Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the people on this thread live further north, mostly in the Huntsville area. I would recommend checking out this forum: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/

If you are willing to ride a couple of hours North there is a lot of good riding up here in the NE corner of the state. Little River Canyon and the area around it has so interesting roads and great scenery. Jackson County has some of my favorite local roads such as 65, CR33 & CR39. Then there are some great roads just north of the state line in TN.

My favorite area to ride is the Blue Ridge Mountain area in N. GA, East TN, and West NC. Unfortunately much of that area has shut down due to the Corona Virus.

Welcome to Alabama and I hope to get to ride with you in the future.
    Heatery, JRowland, Chillis and 5 others like this.
  2. Moosenart

Moosenart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips! I am more than willing to see the state and do some exploring. Primarily looking at doing day trips. If there are some riders that would like to ride together up north I am always willing to travel up there!
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I normally would be setting up a group ride on days like tomorrow where then weather looks pretty nice but with the pandemic I'm going to lay low for a while. Besides the restaurants being closed this would be a bad time to have an accident and end up in the hospital. Hopefully this will change before too long and we can get back to "normal". There are often riders on my rides that live a few hours away.

One road I would recommend that's not to far from you is 49 which runs north from 280 and will take you to the Mt. Cheaha area. I plan on heading down that way and riding that area some time. I drove that road with my truck pulling a trailer and told myself I need to go back and ride it. Then there is a lot of nice riding around Mt Cheaha, both paved and unpaved. I have done some dual sport riding in that area but it was a long time ago so I don't remember many details.

Also not too far from you is Oakmulgee. I haven't ridden there but a friend just posted this video of the area: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ride-camp-oakmulgee-sw-talladega-nf.1435430/

I lived in the Montgomery area way back in 01/02 and really enjoyed riding the Coosa WMA. Things may have changed since then but it might be worth checking out: https://www.outdooralabama.com/site...areas/2019-2020 WMA Maps/D2F-COOSA-19-20f.pdf
    Heatery and Chillis like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    With near record temperatures forecast for the area, I headed out for a ride. It was 83 degrees but felt hotter than that. I headed west. In less than 2 miles I felt like I was in Kansas.

[​IMG]

One of the things I really like about where I live is I can get away from "civilization" in just 2 or 3 minutes. Unfortunately there is a tremendous amount of growth going on in the area and I expect some of these farm fields will become subdivisions very soon. I saw a bunch of trees that had just been cut down recently. I guess that's the price I have to pay for living in one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Going from "Kansas" back to a more wooded area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode by one of the local Gun Shops but the Parking lot was full so in the interest of social distancing I just kept riding. The Harley dealer close by the gun shop didn't look very busy.

I headed off to check out the Tennessee River. I didn't have to go as far as I expected as the river had expanded due to all the recent rains. There were a couple of guys fishing in the middle of the road!

[​IMG]

Everything is blooming and there are some spring color out there.

[​IMG]

The light wasn't very good for taking pics. I need to get out in the morning or evening to take some pics.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, dp064, JRowland and 17 others like this.
  5. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please do! Not that these pictures aren't great, and reminded me of what I missed being 'distant' today, but I really enjoy the sunrise and sunset pictures you post.
    JRowland, Chillis, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We all enjoy your pictures Win! :beer
    JRowland, Chillis, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cliff and Eric. I have been wanting to get some sunset pics but last night was completely clear and tonight was overcast. The best sunsets are when there are just the right clouds out there. Also, my favorite sunset spot is currently not accessible due to flooding. My favorite sunrise spot was closed to vehicles so I can still go take pics there but can no longer get my scooter in the pics.......well at least not legally. I doubt anyone would be there to give me a ticket that early in the morning.

More restrictions are being placed on us in Alabama but only one county in the Birmingham area has shelter in place restrictions so for the time being we can still go out and ride. If that gets restricted I can always ride to the grocery store.

My Like 150 is still at Max Motorsports waiting for a part. I'm hoping to get that back. I'd most likely be riding more if it was available for me to ride.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can get out and do some more interesting riding.

I hope everyone following along here is healthy and doing well.
    Heatery, JRowland, Chillis and 6 others like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    The whole state of California has been under a stay at home order since 19 Mar so not much action on this end... :(

I may have to ride the bike to “pick up” some milk or “fill up” my gas tank...
    JRowland, Chillis, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the things I like about this forum is that it's more than just an online experience. I decided to go back through about the last 25 pages of this thread to see how many of the inmates who participated or where mentioned who I had met in person. I came up with quite a list which would be much longer if I went back to the beginning of the thread.

So here's the list of everyone who replied, liked a post or I mentioned that I have met in person. Not in any particular order:

@norton73 @SoloRider73 @CROSSBOLT @staticPort @zookster @tonymarchman @minimac @jwwr @simi.d @Heatery @Nice Goat @ultrasheen @Thinwater @Pepperlady @Trucker jay @2372ighost @Marbleminer
    @acrorider @jrm927 @mojo1 @red bud @bomose @Hammerdown77 @Raptorman @mixfixdave @craiger527 @TrashCan @FenceJumper09 @ohgood @Redclayrider @Bar None @maydaymike @Sirkitrider @Pork Butt @Bueller @CashCow @wmailhos @OldCoot @Dan V.

That's 39 people! I would not have met many of these people if not for this forum. I met a several through the local Motorcycle Alabama Forum. I met a few way back before this forum existed. If I went back to the beginning of the thread I'm sure I could come up with a lot more.

For those of you not on this list, I hope to change that in the future.
    Heatery, simi.d, JRowland and 12 others like this.
  10. mojo1

mojo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could meet up with you sometime and show you around. I live in Helena just south of Birmingham. I usually don't take many main roads unless its to get to a certain area that's far away that I want to ride. I have traveled up North to ride with Win several times. It's not unusual for me to do 400 - 500 miles for a day ride.
    jwwr, Chillis, ultrasheen and 3 others like this.
  11. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like only yesterday I spotted a tall dude railing a little scooter down the mountain toward Robbinsville and realized that there goes Klaviator! How pleasant it was to meet Win for lunch a short time later, and ride a bit through the rolling hills of Tennessee! How profoundly our world has changed!

Spring is busting out all over, and although Tennessee has not yet imposed a shelter in place order I have severely curtailed my riding. As an 'over 70' rider I'm keenly aware that I have a finite number of Springs to enjoy on two wheels and am looking forward to getting back at it . . .
    Chillis, Emgo, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I wish I had an interesting ride to report and some pics but I have only gone for one ride this year that was out of the local area and that was weeks ago. I haven't gone stir crazy yet but this only started to get serious a little over 2 weeks ago. I've got plenty of TP and unlike what I have read on many other threads, most of the people around here are taking the social distancing guidelines pretty seriously. I shaved off my beard last week. I was planning on doing that once it got hot anyway. So I have been spending a lot of time on my computer and much of that time I'm on this forum. I was just looking at some of my old stuff. Here's a pic from the early 80s, the only other time in my life that I had a beard.

[​IMG]

I had a Suzuki GS550E that was my first new bike, or vehicle, of any kind. I was packed up with my "state of the Art" luggage and about to depart on my first ever long motorcycle ride. I was heading from just outside Cleveland, Ohio and riding to New Orleans. That was nearly 40 years ago. Damn I'm old:gerg

I didn't take nearly as many pics back than as I do now but I'm really glad I took some. I enjoy looking at my old pics and reliving the memories.

Another pic from 1984, about 2 years later.

[​IMG]

I wonder what happened to my friends in the pic. I can't even remember their full names so I doubt I'll ever know.

So where did I get these old pics? Back in 2015 we were having a pretty long and cold winter (for Alabama) and I wasn't riding that much so I decided to try to organize my old pics and see if I had enough to do a ride report. I was surprised at how many pics I had so was actually able to do a ride report that went all the way back to the 60s when I first got interested in motorcycles. If anyone is really bored during this pandemic, here's a link: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/

One more old pic, just because:

Living the dream in SoCal in the late 80s

[​IMG]

I hope all of you are staying safe out there. Hopefully I'll have something new to post before too long.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Stay safe and healthy as well Win...

2 April will be two weeks being cooped up with the stay at home order... other than going to the commissary and early morning walks with the family for exercise, it's getting old quick...

Mrs. B8 just took inventory of the fridge/pantry and looks like I'll be making a run with the bike for milk, dog treats, snack items, and other staples...
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an excuse to get one of your bikes out. Better yet, split up that list and you could ride all of your bikes!
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    the commissary changed their SOP so I get early access on Wednesdays mornings... no combat shopping for me tomorrow...

Untitled.jpg
    B10Dave, The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I remember when shopping at the commissary was a really good deal and saved a lot of money. That is not the case here. I rarely shop at the commissary any more because I can get most things at the same price or cheaper at regular grocery stores. I might go check it out sometime because it's probably been a couple of years since I shopped there.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    normally we shop at WinCo Foods but we are using the commissary more for social distancing with limited access from the general population...
    B10Dave, Chillis and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's a smart thing to do. My suggestion of splitting up the shopping list and doing multiple trips on the other hand was pretty dumb. Back before the pandemic I would often go to the grocery store just to buy one or two items just as an excuse to ride my scooter. Now I am limiting my trips because going shopping is probably my biggest risk to catch this virus. Since we are not on lockdown here...yet, I can go riding anytime I want but I haven't really been in the mood.

There is some great weather coming up so I'll try to at least do some short rides.
  19. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

woo who I made the list :wings

enjoying the rr :D