Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    You could buy 3 250cc Hawks for that!
    Stubanger likes this.
  2. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LST325 was just in Chattanooga for a week. For me it was an interesting tour as my dad was on an LST in the south Pacific 1944-45.
    bomose, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I originally named this thread because I was "touring" around the Rocket City full throttle on a 150cc scooter. Today I decided to do that again. I went out to get the scooter tag and briefly got on I-565 with my Like 150i. The speed limit is 70MPH but full throttle was actually enough to pass a few vehicles:rayof

I went and took some of the same pics that I took years ago with my Super 8 in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I stopped at Cycle Gear. There wasn't anything new there.

I got gas. This was the cheapest I have seen in a while.

[​IMG]

I only got 1.3 gallons so I didn't exactly save enough to pay for a new bike:(

Then I stopped a Freedom Powersports but nothing they had really interested me.

Well, this example of Alabama ATGATT caught my eye.:scratch

[​IMG]
    Heatery, BillUA, Stubanger and 15 others like this.
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting about the LST. Newscasts down here in B'ham never mentioned it, to my knowledge. My wife and I went to see it today. A little more crowded than when you went. My dad's twin brother served on one in Korea. They even fired the rear 40mm Bofors . I can't imagine the noise when under attack off Okinawa, as my FIL was. IMG_7962.JPG IMG_7974.JPG
    Heatery, BillUA, gulfcoaster and 9 others like this.
  5. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In case of an emp attack would those old ships still operate?
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed seeing that LST while it was docked in Chattanooga. Sure don't miss riding in them flat bottom ships. The longest day I spent in the Marines
    was stagging equipment to be loaded out the Philippines into one.
    bomose and klaviator like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Unless they "upgraded" the electrical systems I would think that they would.
  8. smack doogle

smack doogle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, the US Navy still uses smaller landing craft of that era with the SEABEES and some of the Amphibious Units on both the East and West coasts. I was with ACB2 out of Little Creek, VA from 2011-2014. As an IT, rigging radio gear onboard those craft for modern GPS and network capabilities was not fun (I managed to liberally use duct tape to make antenna's work when necessary making my young ET nerds shake their heads).

Functionally speaking, for getting gear and personnel on and off the beech, they work fine and those old diesels just keep thumping along.

Here's an example of one of the craft ACU has, similar, but bigger than ours at ACB2.

https://www.alamy.com/virginia-beach-va-july-26-2018-sailors-assigned-to-amphibious-construction-battalion-acb-2-uses-a-caterpillar-d7dozer-to-push-off-an-assault-craft-unit-acu-2-landing-craft-utility-lcu-1600-from-utah-beach-onboard-joint-expeditionary-base-little-creek-fort-story-during-the-trident-sun-18-exercise-trident-sun-18-is-a-maritime-prepositioning-force-mpf-operation-intended-to-provide-training-to-reserve-component-personnel-with-regards-to-the-in-stream-offload-of-military-vehicles-and-equipment-image218536873.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=417252E1-0614-475C-A4B6-25BEA9D843F2&p=725760&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo=bar&st=0&pn=1&ps=100&sortby=2&resultview=sortbyPopular&npgs=0&qt=acb%202&qt_raw=acb%202&lic=3&mr=0&pr=0&ot=0&creative=&ag=0&hc=0&pc=&blackwhite=&cutout=&tbar=1&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&imgt=0&dtfr=&dtto=&size=0xFF&archive=1&groupid=&pseudoid=&a=&cdid=&cdsrt=&name=&qn=&apalib=&apalic=&lightbox=&gname=&gtype=&xstx=0&simid=&saveQry=&editorial=1&nu=&t=&edoptin=&customgeoip=&cap=1&cbstore=1&vd=0&lb=&fi=2&edrf=&ispremium=1&flip=0&pl=
    bomose and klaviator like this.
  9. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I finally went for my first out of town ride since Maggie Valley. Why haven't I been riding? Just slacking off I guess:D Actually I just found out I had a good reason. Before I went to Maggie Valley I got really sick for a day but then got better and went on the trip. After I got back I never completely shook whatever I had so I eventually went to my doctor to get checked out. She said based on the symptoms it's possible I had lyme disease and put me on antibiotics just in case. Yesterday the lab results came back and I had antibodies for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever:eekers I googled it and it's a pretty serious disease. Luckily the antibiotics she prescribed are also effective against this disease.

So I got out and rode about 175 miles in N. Alabama and TN. I lucked out and it was cloudy and cool until lunchtime. I took a few pics.

Madison County Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bridge in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]
    I grabbed the Scooter tag with this crappy cell phone pic in Lynchburg.

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After Lynchburg I took 129 and Delina rd to the Old Delina Country Stor. I had some close encounters with some large birds.

[​IMG]

I just went to Delina to get lunch but had the added bonus of being able to check out these vintage cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My rear tire was looking a little worn out so I stopped at Midway Cycles and ordered a new tire.
    Stubanger, Amphib, Heatery and 15 others like this.
  12. 15's Pop

15's Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    glad to hear you're feeling better. and taking nourishment.
    klaviator likes this.
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    glad your over the fever, that's scary
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was up early this morning and it looked like the sunrise would be interesting so I headed out.

[​IMG]

Just down the road:

[​IMG]

Then I rode into town to grab the scooter tag. I won't post the boring pic I took of my scooter in front of a Verizon store here.
    Stubanger, Heatery, popscycle and 7 others like this.
  15. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    Are you near Barbers?
    sealsam likes this.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:

That's a great shot Win, sure glad to see 'Her Majesty' out and about!
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm about 2 hours from Barbers. I will be going to the Vintage Fest there in October.
  18. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    That shouldbe fun!
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    gulfcoaster, black 8 and MYUMPH like this.
  20. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8 and klaviator like this.