Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning sunset pictures. Well done
    klaviator likes this.
  2. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the awesomeness with us as well . . .
    klaviator likes this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics Win. Thanks.
    klaviator likes this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot to me when I get replies like this.
    B10Dave and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The last pics I posted in this thread were of the sunset on Thursday night. The sun set for more than just that night, in more ways than one.:( Two days of rain followed by two more gloomy days and not much riding were not a big deal. Logging on Friday morning and reading various threads on the forum was more of a big deal as I clicked a new thread and was shocked to read that an old friend had just been killed when he hit a deer on the BRP:( First Harvie a few months back, then Jerry a week or so ago and now another. Here's the link to that thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-best-friend-killed-by-a-deer-today.1413360/

I rode with Gary a lot back in the 90s and early 2000s. I had just recently spent some time with him as we both happened to be riding the Deal's Gap area at the same time. I have been working on getting pics of my friends because I know they won't be around forever. I'm glad I got this one as well as a few others. the story is a few pages back in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...the-rocket-city.647784/page-122#post-38451908

[​IMG]

Gary was a very good rider and a great guy to spend time with. Many of my memories of riding back between around 94 and 04 have Gary in them. In the pic above Gary was 70 years old......and still riding high performance sportbikes although he had slowed down some.

I wish I had taken more pics "back in the day".

RIP Gary:cry
    Heatery likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    So while I feel bad about Gary this is much harder to those who were really close to him. I doubt that any of them read this thread but just in case, my deepest condolences to Gary's friends and family.

So I was a a down mood for a few days. I spent much of that time reading through on of the ride reports in Day Tripp'n. The name of this thread is 'you are going to die'.... by Kamchat. Kamchat was killed in a motorcycle accident this past April. He was 61, the same age as me.

So why would I read this thread?

In a little over 9 years this thread had 1.4 million views. That doesn't happen unless the thread resonates with a lot of viewers. This one really resonates with me. It has been like a really great novel, one that I just can't put down. This thread is about sportbike riding in beautiful Scotland.....and it is so much more. Kamchat was a great writer and took great pictures. After reading the first 250 pages of the thread I feel like I have actually experienced some exciting sport riding in Scotland. But, like I wrote earlier, it's much more than that.

I'm not a good writer so I can't do justice to what I think of this thread so I'll just post a link and leave it at that: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-are-going-to-die.540395/

I do plan on finishing reading this thread, only about 75 pages left. That won't happen tomorrow as the forecast is 70+ degrees and sunny so I'll be going out for a ride:ricky:ricky

Next weekend is also looking nice if a little cool. I'm going to try to organize a group ride, probably up into Tennessee to enjoy the fall colors.
    Heatery, gulfcoaster, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:

Sorry for your loss Win. These things are never easy watching the people around us pass away.

My condolences to you and Gary's family...
    gulfcoaster, MYUMPH and The Virginian like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rudy. No it isn't easy. One of the things I have come to realize is that riding, at least for me, is more than just the bikes, the roads, the scenery and the rides. A big part of it has been the people I have had the honor to meet and get to know along the way. The downside of this is that people don't live forever and it's painful for us when they pass away. So it's not easy but still much better than never having met those people in the first place.
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Savor every ride; Ride In Peace.
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clif. Sounds like some great advice.:thumb

I was hoping for some sunshine today but it's pretty gloomy right now. I'll be heading out shortly anyway.
    staticPort likes this.
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what to say, so much loss in the riding community lately. I too am sorry for your loss.
    klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :(:^^^
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Most of my friends through the years have been motorcycle riders (and some scooter riders). Riding is a risky activity so this sort of thing is unfortunately going to happen. None of us live forever so we might as well enjoy the years we have.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since we are on the topic of enjoying the years we have, I went out yesterday and enjoyed some time on road. I headed back up into Tennessee. Every time I head up that way I remember how nice the roads are. I am really lucky to have so many fun roads so close by. It's about 35 miles and then the good stuff starts. As a result of the ride report I have been reading I decided to try some new techniques for taking pictures. I normally have my camera just hanging around my neck. This time I used a much longer strap and put the camera in my jacket pocket pulling it out when needed. This proved to be much more awkward than I expected but it did allow me to get some pics on the go from a different perspective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] \

@Kamchat took pics like this but he was riding a sportbike. It probably made more sense for him.

One through the windshield.

[​IMG]

From a little bridge.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the sunshine predicted by the weather guessers didn't happen. I was hoping it would clear up later but it never did. At least the temperature in the 60s was about perfect for riding.

The roads around here aren't super twisty like my favorite roads in East TN, N. GA and NC but they are still very curvy and hilly and make for a fun ride:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

It was very peaceful and there was virtually no traffic.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Skooter, bomose and 9 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Old abandoned buildings like this one are very common in this area.

[​IMG]

The colors would have been much better in bright sunlight but.......

[​IMG]

I did some exploring and found some new roads. One of them turned into a gravel road.

[​IMG]

I was stopped at this spot for probably 10 minutes and I think 2 cars came by.

[​IMG]

Another new thing I was trying today was taking pics from a lower perspective.

[​IMG]

Imagine this scene in bright sunlight.

[​IMG]

I'll be coming up this way again next week but I won't be by myself so I probably won't stop as much to take pics. I took over 130 pics on this ride. Don't worry, I won't post them all. I have already deleted a bunch.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    While I spent a lot of time on narrow, bumpy roads in the middle of nowhere, I also rode some smooth roads that actually had a centerline.

[​IMG]

Roads like this would be fun on a high speed sportbike but I was feeling mellow, on a scooter and keeping in mind that deer are a real hazard this time of year. That doesn't mean I wasn't enjoying the ride. Even this wide open road had some nice curves.

I turned off on another small country road.

[​IMG]

Another common sight around here are churches like this one.

[​IMG]

The majority of my pics were taken with my Olympus TG5 waterproof camera. Besides being so so convenient to use, it takes great pictures. In shows the colors better than my Sony. The only real advantage my Sony has is its 50x zoom lens. I did pull it out and use it a few times but the only pic I decided to post was this next one.

[​IMG]

The advantage of that zoom lens is that I can get way back and then zoom in. It makes for a different perspective.

This next pic is taken at the same place but with my Olympus.

[​IMG]

A few minutes later I was riding by a corn field and remembered that the scooter tag was corn. So I stopped and got a pic with my phone.

[​IMG]

I don't take that many pics with my phone but in this case I would be able to post as soon as I got a good signal.

I headed towards Lewisburg where I planned on getting lunch, posting this pic and finding a new tag. There were some nice roads on the way.

[​IMG]

I tend to take my pics on the straights but there are actually a lot of curves on these roads.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Skooter, bomose and 9 others like this.
  17. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fall foliage is amazing on those pics, some color up this way, but nothing like you have.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Lunch was at Taco Bell.....again despite the warning of a few of the people following this thread:D

Just down the road I found something for the new scooter tag, taken with my cell phone.

[​IMG]

I took some with my camera as well.

[​IMG]

This was at a Tennessee National Guard Armory.

Back out in the country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoying a smooth curvy road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Skooter, Stubanger and 11 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It would have been much better if it was a sunny day.
    Skooter and Ride2Live/Live2Ride like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There are so many nice roads in this area. If you could see the route I took on a map you would think I was totally lost, or maybe on some serious drugs:lol3

[​IMG]

Did I mention there was NO traffic on many of these roads?

[​IMG]

Imagine how this would look on a sunny day.

[​IMG]

There are a couple of steep hairpin curves around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was riding along, saw something, thought of @popscycle and did a U turn to get this next pic. I was hoping for a better pic with my scooter in it but it would have required riding through very deep baseball sized chunky gravel so this will have to do.

[​IMG]

This seems to be a busy line as I have often seen trains here. Continuing on my ride:

[​IMG]

I found a few new roads toward the end of my ride. This was one them and is the last pic I took on this ride.

[​IMG]

Thanks to all of you following along. It looks like a couple of rainy days but I hope to get back out in a few days.
    Heatery, Skooter, ultrasheen and 13 others like this.