Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are times I wish I could really write. I use pictures as a crutch but sometimes they aren't enough. This is one of those times. As I sat down on a shady hillside and started watching the vintage racing, it was an experience I really don't have the words for. The glorious sounds of the various engines as they come screaming down the racetrack. The Angry hornets on meth sound of the old two strokes, the roar of four stroke singles and twins and the wail of inline fours at full throttle. The SPEED:ricky:ricky:ricky I think some of you know what I'm talking about.

All of us have adrenal Glands that sent adrenaline into our bodies under certain circumstances. I think some of us are born with another gland, I'll call it the motodrenal Gland. When around motorcycles it emits a hormone that makes us high and gives us a sense of euphoria. Well that gland was in high gear for me:happay

Some pics.

[​IMG]

A reminder that this is a dangerous sport.

[​IMG]

It took a while to put out the fire.

[​IMG]

Screaming around the racetrack is something I would love to do. Something I have no desire to do but I find fascinating was also on display here.

[​IMG]

I have often seen this on TV but seeing it in person is just a completely different experience. What these guys go is unbelievable and absolutely amazing. I watched for a while.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing these guys are 40-50 feet in the air!

A closeup.

[​IMG]

Previously there where three of these guys up at once. I missed that shot but did get this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    kpinvt, craiger527, norton73 and 10 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One thing I always do at Barber is a lot of walking. There is just some much to see there. It's one of the few places I ever see a lot of small bikes. Bikes are parked almost everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These remind my of the minibikes I lusted after when I was young.

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Hanging out at the MA booth, someone was heading over to watch the cross country racing. I didn't even know they had that here so I went along to check it out.

To get around Barber you have three choices. Walk, Ride or ride the shuttle. Some places are a bit far to walk. The cross country racing was on the other side of the park. I walked over to my Scooter, put on my helmet and headed over. ATGATT? Not today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get to the viewing area involved a dirt/gravel parking lot followed by going down a dirt path. I had no idea how challenging it would be but figured my Majesty had an ADV sticker on it so it could handle it:D It wasn't bad. I parked it in the woods and went to find my friends.

So what was this cross county racing? It was a race through some trails in the woods on vintage dirt bikes.

Bikes like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The start on these races is interesting. Everyone has to kill their motor until the flag drops for the start. Some of these bikes just don't want to start. The whole group doesn't start at once, just one row at a time.

Here's the first row ready to go.

[​IMG]

The guy in the middle on the Penton had been unable to start his bike with the kickstarter so when the flag dropped he go the hole shot by pushing his bike forward and down the hill while the others were starting their bikes. He was hoping to bump start it but that didn't work so it was a mess as he blocked the trail with a dead bike.

[​IMG]

Another row getting ready to go.

[​IMG]

There they go! @FenceJumper09 is on the bottom right of the pic capturing the action. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be out there racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We walked down the hill to watch from a different angle.

Kyle ( @ohgood ) made himself comfortable:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right after the spot in the pic above the trail takes a hard right turn and then goes up a long steep hill. It was cool listening to the various motors at full throttle going up the hill.

[​IMG]

We have been in a drought so as you can imagine it was dusty. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Then it was time for me to head back. As I expected my scooter had a nice coating of dirt on it. I put on my helmet and got ready to go back up the dirt hill. I think someone was surprised I had ridden my big scooter down here. I heard someone make a comment about "Here, hold my beer and watch this":lol3

It was actually much easier going up then it had been coming down.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode back to the other side. I watched some more racing. The Cross country racing was cool but the road racing is much more my style.

[​IMG]

One of the things about the racing here is they put tow or three classes of bikes on the track at the same time. In one race they had two classes of vintage bikes and then a couple of modern electric bikes. I expected the E bikes to be silent but they made a whining sound as they went by. One of them was pretty fast and finished something like 4rth overall.

I also hung out some more at the MA booth. It was getting late and my plan was to leave before 5. There was rain in the forecast and I really wasn't keen on the idea of riding home through a thunderstorm in the dark. It's a 100+ mile ride.

Some times things don't go according to plan. In this case that was a good, no make that a great thing. As nice as this day had been so far, the best was still to come.....
    sealsam, Stubanger, zookster and 9 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If you remember back a few months, one of my riding friends passed away and I attended his memorial get together. If you don't remember (What? you don't remember every detail of my thread?:lol3) the details are here:https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-118#post-38166611

It was late afternoon. I would need to be leaving soon and the topic of discussion was what to do with Harvie's (Redclayrider) ashes. Two of Harvie's closest friends were Don and Chris who where both here. Don thought it would be fitting to scatter some of Harvie's ashes on the track. At the end of the day they do parade laps around the track and we had two tickets.

Chris didn't feel comfortable with riding on the track or with scattering the ashes. We finally came up with a plan. Don would scatter Harvie's ashes. I would ride behind him with Chris on the back. She would videotape it. That meant I wouldn't get on the road until almost dark but I was honored as well as excited about having the chance to participate in this.

We headed over to the paddock where this would begin.

Riding through the paddock.

[​IMG]

Not exactly ATGATT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had some time to kill. The races were running late and we wouldn't go until they were done. Don decided to check out the main building at the track. Where we supposed to be there? I plead ignorance:dunno

We just followed Don. We ended up in the media center. I guess if you act like you belong there no one will question you. A view of the track from a different angle.

[​IMG]

Eventually we went over and signed the waiver for the ride. There were a lot of bikes so they split us into two groups. We would be in the second group.

Finally it was time to go. Chris and I mounted up. I handed Don my camera to get a pic of us. The expression on my face would lead you to believe I was getting ready for a root canal:lol3

Ignore that. I was really excited:happay

[​IMG]

An interesting thing about this pic, I didn't realize it at the time but Warner, the guy I had talked to about earlier about Jerry is in the Pic just to my right wearing the Bates T shirt.

You may have noticed that I wasn't exactly ATGATT. It was hot and I figured we wouldn't be going very fast. It seemed like the thing to do at the time:dunno If you had told me that I would be riding around the Barber racetrack on a scooter, wearing shorts, I would have said you were crazy:loco

Lined up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

You might have noticed that I wasn't the only one not ATGATT.
    Amphib, craiger527, sealsam and 13 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Out on the track!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was expecting the pace to be really slow. There was a motorcycle cop leading and another trailing the ride. But before I knew it we had gone to ludicrous speed.

[​IMG]

We would have gone faster but that couple in shorts on an old Honda 350 was holding us up. Passing was strictly forbidden. That's OK. That's not why we were here.

[​IMG]

Don had some of Harvie's ashes in a plastic bottle. He was periodically dropping some.

[​IMG]

There was a photographer taking our pics as we did this. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics as well as the video.

[​IMG]
    Amphib, craiger527, sealsam and 10 others like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good bye Harvie. I hope you enjoyed the ride....and the view. Riding into the sunset was an appropriate way to end this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    horseiron1, kpinvt, Amphib and 15 others like this.
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Respect! ^^^
  10. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also glad to hearJerry is doing better, keep us all posted, this is the first I've heard since his accident. Maybe down the road Jerry can jump in here and say hi. cms
    klaviator likes this.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    @klaviator the RIGHT people were involved with those send off shenanigans. it was beyond cool to watch from the hillside.

good to spend some jabber time with you at the motoal tent too !

i rode home just as a few drops started falling, and wondered who would be a drowned rat, as i are supper at home an when the bottom fell out !

that scruffy weirdo @FenceJumper09 is always egging people on, until they crash... can't believe he pushed that grandpa over. no respect !

;-)

but i had a great time with y'all.

2019 is a wrap
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kyle. It was great hanging out with you and all the other cool kids at the MA booth. It's one of the main reasons I go to this event.

That reminds me of another thing I forgot. One of the guys on the Maggie Valley Scooter ride stopped by and said Hi.
    @wmailhos Wes thanks for stopping by. It was good seeing you again.:wave Hope we can ride together again in the future.

After the ride on the track I was pretty pumped. It was not just the ride on the track, it was also being lucky enough to participate in this. Then there was Chris, she was even more pumped than me. She said something about this being the best thing she had ever done:happay ( I don't remember her exact words) She deserved to be in on this and I was glad to be able to help make that happen.

So when the track ride was done we headed back to the MA tent and hung out a bit. It was getting dark and I decided I needed to head home. There were some nasty storms around but the radar looked OK at least for the start of the trip. I rode some wet roads and into some light rain off and on but i didn't even bother to put my rain jacket. I didn't have rain pants. I stopped at the Burger King in Locust Fork for dinner. I don't normally eat at BK but it was getting late, I was hungry and I wanted to check the radar.

When I got off the scooter a gal asked me if it was wet enough for me. I told her I barely got wet. She was surprised and told me they had some nasty storms come through and lost power three times. If I had left for home earlier I would probably encountered one of those storms.

After dinner I continued. I hit a little bit of rain off and on but nothing bad. I did see lightning in the distance a few times. I think lucked out on the timing of this ride and just managed to avoid the nasty weather.

I got home very tired but still pumped. This was a day I will never forget.
  13. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of these images just disappeared before I got to the end of the post! What's with that?
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :dunno They all show up for me.
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems here.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
    klaviator and strommonster like this.
  17. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klav,
    Great story and pics. So you went for one day? Maybe next year I will go.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great send off for Harvie.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went for two days. I think next year I may go for all three. There is way too much there to see in one day. You need to go next year.
  20. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if they were running Friday or Saturday, but on Sunday the sidecars were out. That was my first time seeing them, and it was something else!!