Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    +1²
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  2. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still = 1 :hmmmmm
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    I know...

I though about changing it to 3 but just left it at that for some humor... :lol3
    ultrasheen, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pepperlady and ultrasheen like this.
  5. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, we follow her regularly! but I'm always looking for some riders to watch in our few minutes of down time in the evenings :)

Thanks!
    mrbreeze and klaviator like this.
  6. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not too bad, just bad enough to make me really dread the beautiful weather that we are supposed to have next week while I am propped up healing while everyone else will be out riding :ricky
    MYUMPH, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  7. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! I just got caught up on Win's thread. Get well soon and we are all super happy it's not worse.

Eric
    Pepperlady and klaviator like this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing narrative and pictures. You sir are a class act setting up these rides and following through when an issue happens. Well done!

Eric
    Pepperlady, Skooter, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric. I really enjoy leading these rides. It's a great way to meet a lot of really nice people.
    The Virginian, MYUMPH and B10Dave like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Today was another gorgeous day with wall to wall sunshine and some bright fall colors. It was a bit chilly but not a problem if dressed for it. I left my house around 10 and headed for Freedom Powersports on the other side of Huntsville. I met three other riders there. We talked a bit with @acrorider who unfortunately had to work and couldn't join us.

Getting ready to go.

[​IMG]

I posted this ride on Motorcycle Alabama as well as here. These guys are all on MA. @SoloRider73 is on both.

I was on the Versys today.

[​IMG]

We headed south on 231.

[​IMG]

Then we took Union Grove Church Rd to 69 into Guntersville.

[​IMG]

We rode through Guntersville. The real fun started when to rode up the steep twisties on Wyeth Mtn rd and the nice curves once up the mountain. Some nice colors there as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we worked out way back to 227. 227 is a great road but just has too much traffic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a bunch of over the shoulder shots. Most of them were garbage but a few came out OK.

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, bomose and 14 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Continuing on 227.

[​IMG]

And then 67.

[​IMG]

I love riding along the water and 67 has a lot of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, bomose and 17 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our lunch stop was Tokyo Japan in Scottsboro. When we got there @Thinwater and @jrm927 were waiting for us.

[​IMG]

We had a good lunch and most of us probably ate too much.

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, acrorider and 14 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    During lunch Stephen told us he had his GPS tracker on so Natalee could see where he was. I hope you are feeling better Natalee:wave. Here's some pics to go along with the track.

We headed North out of Scottsboro through some fairly flat countryside. The mountains in the distance gave some promise of good riding to come:ricky

[​IMG]

We stopped to check something out. What could everyone be looking at?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The world famous rock zoo of course:jack

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, bomose and 16 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Jackson County road 39. It doesn't start out all that impressive.

[​IMG]

Eventually it has to climb up the side of Crow Mountain up ahead. When it does, watch out. It is probably the steepest twisty road in the state. The much more famous "dragon" is pretty tame compared to this road. I took some pics but they don't really show what this road is like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@jrm927 told me that they used to do SCCA hill climbs on this road. That must have been interesting!

The steep and really curvy part of 39 is only a couple of miles then it flattens out.

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, acrorider and 16 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we got to the end of 39 we took a right and ran back down Crow Mountain on CR33.

[​IMG]

33 is not as steep or twisty as 39 and is a rougher road. It's still fun and has some good spots to set up and take action pics. After we got to the bottom we turned around but I rode ahead and set up at one of those spots.

Unfortunately I was shooting into the sun so the pics didn't come out as well as many of the pics I have taken there in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EZMoney, Heatery, bomose and 15 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Everyone was waiting for me a little way up the road so we took a short break. I tried another over the shoulder shot while stopped and ended up with a bit of a selfie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued on. 33 to 79 to 146 to 65 through Paint Rock Valley.

I think this was 146.

[​IMG]

65:

[​IMG]

Then we got on 72 and headed towards Gurley where I planned to make our last stop. Before getting to my planned stop I lost part of the group. What happened? Lets just say it's not really an adventure if everything goes according to plan:D I'll let @Thinwater tell the story.
    EZMoney, Heatery, acrorider and 13 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was curious about the SCCA races on Crow mountain so I did a little research. Best I can tell the last race was in 2011. Here is an description of the course I found in my search:

"Crow Mountain Hill Climb serves up a challenging 1.85 mile uphill course with a 720 foot elevation change featuring 7 hairpin switchbacks nestled between a ¼ mile twisty drag race to the first turn, a ½ mile section with 3 separate “S” features, some 1/8 mile sprints, and a 6/10 mile high speed curved section with two blind left-handers. The course is fully lined with ditches, granite rock faces, and large trees which offer no margin for error. Most drivers say it was the fastest and scariest two minutes of their life."

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The Hill Climb site is located in Jackson County on Alabama County Highway 33 about 9 miles north of Scottsboro, AL."

As I mentioned CR39 is steeper and twistier than CR33. As bumpy as 33 is now I couldn't imagine racing on it.

EZMoney, Heatery, bomose and 9 others like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Win... your thread along with John's (@popscycle) this time of year brings back memories of my youth growing up in New York... something that I had taken for granted now that I live in SoCal... I didn't appreciate the autumn ambience back then when my parents made me rake the leaves as part of my chores. It's just not the same wearing shorts and a t-shirt this time of year. Although the mornings have a nip in the air, today's high is supposed to be 79℉ and 81℉ tomorrow...

Funny how as we age in life... we tend to appreciate those little things in life...

keep up the great posts @klaviator and @popscycle

:beer
  20. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding in the fall does bring back those wonderful, youthful memories. Autumn had a special smell that consisted of the scent of leaves, apples, bonfires and coal-fired chimney smoke mixed in crisp, cool air. Fallen leaves were a thing to be raked up into a pile and jumped into. Another favorite pastime was riding your scoot, usually a Cushman, into a big pile of leaves for a fun-filled high side. Fall was the time when the Chicago Tribune ran its annual "Injun Summer" issue with John McCutcheon's primitive painting thereof, shown below.

[​IMG]

Leaf bonfires among the gathered corn stalks were a real occurrence in yard and field gardens. It was in ours. Fall was also a time when migrating starlings would blacken the sky, park in your (now long gone) elm and maple trees and crap all over your yard. It was the time we kids would get out the shotguns and blast starlings out of the trees by the hundreds to keep them moving on. The memories are still still strong and we thank @klaviator and others for fall riding posts.