Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't get my Himalayan close enough to catch much footage of @klaviator and @TheSweeper , they were pretty rough on it. Our leader usually does take most of the pictures, I was hoping to return the favor by getting pics of him in this additional footage of the ride.

2. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I've got a few more weeks in a boot, and then I should be ready for some freezing cold January riding:lol2
  3. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Christmas in Lynchburg was yesterday. It is a day long celebration of events that end with the official lighting of all of their Christmas lights.

Glad ya'll could get in on the fun:imaposer
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to shoot, edit and post this video.

I'd also like to mention that Stephen (@Thinwater ) and Natalee ( @Pepperlady ) rode the TAT this summer which is impressive in itself. Even more impressive is that Natalee only had around 9 months of riding experience at the time. If you want to check out their ride report it is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tat-2019-couple-trip.1418566/
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Last night was perfect for getting in the mood for Christmas.

[​IMG]

Although we normally get some snow in Alabama it's a bit unusual in December. There was still some snow on the ground this morning but with sunny skies and a forecast high of 48 I had to act fast. First I needed an excuse to go for a ride. We were out of bananas!

So I headed out to Wally World. It was around 40 degrees and the sun had melted much of the snow but there were some shady spots.

[​IMG]

I stopped at Wally World and spent around 57 cents on three bananas:D

Then I headed for home taking a slight detour to make the ride more interesting.

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be nice today and tomorrow. I'll need to find some more excuses to go for a ride:ricky
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to go, Win. Seize the Day!
    Hope you and yours enjoy the holiday season!
    klaviator likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clif. I hope you and yours enjoy the Holidays and I hope you can get some riding in as well.
    staticPort likes this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have been having some intermittent issues with my Like dying when the throttle is closed. I thought it might be bad gas and I've been out riding it trying to trouble shoot it. Luckily we have had some nice riding weather. It was nearly 70 degrees today although we are about to get hit by some storms which will drop those temperatures considerably. I rode around 50 miles today. Except for dying once at a stop the scooter ran perfectly. I hate having intermittent problems:dirtdog It makes it so hard to troubleshoot.

[​IMG]

I've also been on the phone talking to Steve ( @Raptorman ) who just picked up a 2020 Like 150i. He resisted getting a scooter for a long time but eventually gave in. He is enjoying it so far. He took this pic in N. GA yesterday:

[​IMG]

They changed up the color schemes for 2020. Steve said this one reminded him of speed racer from the cartoons of his childhood.

I'm looking forward to taking my Like to the mountains and riding with him next year:ricky
  9. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have experience with the CY6 if that is your engine in that Like. It usually means time to adjust the valves and probably even adjust the idle mixture (not idle speed) but then adjust the idle speed afterwards. The idle mixture is sometimes hidden under a painted brass plug. Hope that helps.
    sealsam likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's fuel injected. It is due for a valve check.
    Thinwater and sealsam like this.
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn Win, even your 'Sam Walton' runs look great!

All the best with gettin' that Like back to 100%.
    klaviator likes this.
  12. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stubanger and klaviator like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win; something for you to try with the stalling issue. When the bike does this; shut off the ignition, turn the key back to the on position and wait a few seconds. Twist the throttle open and closed a couple of times and restart the bike. This procedure allows the computer to read the throttle position sensor and reset the idle speed to normal. Good luck.....Dave
    The Virginian and Thinwater like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll give that a try next time it does it.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    45 and sunny today. I couldn't resist going for a ride even if it wasn't very far. After some back roads I found myself in a part of the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge I don't go to that often.

[​IMG]

This road goes all the way to an inlet off of the Tennessee river but not only did I not have knobbies, but I had nearly worn out tires front and rear so this is as far as I went.

Looking the other way:

[​IMG]

That tower in the background is for bird watching. A closer look. I didn't see any birds.

[​IMG]

A view of my scooter from above.

[​IMG]

I rode around 20+ miles and the motor never died on me.......until I pulled into my driveway. So I tried the technique suggested by @B10Dave . It started back up and ran fine but I only rode about a mile so it's hard to say if it really did anything.
  17. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kymco forum downtown section has a good thread on resetting ecu.
    klaviator likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out. After being out of town for a few days, I decided to ride the Like to Wally World. It died a few times so I turned around and rode the Majesty instead. If I can't figure out what's wrong I'll take it back to the dealer. It's still under warranty.
    sealsam likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got out and ride nearly 30 miles on the Like today. It was sunny and high 60s, how could I not ride? It died on me once at a stop and another time it stumbled but kept running. In that case the check engine light came on and stayed on for maybe 5-10 seconds. I'll be taking it down to Max Motorsports sometime after Christmas. I don't trust it enough to ride it in traffic. Unlike a motorcycle where you can just pull in the clutch and restart the engine, a scooter needs to be stopped and have the brake lever pulled in to start. I also have to shut off the ignition and turn nit back on or it won't start.

On a more positive note, there is an end of the year ride and lunch scheduled for Saturday the 28th on the Motorcycle Alabama forum. I'll be leading a ride from Allsports in Decatur down to Chef Troy's in Houston (Alabama not Texas:D). Details are here:http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3735.0 There is an other ride scheduled from the Birmingham area and there may be some solo riders who show up as well.

Thursday and Friday after Christmas look really good for riding as well so I may set up something one of those days or just go out by myself:ricky
    JRowland, norton73, Heatery and 4 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Someone on the Motorcycle Alabama forum planned an end of year ride, lunch and get together. I set up the ride from the Huntsville area. I didn't get many responses and figured we would have 3-4 riders. The meeting spot was the Chevron in Hartselle. Riders kept showing up until there were 9 of us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It used to be that we would get a real diversity of bikes on these rides but this time we had 8 dual sport/adventure bikes and then me on a scooter:dunno

We headed off towards Houston. That would be Houston Alabama, not the lesser known city in Texas:lol3

[​IMG]

We ended up with over 20 bikes as riders came from all over North Alabama.

[​IMG]

We had a great lunch.

[​IMG]

Then we hung out for a couple of hours in the parking lot.

Here's @2372ighost leaving on his Harley. I was disappointed he didn't ride his Vespa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a pretty good day for a ride despite a few spotty light patches of rain. There was a group of 5 of us retracing the route back to Hartselle. Temperatures were in the 60s. Not bad for late December!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Hartselle and talked some more before heading home. I ended up with 150+ miles. That's not exactly an epic ride but then this was more about getting together with friends than it was the ride.

Over all it was a great day:-)

More pics are on the MA forum: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3731.0