Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We ate lunch IN the restaurant. They did have every other table not available but there was still plenty of seating. It seems that most people are still doing take out. Then we headed back to Steve's place to swap out bikes.

Steve leading the way on his Vespa.

[​IMG]

We headed out. This time both Steve and I were on our Likes.

We stopped and had a chat with Darryl:lol3

[​IMG]

And then got some pics at the nearby bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Toccoa River.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Stubanger, JRowland and 14 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :dunno I didn't ask so I don't know.
    Chillis likes this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the bridge we headed off to one of my favorite places, Two Wheels of Suches. Not only is it a great place, you can't get there except on some really great roads:ricky. We swapped scooters so we could compare. They were very similar as expected but we both agreed that the Pirelli Angels on my scooter were better then the OEM tires on Steve's So we rode some scenic curvy roads until we stopped so Steve could get some gas for his Like.

[​IMG]

A view of the two Likes.

[​IMG]

Mine is a 2018 and Steve has a 2020 and he also added some stickers to the front.

[​IMG]

The other Steve on his Morphous.

[​IMG]

More great roads:ricky and we arrived at our destination.

[​IMG]

We hung out a while until another inmate joined us.

@rdhood showed up on his Kymco DT300.

[​IMG]

It's not often that you see four scooters together up here in these mountains.

[​IMG]

Although this place is closed during the week it still attracts a fair number of riders. It's a great place to hang out and they leave the rest rooms open.

[​IMG]

Doug, Steve and Steve.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, CheapB, Stubanger and 13 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Eventually we headed off and rode down Wolf Pen Gap rd. This is one of the twistiest roads in Georgia and a blast to ride:ricky. We were scooting along quite nicely but eventually came up behind a couple of wings. They weren't throwing off any sparks but looked like they were using all of their ground clearance in the curves. There were no straights to pass so we just slowed down and followed them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we rode some more nice roads, not as twisty as Wold Pen Gap but still nice.

[​IMG]

Another stop.

[​IMG]

Steve offered Steve a chance to ride the "waverunner".

[​IMG]

Steve sat on it for about 30 seconds and decided the riding position didn't agree with him and got off. We headed off stopping for a photo spot.

[​IMG]

Did I mention it was about a perfect day to ride. Around 65 degrees, blue skies with a few puffy clouds.

[​IMG]

I swapped out with Steve and rode the Morphous a bit. It's definitely different. I'm glad I had the chance to ride it.

I swapped back. at this point Steve was leading on his Like.

[​IMG]

He led us down to a scenic spot on Lake Blue Ridge.

Got a glamour shot of the Like.

[​IMG]

We all took a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapping lies:D

[​IMG]

Then Steve led us down a twisty little road that ran along the lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon Steve broke off and headed home and then Doug. It was a very nice day of riding and meeting new friends.
    Heatery, CheapB, Stubanger and 19 others like this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks beautiful.

Great pic of the Like by Lake Blue Ridge.

You look to be dwarfing the WR250R.

KLX250 it is?
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve thought I looked better on the WR than the smaller KLX250 or even smaller KLX230. I need to go ride a KLX230 and then decide. I can flat foot the WR but it is taller than either KLX. Its just a much more hard core dual sport bike. If I was 20 years younger there is no doubt I'd go for the WR.
    norton73 and Chillis like this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind the size of the 230, the more I think about it, the more I like that bike.

I was thinking DR200 as an option. I had a blast on one years ago but the tech is so old now. Fuel injection and disc brakes being requirements. KLX has them all covered. You could really get a bike like that almost anywhere.

It's on the want list for me.

Edit: kind of hoping you get a ride on one and it works very well and you get it.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some pics of both Likes. I really love the colors on mine but I have to admit that Steve's looks great too.

[​IMG]

Kymco did a much better job with the reflectors and rear turns signals on the 2020 model.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Stubanger, JRowland and 12 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The weather forecast for Friday was crap with rain and cold weather. Luckily we planned for that.

[​IMG]

Changing the belt should have been pretty easy but this Vespa was owned for a long time by a guy who lived in an RV and left it outside. It didn't look nearly this nice when Steve bought it but he put a lot of work into cleaning it up. Now it looks nearly new. The problem was that all that time outside led to some corrosion on shaft from the rear wheel through the rear pulley/clutch assembly. We tried and tried to get it off but no luck. Finally we went into town and borrowed a puller from an auto parts store.

It was too small:dirtdog

[​IMG]

So Steve went back and got a larger, 5 ton puller. That did the job.

There was a loud crack as it broke free.

[​IMG]

After getting that off the rest went pretty smooth. We put in a new belt, rollers and sliding blocks and put it all back together making sure to remove the rust and apply some grease. Steve fired it up and everything seemed to be OK. A test ride would have to wait.

We also figured out why we had so much trouble, The scooter's odo read 12666.6:yikes

BTW, the recommended belt change interval was 9,000 miles. At 12666.6 miles the old belt still looked brand new. It was a bit thinner than the new one but still well within limits.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Stubanger, JRowland and 11 others like this.
  10. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, do you ride the Versys much?
    Chillis likes this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't ride it much last year, around 1300 miles and not that much this year yet but I do expect to ride it more in the future. I really want to take it out west again and ride Idaho. In just under 6 years I have only put 22,000+ miles on it. I still don't regret buying it. I got a great deal on it and it's a fun bike.
    B10Dave, gulfcoaster, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  12. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had two of them, an 09 and an 11. I've noticed that most of your RR is on your smaller bikes.
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    You have to be careful round these parts. Non-scooter material really get some feathers ruffled. Then they dial up the heaven's demons mc club to dole out beatings and reprimands.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :lol3

That's why I do my ride report in Ride Reports and not in Battle Scooters like most of the scooters riders do.
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Most of my buds think I'm weird anyway, I truly don't care what anyone rides, myself included. I have Harley friends, sport bike friends, adv friends etc., and I'm usually the oddball out on most of the bikes I've owned. Rode a Honda Monkey a few months back, and would love one. A Ural Gear Up sounds awesome as well!
    CheapB, Stubanger, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  16. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like north Georgia. My last ride in Florida before we moved in November to Ohio was Gainesville, fl to Helen ga and back in two days. About 900 miles for my ,70; birthday. Really enjoy your reports, bring back memories!
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Weird? I always thought that people are either weird or they have no personality:D I also have friends who ride all kinds of bikes.
    JRowland, Chillis and zookster like this.
  18. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to head out on a road trip, Win.

You really dwarfed that KLX230, is it really that much smaller size wise than the 250?

The easier valve adjustment on the 230 would have a lot of appeal to me, but then, most bikes with DOHC and shim adjustment stay within specs once they are broken in. Then again, I've had several Ducatis through the years and valve adjustment on them doesn't scare me, just time consuming.

With your height and inseam, the WR would be a good choice if you were considering far more off road than on road riding, but I think the KLX250 is a better real dual sport. I am happy with mine, but it also has been upgraded to a 351, so I have some extra power too.
    gulfcoaster, klaviator and Chillis like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I also have fond memories of N. Ga. I discovered it in 1990 when I moved to FL from SoCal. I was pretty depressed until I discovered the great riding in N. GA. Back then over half the bikes at TWO normally had FL plates.
    ZigzagguzzI and Chillis like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The seat on the 230 is .4 inch less than the 250 and it's 2 inches shorter so it's not that much smaller. This comparison of the 230 and 250 really made me consider the 230: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-new-2020-klx230-thread.1435082/page-4#post-39904800
    MYUMPH, Chillis and norton73 like this.