Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why I retired earlier than I really should have financially. Retirement is a matter of finding the balance between time and money. I do worry about money but then I look at all the things I got to do this year that I couldn't have done if I was still working and I know I made the right decision. I can always go back to work, I can never buy back lost time.

BTW, the guy they hired to replace me at work was 4 years older than me:loco
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Spot on...
    The Virginian, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  3. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:

Jesse, he musta had one foot in the grave!

:hide
    klaviator likes this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I still have a bunch of projects on the back burner. I'm not getting as much done in retirement as I thought I would. I've been too busy riding:ricky:ricky:ricky

I did plan on doing more long rides and that hasn't happened but hopefully next year!

Speaking of riding. I did get out and rode around 35 miles around town. The leaves here are well past their peak and mostly brown but there are a few spots where the lighting is just right.

As you can see, mostly brown:

[​IMG]

Looking the other way with the sun catching the leaves just right!

[​IMG]

It's been real dry around here after all the flooding we had last winter. Not much water or color here.

[​IMG]

It's forecast to be in the 60s and sunny tomorrow so I may get out on a real ride and try to get some pics before all the leaves fall off.
  5. acrorider

acrorider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator I've got to get out with you guys at some point if for no other reason then a good ride and you get some really good action shots! Good to see you all and I'm glad you stopped by and staged up here! Makes me feel like my efforts are getting somewhere in helping get the adventure crew organized.
    norton73 and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was in your shoes back on 06, working Tues - Sat and trying to make the dealership I worked at more than just a store that people shopped at.

I normally set up my rides on Saturday. Occasionally I do Sunday rides but I can certainly set something up on a Monday some time.

Depending on where the rides are going we will likely stage out of there again in the future.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  7. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I worked for Norfolk Southern Railway as a locomotive engineer for 40 years and retired on April 15th of 2015. I averaged around 8 to 10 thousand miles a year riding while working and now retired I have ridden over 20,000 miles each year. I usually ride a couple of times a wk, sometimes solo or I have some friends who I frequently ride with (Team Retired) usually a day ride to somewhere to eat with good twisty roads in the middle of the wk most of the time it's 200 to 250 miles each time. I just got back from a ride to the Pacific Northwest with 2 of my riding group. We were gone 21 days rode through 20 states and covered 8063 miles. I love being retired and being able to ride when and where I want to.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Another scooter convert:rayof My buddy Steve just put a deposit on a 2020 Like 150i.

[​IMG]

He said the graphics remind him of Speed Racer. The dealer didn't have one in stock but with the warehouse being in SC it will only take a few days to get one in.

Yesterday I was parking my Like in a grocery store parking lot and heard someone yell "great bike" as he was riding by. It was another rider on a scooter. I didn't get a good look but I think it was a Like 150 or 200. Hopefully I'll see him again. It's very rare to see another scooter around here let alone a Kymco.

With out of town relatives coming for Thanksgiving I don't see much riding happening this weekend unless I have to make a last minute "emergency" grocery run:D

For everyone following along, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!:dukegirl
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving Win...
  10. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoppy Turkey Day, Win.

:beer
  11. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Turkey Day!!!
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was suffering from PMS so I had to go out on a short ride today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. jrm927

jrm927 n00b

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving Win!
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  14. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving.

I too had a desire to ride my motorcycle today. I was heading up to my parents who live in Tennessee just north of Chattanooga. I developed a route that went up Skyline, Sewanne, Monteagle, Traci City and then down into the valley where my parents live. It was around 39F at 7AM when I left but was supposed get up into the lower 50s. The big flaw in my plan was most of the trip was on top of the mountain and therefore about 10F lower temperature than the valley. My winter gloves were not quite up to the task, so my fingers were very cold by the time I got there. Even with cold hands, I had a good time and rode a little over 300 miles for the day.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the Thanksgiving wishes! I did have a great thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving at our house this year for the first year. Because of my job I have been out of town for Thanksgiving the past several years. We had 8 guests this year and my wife and her sister cooked up a 25 pound turkey. Everyone else also made stuff so we had way too much food.....as it should be:dukegirl

[​IMG]
    Amphib, horseiron1, zookster and 9 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Today was the first of December, it was 57 and sunny so I had to get out for a ride. I felt like I needed to get off the pavement so I headed for the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and rode along the Tennessee River. It was real windy so there were whitecaps on the water. The bright sunlight made for some interesting pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite 12" wheels and limited suspension this scooter is still fun on gravel roads. I just don't go very fast. I just enjoyed being out riding.

[​IMG]

I feel bad for those folks up North who do this strange thing called "winterizing" their bikes:D

[​IMG]

Right now the forecast looks good for Saturday. If that doesn't change I'll set up a group ride.
    Amphib, MYUMPH, zookster and 13 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed out to my favorite sunset photo spot to see if I could get some good pics. Sunset was at 4:35 so i didn't even have to stay out late. There were some clouds that I was hoping would turn red and light up the sky. That didn't happen but the sunset was still nice and provided some nice lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
  19. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do that too?
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:

Yes I do. The best sunsets are when there are some clouds in the sky. Sometimes those clouds result in a spectacular sunset and sometimes not. There have been a couple of spectacular sunsets recently but I was busy doing something else and didn't get out to a good spot with a camera.
    JRowland and black 8 like this.