Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding into the town of Marshall.

[​IMG]

We stopped to check out the old gas station & Diner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we headed off the beaten path on some roads I discovered last time I was here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, zookster, sealsam and 13 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped and gassed up and the hit some of my very favorite roads. I know I keep talking about my favorite roads because I do have a lot of roads that I really like but from a sport riding perspective, these are the best. Miles and miles of virtually non-stop curves with little or no traffic. We rode until it was time for lunch where we stopped at a cafe I found on google maps. I had never eaten there before but figured since this place was off the beaten path and would depend almost entirely on locals, it wouldn't survive if it wasn't good.

[​IMG]

It turned out to be pretty good. I'd certainly eat here again.

[​IMG]

Heading off after lunch.

[​IMG]

We stopped for some more action shots. I was told it was my turn to get my picture taken so I gave my camera to @Bueller and made a bunch of passes. It was really nice to be on a tiny scooter because I could make a pass then whip a U turn on the narrow road and do it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, popscycle, zookster and 13 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode many more miles of curves with several of us scraping hard parts in the curves. We took another break across the river from Marshall.

[​IMG]

Then more curves before getting back to Maggie Valley . We stopped at the RV park where Bueller was spending the month. I envy his being able to spend a whole month in Maggie Valley. Maybe when I grow up I'll be able to do the same thing:D

We met again that night for dinner. The restaurant we wanted to eat at was closed because it was Wednesday. My backup Restaurant was also closed so we ended up at Snappy's an Italian place.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, norton73, zookster and 9 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Interesting sunrise Thursday morning.

[​IMG]

In my younger days after three days of intense riding of curvy roads I'd be ready for at least three more:ricky:ricky:ricky. I guess I'm getting O.L.D. :gerg I was worn out.

So I said goodbye as a couple more riders headed off leaving just Rich and me. We had enough time for a short ride before coming back to the motel and checking out. We headed out to check out the Cataloochie ski area. The road to the ski area is extremely steep and my scooters 150cc engine struggled to maintain 25MPH. It did make it to the top where the road levels off and the pavement ends.

[​IMG]

Closer to the ski area the road has a bunch of washboard and is not the most fun ride on 12" tires.

No Skiers here today:

[​IMG]

As we were stopped taking pics we heard the distinctive sound of a motorcycle coming up the road.

[​IMG]

The rider stopped and talked to me with a thick European accent. I think he asked "what road are you riding?" I wasn't sure what he wanted. It seemed pretty obvious to me that we were riding the road we were on:dunno

He had little patience waiting for my reply or maybe he didn't want to waste his time with a couple of scooter riders who didn't have enough sense to stay on the pavement and pulled down his faceshield and roared off.

[​IMG]

Rich and I headed back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This road was open range and there were cattle all over including these too just laying in the road.

[​IMG]

When we got to the bottom of the mountain we still had some time so we decided on a ride to Watterock Knob. We didn't quite make it before we were about to get into the fog so we took a pic and turned back.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, popscycle, zookster and 12 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did, except for the Turkey photo. Not the most difficult hike I’ve ever done, but I wouldn’t call it easy either. I did have to stop and catch my breath a couple of times on the way up.
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts on this trip. First, this was probably the best few days of scooter riding I have ever done. This reminded me a lot of my younger days when I would go to HSTA rallys and spend a few days screaming around on curvy roads with other like minded riders. I was riding much faster bikes back then and mostly riding with other riders on sport or sport touring bikes. Between being on a 150cc scooter and getting a "bit" older:gerg I have slowed down a bit but the fun factor is still there. I have learned the roads better since there and the roads themselves were better than what we rode back then.

IMO, there are 4 things that determine how good or much fun a ride is. First is the roads themselves which includes the curves, scenery and traffic. These roads were hard to beat for a curvaholic like me. IMO we just rode some of the very best roads in the country.

Second is the weather. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty good. It was so much cooler than much of the country. We hit some rain and wet roads but not enough to have that much effect on the fun.

Third is the people, both on the ride and the people I meet on the ride. The people on this ride were great. I hope to ride with everyone on this ride again.

Last is the bike itself. I wish my Like had a bit more power, especially when going up hills. Other than that it's pretty comfortable. It consistently got over 90 MPG. It was a real blast on the tight twisty roads, especially some of the ones we rode on Wednesday. It's a keeper!

I had so much fun I'm already thinking about next year. Most likely I'll set up another "beat the heat" ride out of Maggie Valley next year. Next time I'll set it up well in advance unlike this year when it was a last minute thing.

For all of you who came and rode with me I'd like to say THANKS! You were a big part of why this was so much fun. I hope to see you all again next year if not earlier.

Now I have some stuff to get done around the house but I will be doing some riding the next few months, probably some trips as well.

For those of you not on the ride, thanks for following along!
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at almost 11 acres at the top of a 4600’ mountain here today. It was difficult to keep myself from calling in an offer. Such a spectacular area!
    norton73, sealsam, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  9. Sirkitrider

Sirkitrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Agree with all the above and thanks for the pics and ride report!

Sirkitrider
    klaviator likes this.
  10. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report. I'm ready for retirement as well. I have five scoots in the basement and don't get to enjoy them as much as I'd like.
    tonymarchman, Bueller and klaviator like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the problems with fantastic rides like the one I just did is I get spoiled. I really should set up a local ride this weekend but it's going to be 90+ degrees and the roads near here, while pretty good, just don't compare to what I rode last week.

I just got off the phone with my riding buddy Steve who has appeared many times in this report. He is getting ready to go on a 25 day, 10,000 mile, 48 state ride. We were discussing the great roads up around Boone, NC and the gears in my head started to grind:D Maybe I need to take a ride up in that direction. Maybe I need to do a long ride with a different destination every night. I've got some things already scheduled in September and October but there is plenty of time to work in a ride. Then I have to decide on which bike to ride but I'm leaning towards the Like. Might as well rack up some miles before the Warranty expires.

Oh yeah, I should go shopping for a new dual sport bike but I'm just not in a rush. I'll wander over to Allsport sometime this week. I like the KLX250 but it's not exactly what I want. I doubt anyone will build what I want anytime soon. I'd Like a 300cc, 300 pound dual sport with at least a 3 gallon tank and a reasonably comfortable seat. The BMW G310GS comes close but is around 370 pounds and has a bunch of plastic to break in a fall and limited suspension travel. It's probably a great road bike but not nearly the dirt bike the KLX is.
    Heatery, Stubanger, Bueller and 5 others like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda interested in the new KLX230. I had a KLX250 a few years ago, but it was a little too tall for me. That wouldn't be an issue for you.
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. 15's Pop

15's Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good stuff:clap:clap:clap. enjoyed the read.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Terrific Win, absolutely beautiful.

Really appreciate the way you document and catalog your rides, looks like a good time for all!
    klaviator likes this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since seat height isn't much of an issue for me, I'll take the extra performance of the 250 over the 230.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad to have you following along. One of these days we'll have to meet up. We're only around 2 hours apart.
    15's Pop likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam. I'm hoping that one of these days I'll be documenting a ride that you are on too. Once winter comes and the riding slows down here I'll start planning a trip out west.
  18. 15's Pop

15's Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah! i'm going to be up your way this fall--at some point. not sure on the timing... we can chat later.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Are you going to Vintage fest?
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I took a ride over to Decatur today. I saw something a little different so I pulled in and checked it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I stopped a Allsport. They still had the KLX250 in the showroom. They quoted me $5191 OTD. :hmmmmm

I'm guessing they would come down some from that since bikes just aren't selling. They told me PWCs sold well this years and the RE's are selling well but Japanese bikes not so much.
    Heatery, popscycle, Stubanger and 7 others like this.