Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:

Same here.

My excuse is I don't want anything sharp near my throat in the mornings.
    B10Dave, zookster and klaviator like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    It’s nice to get caught up in your thread Win after ridin’ through the desert these few days...

Those fall colors sure do look good compared to our dry brush and fire season here in SoCal...
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rudy. I'm impressed with the trip you just made with a 4 decade old XT250. Looking forward to the detailed ride report.
    B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since i set up another ride for yesterday I faced my normal dilemma, which bike to ride:hmmmmm There are always a few factors to consider: roads I will be riding, other riders, weather and which bike do I feel like riding. In this case I felt like riding my Versys. On the other hand the forecast was for around 40 degrees for when I would be leaving in the morning. My Majesty has much better wind protection. The Majesty is also much more comfortable riding around at a sight seeing pace while the Versys seems to have "a need for speed". So I ended up taking the Majesty. I bundled up real good so 40 degrees was not an issue at all.

I stopped just a few miles from my house to take this pic.

[​IMG]

Here in Huntsville the leaves seem to be at peak right now. Just 40 miles north in Tennessee they were well past their peak. It's amazing the difference in such a short distance.

About 40 minutes later I pulled into the designated meeting spot, the Shell station in Ardmore. Ardmore sits right on the Alabama/Tennessee border so there is an Ardmore, Al and an Ardmore, Tn. The shell station is in Alabama but the welcome to Tennessee sign is about 100 yards down the road.

I was expecting three other riders to join me. One of those riders cancelled at the last minute so we ended up with 5 riders total:scratch

[​IMG]

Stephen (@Thinwater ) and his wife Natalee showed up as well as a couple of BMW riders who worked with Stephen. We talked a bit, let the temperature creep up a bit then headed off on a route similar to what we did last week. The leaves were definitely past peak but with the bight sunshine they were still pretty in places. The roads of course were the same as last week and fun to ride:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week everyone rode fairly close together which made for some good over the shoulder shots. This week that wasn't the case. I was still able to catch some of the other riders at turns.

[​IMG]

I cropped the above pic for a closeup.

[​IMG]
    zookster, bomose, norton73 and 9 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some colorful leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking a break.

[​IMG]

Since everyone else was either on a dual sport or an adventure bike I figured no one would complain if I took a gravel road so we did an easy gravel road. The end where I took this pic was paved.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Lunch was at the Old Delina Country Stor. There were probably a dozen bikes bikes outside when we got there. It's a great riding destination. The food was great as always and the owner came and talked to us like last time. I didn't get any good pics inside, just a couple of "selfies".

[​IMG]

The company and conversation was also great. Stephen and Natalee had a lot of stories from their TAT ride this summer. Natalee had all of 9 months of riding experience when they did this! But she made it! I know I wouldn't have attempted anything like that with 9 months of experience.

I went back to the big group of Bikers and asked it any of them were on ADV. I did this because @mrbreeze had posted that he would be there with some friends. Well, he was there so I got to put a face to a name on the internet. It's always cool to be able to do that. It turns out that the "bikers" where two CMA groups, one from Huntsville and one from Tennessee.

When the group was leaving a couple of them had questions about Natalee's CRF250L. Natallee is not the only one with short legs out there who needs a lowered dual sport. It is a nicely set up bike and is actually bored out to 300+ccs.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to go.

[​IMG]
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was nice meeting you @klaviator . It was a wonderful day. We were at the stor (that’s how they spell it) for an hour and 45 minutes. I had no idea we had been there that long. I was enjoying myself so much.
    Pepperlady and klaviator like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had a pretty long lunch as well, maybe not quite an hour and 45 minutes. I have always had a great experience at the Stor. Good food and company every time I have been there except when I was by myself.

We eventually got back on the road.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, shortly after i took that pic Natalee to a spill. We were turning left and she was looking at the scenery and not paying attention. By the time she noticed we were turning it was too late for her to safely make the turn and she low sided while trying. Her bike came down on her leg and twisted her ankle....Ouch! She was in a lot of pain and riding her bike home was not an option. So the plan was for Stephen to take her on the back of his bike and then come back for hers. We decided that wasn't going to work so plan B was for him to ride home, get his truck and come back for her. Luckily there was a church right across the road so Stephen rode her bike over there and then carried her over to the steps in front of the church. I waited with her until he came back.

They felt bad about "ruining" my ride but that just wasn't the case. I enjoy riding and spending time with other riders. When you ride with a group there is always the chance that someone will have a problem like a crash or breakdown. It's a risk I'm willing to take to have the pleasure of riding with others. This summer, just a few miles down the road, Scooter Rick's bike stopped running and I hung out with him for probably 2 hours waiting for a tow truck. Stuff like this is part of riding for me. In this case, I wish the circumstances were different but I enjoyed talking with Natalee and I think time probably passed much more quickly for her than if she had been waiting by herself.

So, if you read this Natalee I hope you heal up quickly and can get out riding before too long.

Since it was getting dark I headed the shortest route to the interstate and headed home. I did get to see the sunset and got a few pics.

[​IMG]

Blinded by the light!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the sun when down the sky to the west was red for quite a while. I took a bunch of pics but they didn't do the scene justice. This one was probably the best but does not show how red the sky was.

[​IMG]

I got home with less than 200 miles on the Odometer.

There is some real cold weather coming early this week but it looks like another decent day for a ride next Saturday. If the forecast holds I'll set up another ride. This one will probably stay in Alabama.
    simi.d, zookster, Macho Man2 and 10 others like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    here's to a quick recovery for ya Natalee... :beer...
  11. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad she wasn't seriously hurt.
  12. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for organizing the ride, staying with @Pepperlady, unfortunately its the same ankle she twisted this same weekend a year ago. Wearing the gear definitely pays off though without the motocross boots she wears each incident would have been much worse than a sprained ankle.
    MYUMPH, klaviator and Pepperlady like this.
  13. Pepperlady

Pepperlady n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I appreciate it.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  14. Pepperlady

Pepperlady n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks @klaviator for hanging with me while I waited for my hero, @Thinwater , to rescue me & my bike. I enjoyed getting to know you. I'll be off the bike for a bit to heal, but I will look forward to riding with you again. (I'll try not to drop it or wreck it next time...)

But, as someone at lunch said, "The more misery, the more epic the tale"
    MYUMPH, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  15. jrm927

jrm927 n00b

Oddometer:
    First Post! First of all, thanks for organizing the ride. Having lived in Madison for years, I am only now starting to get out and enjoy some of the beautiful roads/scenery that are available in our area. I'm looking forward to more rides and experiences and getting some more miles on the new bike. Get well soon @Pepperlady!

James
    klaviator and Pepperlady like this.
  16. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, @Pepperlady . I hope you heal quickly.
  17. Pepperlady

Pepperlady n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll be okay, eventually.....lol.
  18. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    If you need something to do while you are laid up, go to Youtube and search for "Itchy Boots".
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both of you for coming along. It's always a pleasure riding with you. Heal up quick, I hope you are not in too much pain.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good to see you on ADV. It's a great forum with all kinds of neat stuff and great people on it. I have literally met hundreds of people through this forum and that includes everyone on this ride.

Another good forum for Alabama riders is: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/ It's not nearly as active as ADV but we do have some really cool events.

I hope you stay active on the forum. I really like the format here. Unlike a blog where all the writing is done by the author of the blog, ride reports like this one allow for two way conversation. I think it adds to the ride report when people who were on the ride participate.

I hope to see you on more rides in the future. I'm hoping to set up another ride next Saturday but I feel like I have the flu so I'll have to see how I feel later in the week.
    black 8 likes this.