Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It won't force you to give up the other rides in the garage Rudy, but the smile factor is through the roof!

While I'm enjoying my coffee at McD's in Oceanside one day, you give Ripper a rip. You may be hooked!
    MYUMPH, Chillis, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at Vespas last night and Moto Forza is having sales on leftover 2018s with up to $300 off, 0% for 36 months, no freight, no set-up fees, and another $500 off for first responders and mil...
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not the only one spreading the virus:D
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe not, but I still call you the instigator ! I am going to start looking .
    MYUMPH, Chillis, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  5. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll love it in Borrego!!!!!!!!!!!

**edit----post a pic for reference. (Steve spends time in Borr)

[​IMG]
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a scooter in South Jersey, they seem rare around here.
    Looking for 150 to 300cc size for 2 up local rides.
    My wife has a bad back, but likes to go out for an hour or so ride on the back roads.
    We do not need speed, 60 mph is enough.

Are any of the on line sites any good?
    Any China brands ok for casual use?
    I am looking for something with a backrest and $3000.00 or under.

I figure this thread would have scooter heads who know!
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Your best bet would be to start a thread in Battle Scooters. You will get plenty of advice, maybe more than you want! For 3K you would be looking used for any name brand scooter. 150cc scooters tend to be physically too small unless rider and passenger are fairly small. There are some 200-300cc scooters that would work well and normally run for less than 3K used. Just add a tail box with a backrest if it doesn't come with it. I'd stick with scooters from Japan, Italy or Taiwan. Some scooters that come to mind: Piaggio BV250, Aprilia Sport City 250, Kymco people 200 or 250, Kymco DT300 or GT300i, Honda Reflex, Suzuki Burgman 200. Good luck finding something.

Edit: I see you started a thread in BS.
    B10Dave, The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
  9. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything okay?
    Chillis likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yes. Thanks for asking. I just had a great 3 day visit from my Son, DIL and grandaughter. I have been getting out on my scooters for grocery runs and I have been riding my bicycle for exercise but nothing worth posting. I'm still planning on test riding a KLX230 in the near future.

I have been spending time on this forum. For anyone with extra time on their hands, who would like to see the world through some fantastic pics and a unique perspective I highly recommend this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/michnus-elsebie-piki-piki-around-the-world.696647/

Hopefully I'll be able to get some interesting ride pics of my own before too long.
    Salth2ofish, Chillis, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  11. catboat32

catboat32 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for spreading the Vespa virus. i caught it. Monday i found an 07 GTS250. 3k miles, top box, crash bars and windshield for less than 3K.
    OMG i love it. I've been riding a Zuma for years and what an upgrade. Took the wife for a ride. she was in heaven and said she will never get on the back of my GS again.
    thanks, ric
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Congrats. It sounds like you found a great deal. Now that you have the virus, come join a bunch of other people with the virus in Maggie Valley in August: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-maggie-valley-beat-the-heat-scooter-ride.1434287/
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! Even if you don't have a monkey you are welcome to join us on any bike although the Monkey would probably be more fun than a bigger bike. Just beware that you may get the scooter or Vespa virus!
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got out a few times today. First I decided to take a little ride over to Decatur. I was hoping to see some hot air balloons but with the gloomy weather I didn't know if any would be flying today. Normally there is a big hot air balloon festival on Memorial Day weekend but this year most of the festival was cancelled but there were supposed to still be some balloons flying around.

I stopped to take some pics.

[​IMG]

I stopped by Allsport. They had some new bikes in the showroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately many of the bikes that were here last time I stopped by were sold including the KLX230:( I shouldn't have waited to take it for a ride. Oh well, it's not like I don't have any bikes to ride.

A couple of interesting old bikes.

[​IMG]

I talked to Seth, one of the salesmen and he told me they had been very busy and been selling a lot of everything.

So I rode back home. I got rained on but the real downpour waited until after I pulled into my garage.

In the afternoon I noticed that the scooter tag was "OLD BARN or Delapitaded building"

That would only be a couple of miles for me so I jumped on the Like and grabbed the tag.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Skooter, norton73 and 15 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for a nice sunset but clouds and rain were moving in so I gave up the idea of riding for some pics....

Then a few minutes before sunset I noticed a strange yellow glow to the west and figured there must be a break in the clouds so I jumped on the Like and headed out. I wish I had gone out about 10 minutes earlier but still took a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So no real exciting riding today but at least I did get out on the bikes and practice my Scootography.
    Heatery, Skooter, norton73 and 16 others like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice capture Win...

Now that SoCal is headed into summertime, we don't get that many storm clouds as compared to Jan, Feb, Mar and maybe April... we mostly get the golden sunsets now lacking that spectacular red and orange hues.

The east coast is about to enter hurricane season and should make for some dramatic shots.
  18. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    gorgeous imagery....
    loved every picture
    happy for your day
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sunset shots are all about luck and timing. As for storm clouds, we can get them any time of the year.
    Chillis, black 8 and JRowland like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It looked like I might be able to stay dry today so I went for a little bit longer ride. I headed west on 565/72 and picked up CR8 in Woodlville. This sign gives a hint of what CR8 might be like.

[​IMG]

Actually, there are a few steep curves as 8 climbs up the mountain and then it's just a nice curvy and hilly road but nothing super challenging.

[​IMG]

For a County Road this one has a really good road surface.

[​IMG]

The curves aren't real tight but there are few straights. This is about as long of a straight as you will find on this road.

[​IMG]

Old gas station and store.

[​IMG]

Then it was left on 17, left on 79 and right on CR33. CR33 is one of the super twisty roads on Crow mountain.

[​IMG]

The road surface in the hairpin curves isn't bad but in between it's very bumpy. An adventure bike with long travel suspension would be the best bike for this road but any bike will work, you just have to slow down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go off a curve and you could end up in a ditch.

[​IMG]

Or you could just go down the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]

I stopped at one of the last curves at the bottom and caught this cruiser heading up.

[​IMG]