Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to subscribe here. After they booted me to inmates I've stopped visiting all the good stuff here.
    klaviator likes this.
  2. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caught this one Tuesday evening leaving a store in town.
    IMG_9341.jpg
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your thread really should be here in day trippin. I just doesn't fit in inmates. I have found some other interesting threads in inmates due to going there to check on your thread.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Nice catch:thumb
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you explain the difference? It seems, like this thread, you post up cool little day rides around Vegas. It lets me see what the area is like as well as what you are like in a way. Same with this thread, except a different area. Why is one “labeled” different? I’m a n00b so I honestly have no clue how any of this works, I just know I only have time for so much so I have to choose wisely. You both have a good eye with a camera which really lets me “see”.
    Chillis likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mods often move threads if they think they are in the wrong forum. Chillis started his thread in Day Trippin but a mod moved it to inmates. I'm guessing it was because he posted some stuff he did in his truck. This is a quote from the rules for ride reports:

2. It's about Motorcycle Ride Reports :ricky

• Not about a car, truck, tuk-tuk, train, quad, snowmobile, airplane, helicopter, bicycle, ski, skateboard, walking, jogging, business trips, pets, or animals. Did we miss any? If you have some of these, post'em in one of the forums listed under "Fluff".

The fact is that ride reports often stray into other stuff but Chillis did it early in his thread and a mod noticed it. Inmates seems to be a catch all. I once had a thread that was pretty active in perfect Line moved to inmates where it quickly died. I think Chillis' thread would be more active in Day Trippin but it seems that the people who where following his report found it after it was moved anyway.
    MYUMPH, Chillis and JRowland like this.
  7. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for explaining that. I never use the table of contents. Also I needed to review those rules, I missed no chit chat in the photo threads and I do a little bit of that every once in awhile.
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody didn't like the truck content. I may start another day trippin thread and leave the inmates to the truck and non motorcycle stuff like the Japan visits.

The thing is the content I do provide can be used by motorcyclists as well.

Oh well.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    On Thursday I posted a street ride in the Regional Forum as well as the Motorcycle Alabama Forum. By Friday night I had several responses on the MA forum and one of those guys also responded on ADV. ADV is a much bigger forum but when it comes to organizing a ride or event in North Alabama, the MA forum is still the place to go.

Come Saturday morning I rolled into the meeting place,the Mapco in Gurley, Alabama and there were a lot of bikes there ahead of me. A few more rolled in. We ended up with 10 people on bikes and @BuckeyeDoug who just stopped by to say hi. Doug, it was good to see you after all this time:wave

@Nice Goat had a rear tire that wouldn't hold air so we ended up with 9 riders ready to go out and enjoy the beautiful day. It was sunny with a forecast of around 60 degrees. Not bad for December.:rayof

A couple of pics I took at the Mapco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed out towards Lynchburg via some nice curvy roads. I didn't get many pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, JRowland, zookster and 6 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we got to Lynchburg the place was overrun with tourists. I haven't seen it this crowded in a long time. Someone told us there would be a Christmas Parade later. We found a place to park and took a break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes we get a really diverse group of bikes on our rides but today it was mostly dual sport and adventure styled bikes with a couple of sport touring bikes.

Did I mention it was crowded today?

[​IMG]

We headed for Delina via TN 129 and Delina road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, JRowland, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our lunch stop was the Old Delina Country Stor. We had gotten spread out on the curvy road so I had time to park my bike and get off and catch most of the riders as they rode up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a guy with a DSLR taking pictures when we got there. He was a professional photographer doing a story of the Stor. He followed us in taking more pics and asking some questions.

[​IMG]

We had a great lunch and great conversation as we always do at this place. We talked some with the photographer. I'm not sure were his pics and story will end up but I did with his card and promised to Email him a link to this ride report. So if you read this, Hi Nathan:wave
    Heatery, JRowland, zookster and 6 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Time suit up and get back on the road.

[​IMG]

Nathan came out and took more pics.

[​IMG]

We did a loop of curvy roads and a few goat trails.

This is what I consider a "goat trail". It's a narrow and bumpy road. It was actually a pretty curvy road. A dual sport or adventure bike is best for roads like this.

[​IMG]

We ended up back here.

[​IMG]

We took a break. I don't know what everyone was looking at:dunno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of these guys are inmates here as well as being on the Motorcycle Alabama Forum. @Thinwater , @mojo1 and @TheSweeper are the first three in the next pic.

[​IMG]

The last leg of our ride took us to Ardmore where we talked some more before splitting up and heading home.
    Heatery, JRowland, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    As I got near home the sun was setting to I made a small detour to try to catch the sunset from a good photo spot. Would I make it?

[​IMG]

Just barely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, norton73, JRowland and 8 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I ended up riding a little over 200 miles. It was a nearly perfect day weather wise and a great group of people to ride with. The roads in North Alabama and middle Tennessee not as good as the ones in the Blue Ridge Mountains to the East but they are still pretty good and they are close by. Winter is rapidly approaching but with a little luck we will have some nice days where we can get out and do some more rides like this.

For everyone who came out on this ride, thanks for coming. I hope to see you on another ride soon.
    Heatery, JRowland, zookster and 3 others like this.
  15. Marbleminer

Marbleminer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    klaviator, A get off on a ride with you...I can't even imagine it! :rofl

I hope you heal quickly Pepperlady!

Marbleminer
    Pepperlady, klaviator and Ernbo6 like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:

What! Are you saying people fall down on my rides:dirtdog Say it isn't so:lol3

Looking back I think my all time record for people falling down on my rides was the "Global Warming and Drought" ride. Probably 4 or 5 riders dropped their bikes. One guy dropped his 3 times breaking 2 clutch levers! I don't understand why that happened, the conditions were perfect for riding:

[​IMG]

I did document that ride: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-28#post-31605735
    Heatery, norton73 and JRowland like this.
  17. ADK

ADK hoof arted

Oddometer:
    That "goat trail" looks interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a road like that in my NY/NE wanderings. :hmmmmm
    JRowland likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of roads like that down here. That road actually had a lot of curves and hills.
    JRowland likes this.
  19. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since our ride leader Win is normally taking pics, here are a few with him.

Lynchburg
    [​IMG]

Delina Country Stor

[​IMG]
    norton73, JRowland, Stubanger and 6 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Looking at me in the pics reminded me of something someone said to me in Gurley. I think it was either @BuckeyeDoug or @Nice Goat who said something about me financing my retirement by saving money on razors:rofl
    norton73, JRowland, B10Dave and 2 others like this.