE-741D-4604-8F69-9D65B3BB7CB2.jpeg 9DD6CABB-157E-4AA1-B900-4B3246FB86F0.jpeg
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Wednesday.

After two fantastic days, our last day of riding was coming up. We were down to five for today's ride as a couple of riders left during yesterday's ride and two more this morning.

We started off with Dan and I swapping bikes. He rode my Like and I rode his Buddy. I had sat on a Buddy before in a showroom and thought it was just to small but I actually fit OK and it was surprisingly comfortable.

Dan on my Like and Rich on his Vespa.

[​IMG]

Right off the line the Buddy felt weak but I think that was more the throttle rigging than actual performance. The biggest difference was in the brakes. The Like felt like it had power brakes and the buddy felt like it barely had any. You had to give the buddies brakes a firm squeeze while the brakes on the Like require less effort than any scooter I have ridden.

We rode about 8 miles and met up with Bueller at a gas station where we had an interesting conversation. A guy came up and asked where we were going and I told him "Marshall". He replied that it was a good thing we got an early start because it would take a long time to get there on "those things". Then he proceeded to tell us how his Road King was much faster.:rofl:rofl

I would have liked to see him try to keep up with us on anything other than straight roads.

Then we took some back roads and 209 to Trust where we took another break.

[​IMG]
    norton73, zookster, 15's Pop and 10 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After our stop in Trust it was time for some serious curves:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    You sure do make me want to retire early. Now were is that dang lotto ticket?
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I hate to tell you this but the lottery is rigged. I've bought a ticket every year for the last 10 years or so and still haven't won:imaposer
    Heatery likes this.