Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking through the Highlights I see that I wasn't the only one having fun on a small scooter at Deal's Gap!

[​IMG]
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :raabia Win; you need a"perky" passenger like in the last photo on the highlights page.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

I think that this is about as close as I'm going to get:

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH and B10Dave like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was up early this morning so I headed out to get some sunrise pics.

On the Tennessee River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my way home I saw the sun coming up so I stopped and took more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    At the Motorcycle Alabama booth at the Barber vintage festival.
    1004191000.jpg
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got on the road early this morning headed for the Barber Vintage Festival. Got a couple of sunrise shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a comfortable ride down but by the time I got there it was getting hot. Someone told me it hit 101 in Birmingham today but it didn't seem any hotter than around 95 or so:D

I mostly hung out at the Motorcycle Alabama booth but I did walk around some and take some pics.

The real crowd shows up on Saturday but there were a few people and bikes here today.

[​IMG]

Janus had a booth. Their bikes are new but fit into the vintage theme here.

[​IMG]

One of the shows here. I didn't see it but I guess there are bikes riding around on vertical walls or some crazy stuff like that.

[​IMG]

A rider warming up.

[​IMG]

The landing zone was a giant inflatable ramp.

[​IMG]

Checking out the new Super Cub. First time seeing one in person today. I saw this one and one parked near my scooter.

[​IMG]

The Grom is considered a small bike but it's not really that small.

[​IMG]

I just can't think of any words for some things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Ruckus??

[​IMG]

Highly modified Monkey bike. The wheels look oversize.

[​IMG]

Did a lap around the park. Nice view of the track from here.

[​IMG]

I'll be going back tomorrow. Hope to see some of you there. I'll be at the Motorcycle Alabama booth much of the time. Booth K10-12 in the Swap Meet section.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I love the look of that Griffin 250... I wish I were closer to Goshen, IN so I could do one of their Discovery Days... You get to tour the factory, do a group test ride, meet and eat with likewise enthusiast... tickets are $25.00

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/discoverydays#tickets
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind if I'm ever going to be up in that area.
    black 8 likes this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There's something about the sight and sound of 1005191016.jpg a bunch of bikes ripping around a track:wings currently watching 500cc vintage bikes.
    B10Dave, Heatery, Stubanger and 5 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Vintage off road racing about to begin.

1005191254.jpg
    norton73, B10Dave, Samspade and 9 others like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    What are the chances???

I looked at this vintage 1981 Yamaha XT250 Enduro today. I did a test ride on it and it was a markedly different from the modern bikes I am used to.... seriously thinking about getting this as my project bike... I have to do some research about this model since I didn't start riding until 2008...
    IMG_1820.jpg
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator - while riding around the Blue Ridge Mountains this past week, I noted how much I appreciated the engine braking of my Moto Guzzi V7. Made me wonder about riding a scooter there.

I have ridden a scooter in VT ski country, but is was not nearly as tight & twisty, nor alternately on and off the power & brakes compared to western NC. Seems like the relative lack of engine braking would mean that the brakes get worked much harder?
    klaviator likes this.
  13. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you had a good time here down south. I think my Dad and I are going tomorrow.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Absolutely FANTASTIC day today but also a very long day. I'll have a lot to write about and a lot of pics to post tomorrow.
    B10Dave, Heatery, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Rudy, I remember reading the review of this bike when it came out in Cycle World magazine. I may still have that issue, I'll look for it when I get a chance. I briefly considered buying one but went with a bigger street bike. I doubt it will be a super exciting bike but should make a fun project bike.
    black 8 likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Scooters work great on those tight and twisty roads. They are way less effort to ride on the really tight stuff than most motorcycles. I think that everyone that was with me at Maggie Valley in August would agree with me. Yes the CVT won't work as well as a manual on steep hills, up or down but it's not a big deal. All of my scooters have had good brakes. My Like 150i has fantastic brakes. I have ridden all of my scooters on those roads. The only brake pads I have ever replaced on any of my scooters were on my Super 8. I replaced the front pads at around 30,000 miles.

The biggest issue with scooters on those roads are not the CVT or lack of power. Lack of cornering clearance is the biggest issue for me but I can still go fast enough around the curves to have fun.
    B10Dave and Heatery like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have been to Barber a few times before. I went on Friday. I always had a good time and I expected to have a good time again.......I was wrong.:eek7 Some days you just don't get what you expect.

I got on the road before 6. In the past I would take the fastest route there which was almost all interstate highways. Since I-20 is completely closed through Birmingham I too a different route both days. While the roads I took aren't the twisty roads I really prefer they are reasonably scenic and much more relaxing than the interstate. On yesterdays ride I was able to watch the sun come up from my left. I didn't get any pics but I enjoyed the ride. It was a bit chilly but with a forecast high of 96 I didn't mind being a bit cold.

I got to Barber in a relaxed mood and good state of mind. Of course as soon as I got close there were bikes everywhere. This is not some small podunk event. I think the normal attendance is around 80,000 for the weekend and a high percentage of those people are on bikes.

Getting into the Barber Motorsports park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I was early it wasn't hard to find a spot to park. I took of all my riding gear and stashed it under the seat or in the Tailbox of my Majesty and headed towards the Motorcycle Alabama booth. I didn't get far when I saw a really nice looking Vespa GTS. The rider was still there so I complimented him on the color scheme. We ended up talking for probably 10 minutes. It turns out he is an inmate here ( @craiger527 ). He was super enthusiastic about his 2019 GTS. He had a BV350 prior to the Vespa and is also a motorcycle guy. He currently has a Multistrada. We talked about how much fun scooters are and why aren't more people riding them. Hopefully we can get together for a ride someday.

Craig, it was great meeting and talking to you:wave

[​IMG]

I wish I had taken another pic of Craig's GTS from the side. The tan seat really compliments the color of the scooter and looks fantastic.

It's always great meeting other inmates and really great when they are also scooter enthusiasts:rayof

So my day at barber got off to a great start.:wings
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I walked towards the MA booth. A couple of "interesting" bikes I saw on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The MA booth. That's @maydaymike 's GTS. He bought it a few months ago and I think he has over 7,000 miles on it. Another Scooter convert!

[​IMG]

So what do we do at this booth? Well, we mainly hang out and have a good time. There are coolers full of all kinds of ice cold drinks and even some food. We have a bunch of chairs set up and we have shade. It's a great place to hang out. It costs money to have a booth here. We pay for it by selling stuff our members donate. It's a good way to get ride of old stuff we no longer need. This year I got rid of 2 old helmets, a Fox kidney belt that i must of bought around 15 years ago but never used and a pair of gloves that I bought back in the 80s when I lived in San Diego and was riding my FJ1100. They were truly vintage gloves. Red, white and blue with metal rivets in the palms. I kind of hated to get rid of them but I haven't worn them in years. By the time I left on Saturday all but one helmet had sold. We make enough money to pay for the booth.

So why would someone buy a beat up old helmet? Sometimes someone will buy a bike they didn't plan on buying and need a helmet to ride it home!
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Soon it was time to wander around and take in some of the sights. I headed over to the Vendors section. Another Janus pic just for @black 8

[​IMG]

I stopped at the Bates Leathers booth where Jerry ( @TrashCan ) would be hanging out if not for his recent crash. I talked to one of Jerry's friends a bit. Warner is a regular at the Deal's Gap breakfast club. He told me more details on Jerry. he has been moved to the UT medical center in Knoxville which is much closer to home. He had another successful surgery to put a rod in his leg. With two broken legs it will be a while before he is up and about.:(

Two years ago I bought some mesh pants from a vendor here but they ended up being shorter than I liked so I ordered a longer pair.

Other than that I didn't see to much of interest in the vendors section. I headed down to view the racetrack.
    Stubanger, zookster, Heatery and 5 others like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that Jerry is doing better than expected from his accident...
    CMS, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.