Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jrm927

jrm927 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you once again for leading us on a great fall ride! Looking forward to the next one already, but right now it’s time to go perform the first oil change on my bike. See you soon!
    Pepperlady and klaviator like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said Rudy!
    sealsam, MYUMPH, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  3. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Then we got on 72 and headed towards Gurley where I planned to make our last stop. Before getting to my planned stop I lost part of the group. What happened? Lets just say it's not really an adventure if everything goes according to plan:D I'll let @Thinwater tell the story."

After the glorious street ride that @klaviator put together we were wrapping it up. Pulling off of Hwy 65 onto Hwy 72 heading West, just about the time I hit high gear something touched my back. I immediately wrote if off for my roll behind my back.....except I don't have a roll and such behind my back! Then I reach my left hand gently behind me to feel and my top case is sitting on my pillion seat! You can see the top case on the himalayn in the awesome ride pics above in those pics its in its correct location still. I have two riders behind me and I'm trying to not knock it off the bike yet keep a hold of it and get pulled over. I hit the blinker and both following riders go past as I pull off to the Dolla Stow. I'm thinking my brand new top luggage rack from Hitchcock's to replace the poor Himalayan OEM one that as broken 4 times has also now broken. Once stopped I found that wasn't the case, everything was fine except is wasn't secured to the adapter plate anymore. My bunge net that was riding the pillion seat just in case I needed it luckily tangled the keyhole lugs on the bottom of the top case, and the draft from the wind pulled it up toward my back! Either the hand screw backed up out of the securing hole, or I never had the top case all the way in position to begin with and the hand screw inside was just wedged onto the top of the adapter plate and it finally vibrated forward enough to bounce up out of the securing keyholes at a road imperfection. How lucky it stayed on the bike, nothing torn up, no following rider misfortune resulted, nor my decals from places I've been scuffed! This kind of wierd thing can only happen to me.
    I don't know how the guys up front noticed to turn around and come back looking for me, but by the time I was on the kickstand holding the top case in my hand looking at the bottom of it, @jrm927 was pulled up beside me. Good bunch of riding partners!
  4. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did follow your ride :lurk
    I don't heal quite as quickly as I once did, but I feel better than I did this time last week, for sure :muutt
  5. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  6. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:

:dirtdog

Better hope nobody from the Killboy failure thread sees this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Great post Rudy. It really made me think which is why it has taken me so long to respond. As I have aged I do look back and realize how many great things I have experienced but didn't really appreciate at the time. For me it's the memories of places, people and experiences more than any particular season. Maybe I would miss fall colors more if I lived somewhere that didn't have them:hmmmmm One thing I have missed the last 29 years is California. I think that's what made me look at your thread in the first place. The three and a half years I spent in SoCal were some of the most memorable in my life. I often describe it as "motorcycle heaven" because of the great roads, weather and people I got to ride with.

The great thing about this forum and ride reports in particular is that we get the chance to see places all over the world. Some of those are places we have been to, some are places we hope to go to and some are places we would never see otherwise. When we are young we have all the time in the world to go out and see and experience the world. Now I realize that is not true and I will never be able to see and do everything I want. While reading a ride report is not the same as being there in person, a good ride report still gives us the chance to experience those places. A really good ride report also gives us the chance to experience the ride itself. That's why I appreciate when people take the time to do a good ride report.

After I moved to Florida from California I was pretty miserable. One of the things I really missed was my friends and people to ride with or just talk motorcycles with. That's another great thing about this forum. It gives us the chance to connect with fellow enthusiasts, both online and in person.
    Chillis, sealsam, Stubanger and 10 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not the only one who enjoys group rides, contrary to what most of the inmates post in Perfect line:D I have recently received several requests to be included in next years Maggie Valley ride. I'm not quite ready to nail down next years ride schedule but I'll post a few thoughts now, way in advance.

First, Maggie Valley. It was posted this year as a scooter ride and will most likely be next year as well. That doesn't mean it's scooters only. Jerry joined us this year on his Ninja 250. Just keep in mind that if you show up on a Hayabusa you may feel a bit out of place and may be bored on the straights. Whats worse is you will feel really bad if you can't keep up in the curves:lol3 Also keep in mind that scooter fever is highly contagious and we all have it. You will be very likely to catch it and develop an uncontrollable urge to visit your local scooter dealer and buy one:wings

I have a Bad case of CRS so your best bet in making next year's ride is to keep an eye on this thread and not depend on me remembering to contact you.

I won't plan any big rides in this thread but I will post the link to the planning threads here.

So what am I planning for 2020?

First there are a bunch of riders lead by @simbaboy heading to Moab in April (18-24). I was planning on making this ride then spending the week or so after riding other stuff out west but life has thrown a monkey wrench in those plans. It looks like I will be going on a cruise with family in late April/early May so now I'm looking at heading out a week or so earlier, riding some stuff out west before heading to Moab and then having to leave on the 21st:(

I was planning on another Maggie valley Scooter ride in August but I know I will have problems deciding on which scooter to ride:hmmmmm So maybe I'll do two Maggie valley scooter rides. One will be aimed at smaller scooters and motorcycles like Groms, Z125s, etc. I'll ride the Like on that one. Then I'll ride the Majesty on the second one and it will be aimed more at the maxi scooter crowd. I'm looking at July/August for these rides as Maggie valley is a great place to escape the heat. It's possible that I'll pick another spot to base out of but Maggie Valley is hard to beat.

Anyway, it's just something I'm thinking about. I'll have to see how much interest there is.

Some other possibilities for 2020.

Idaho! I'd ride the Versys for that.

Pilgrimage to Casa de Redneck in VA. ( @The Virginian 's place)

Some dual sport rides out of Tellico Plains, Two Wheels of Suches and maybe Maggie Valley.

A sport ride or two somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Versys.

Attend the Maxiscoots rally in Arkansas in September.

And of course a lot of local rides here in N. AL and TN. as well as some short 2-3 day trips here in the southeast.

This is all tentative right now and I'm sure a lot will change. I need to get my butt in gear and buy a dual sport bike soon as well.
    Pepperlady, zookster, sealsam and 6 others like this.
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you bring this up as I was working on dates for next spring for my get together. I too am working on MOAB with simbaboy and don't have a dual sport bike at this time. I have much to work on this winter... I will try to work around your cruise schedule this spring.

Eric
  12. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m definitely in for at least one of the Maggie Valley rides and I’d be interested in the DS ride as well.

The Cannonball comes through Maggie arriving September 12th at Wheels Through Time and staying for an off day the 13th. They will depart Monday morning the 14th. At some date to be determined there is going to be an invitational ride for some antique guys from all over the country. I have to plan some rides for this once I know the dates and what kinds of miles can be done. I may reach out to you for some advice once that is hammered down if you don’t mind.
    Pepperlady, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  13. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many including myself should have an extra bike.

Imu
    sealsam, B10Dave, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The cannonball would be cool to see but I will most likely be in Arkansas at that time. If things change I may come to see that.

As for advice I'd be glad to help.
    sealsam and JRowland like this.
  15. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving somewhere around the 10th of June next yr. riding zigzagging from TN across to Moab up to Big Falls,MT for the 2020 BMW MOA Rally there June 25-28 and than riding a northern route back of around a week , other than that I'm open to meet up for any and all rides in TN/NC and maybe even Alabama!
    sealsam, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an awesome ride! I'm jealous. Looking forward to meeting you some time next year.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  17. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya know, that is pretty much the understatement of the year.
    Pepperlady, simbaboy and klaviator like this.
  18. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to it and yes I look forward to meeting you also!
    Pepperlady and klaviator like this.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to retire!

So many good people to meet, and so much riding to be done, but with work, I have so little time.
    sealsam, Macho Man2, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  20. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    I took an early retirement, and now I have all the "back burner" projects to get caught up on. :(
    I'm still finding more time to ride though! :D
    :muutt <- Last Friday :doh