Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was occupied with family business yesterday and didn't get to ride, but your pictures are almost as good as taking a ride, Win.
    You mention "serious drugs" -- INMHO, riding roads like these is the best therapy I know!
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My next planned ride will be on Sunday. I'm hoping to get some others to join me in the same area as I rode yesterday. If anyone is interested the details are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-alabama-riders.1092367/page-44#post-38693571

I also posted this on a couple of other sites so there is no telling how many or what kind of bikes will show up. This may sound risky to those of you who haven't been on my rides but I have been very lucky with the quality of riders who have showed up on my previous rides.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well riding does give me a "high". I guess that riding is my drug of choice!

Come on out and join us on Sunday. I'm hoping to have a good group. See the previous post for details. If that's too early or far then maybe meet us for lunch at the Old Delina Country stor. I expect to get there around 11:30.
    Ride2Live/Live2Ride likes this.
  4. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out of town now, but will see how the weekend develops and let you know. That's a great area to ride.
    klaviator likes this.
  5. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a blackberry smoke song titled another chance. Don't die asking for another chance,,,LIVE your life.!
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rain finally stopped and I took a ride to Wally World to pick up some Halloween candy. Coming home I saw something I hadn't seen in a long time.

[​IMG]

A FORD PINTO!!! And it looked to be in mint condition. I can't say I thought that much of the Pinto back in the day but it looked somewhat exotic now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d love to come ride with you, but currently I’m stuck in rainy Indiana. No hope for a ride soon. I’ll get there sometime next year. Ride safe and post pictures
    klaviator likes this.
  8. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I like the tag. They were known for fires.
    BHlvr and klaviator like this.
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Actually, none of them ever caught fire. That was all faked sensationalism. The "testers" detonated the fuel tanks to show a "what if" scenario.

Fake news then, fake news now.
    klaviator likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to do another Maggie Valley Scooter ride next July or August except this year I'll plan it months in advance. Hopefully it will give a lot of the people on Battle scooters the chance to meet each other and do some great riding.
    Ride2Live/Live2Ride likes this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Pinto's didn't exactly have a great reputation back when they were common. My brother had one and all I can say about it was that it gave him a lot of experience working on cars. The floor was rusted out and he used plywood to keep his feet from hitting the road. He replaced the motor. He was in a wreck and replaced many of the body panels. It ended up as a multicolored car. It was orange. Add some gray bondo in various places, a green hood and red fender.....I wish i had a pic.

The one I saw today looked really cool. I think it's great to see an old car like this in such good condition and still on the road.
    Skooter, MYUMPH and B10Dave like this.
  12. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a Pinto wagon sitting in a lot just south of Huntsville on 231. Been there for many years. I sometimes think about stopping and asking about it, but never have.
    klaviator likes this.
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    The one in your picture looks great (for a Pinto)! My mom had a brown '72 Pinto, until my ex second fiancee "borrowed" it and went back to her abusive ex-husband. The police wouldn't even get involved. They said it was a "family dispute".

That car had a top speed of about 65-70mph. Around as fast as a VW Beetle!
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My mom's Beetle was good for around 90. She drove that beetle like it was a sports car!
    B10Dave and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My Buddy Steve ( @Raptorman ) rode in yesterday and spent the night. Then this morning @2372ighost drove up this morning from the Birmingham area hauling his Vespa for today's ride. The three of us rode to Ardmore where we eventually had 11 riders show up.

I never did get a pic of the whole group but this was most of us at the Shell station in Ardmore.

[​IMG]

We had a mix of bikes including 3 scooters, a dual sport bike, a Harley, a Triumph, and a variety of Japanese bikes. We had riders from Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia.

We headed out for some fun country roads in Middle Tennessee.

[​IMG]

Interesting effects from the light and my camera.

[​IMG]

Waiting for everyone at an intersection.

[​IMG]

These were real country roads. We didn't see any traffic lights on the ride except when we rode into Lewisburg later in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The colors where past their peak but there was some color in some places.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Lunch was at the old Delina Country Stor.

[​IMG]

This is a really interesting place and both the owner and his wife spent some time talking to us and telling stories about the place. The food was great too.

[​IMG]

It was great to be able to spend time with fellow riding enthusiasts.

[​IMG]

I gave the owner my camera so he could take our pic but he didn't fully push the button so no pics with me in them.

Some pics outside after lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I love my bikes and I love riding, The people I have had the chance to ride with over the years are also a big part of why I love riding. I trying to take more pics of them since I'll want to be able to remember them as well when I look back at my ride reports in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Time for some more riding:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

We got stuck behind a slow moving truck that was using too much of the road for me to feel comfortable passing so I pulled over to give it some room so we could enjoy this nice curvy road. It also gave me the chance to take a pic of some of the group.

[​IMG]

Over the shoulder shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a bunch of these. Some came out, some didn't. the strap ended up in many of the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These roads weren't the smoothest around but they were scenic and fun to ride. A dual sport or adventure bike with long travel suspension would be best for these roads but we all had fun regardless of what we were riding.

[​IMG]
    Skooter, Stubanger, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We detoured into Lewisburg because a couple of the bikes had limited range and there where NO gas stations along the route. Our two riders from Tennessee headed home from there and the rest of us headed back South.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich was right behind me on his Vespa for most of the ride. Despite being on a 250, the smallest bike on the ride, he had no trouble keeping up.

[​IMG]

We stopped back in Delina to take this pic. There were too many cars here to do this after lunch.

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, B10Dave, amr2ul and 7 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One rider broke off and headed for home before Delina and another shortly afterwards. The rest of us rode back to Ardmore.

[​IMG]

We stopped in Ardmore, Kicked some tires and then split up and headed for home. I had a great day. A big thanks to everyone who joined up for this ride.

Three of us will be heading back out for some more riding tomorrow. The plan is Paint Rock Valley, Lynchburg, Winchester, Monteagle, Crow Mountain and back. It should be another great day:rayof
    kpinvt, Stubanger, B10Dave and 10 others like this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hadn't thought about a pinto in years, now they seem to be poping up all the time

I saw 2 for sale the other day and was talking about going to look at em

the wife keeps saying NO:lol3
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.