Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your pic reminded me of my Reflex experience. When the Reflex first came out, Frank Cheek the founder and original owner of Two Wheels Only bought one. He put some BMW roundels on it. Since few people were familiar with the Reflex they often thought it really was a BMW:D Frank loved that scooter and if he knew you he would insist you ride it. He didn't have to twist my arm. My wife was with me at the time and Frank wanted her to try it too. So we took off on 60 which a really nice and twisty road. Debbi was on the Reflex and Debbi on my XT350. We went about 6 miles and turned around switching bikes. I thought the Reflex handled the curves well but was slow off the line.

So we were riding along and got passed by some sport bikes. I was really tempted to chase them on the Reflex but didn't want to leave Debbi behind.

After we got back Frank asked Debbi what she thought of the Reflex and she said it felt weird because she was used to having something between her legs:lol3:lol3
    B10Dave, Chillis, zookster and 6 others like this.
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new bike!
    Chillis, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  3. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful sunset pics! Lots of green, that's awesome, and much valued in SoCal!

Surprised jets are doing touch&goes... That's the price of an average dirt bike burned every ~10 min round! Airlines must be doing crazy stuff now that air travel is so much down... they possibly have some bulk deals with oil/fuel companies such that money for unused fuel is wasted, so they are like "heck, might as well have pilots practice!". Only way I can justify touch&goes of a full-size airliner outside of a simulator :-D

I've yet to ever buy a brand new motorbike from a dealer... that must have a special feeling to it, one that "lightly used" bikes from craigslist just can't give, no matter how good a deal!

Grats on the new toy! Enjoy her well! :-)
    Chillis, sealsam and The Virginian like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! Happy new bike day Win! :clap
  5. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth!
    Chillis, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The military does touch and goes with all their aircraft. I couldn't tell what this aircraft was but it seemed to be a big one and from the pics it looks like four engines. It's more unusual for civilian jet to be doing touch and goes but I have seen it before. One time flying into Tel Aviv there was a 747 in the pattern. I wonder how much that cost per touch and go?
    Chillis likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I prefer to buy new from the dealer. I have generally gotten good to extremely good deals on the bikes I bought. Since I keep my bikes a long time the new bike depreciation isn't that bad. This KLX was a good deal but not nearly as good as the NOS bikes I bought in the past. A couple of people sent me a link to a Craig's list ad for a very low mileage, 2018 used KLX250. If I paid the asking price I would have saved $250 but had to drive much further to get it. Then I would have a 2 year older bike with no warranty. Actually I don't know if Alabama charges sales tax on private seller vehicles so maybe I would have saved a little more.

On the other hand I know some people that have gotten extremely good deals on used bikes but they are a gamble.
    Chillis likes this.
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:

Alabama will collect a sales tax when you go to title and register a used vehicle.

It's been years since I last rode a scooter, but I remember going to pull in the clutch and locking the rear wheel. I did it on the old 3 wheelers a time or two.

I just retired my 96 Dodge Ram pickup with a 5 speed for a 99 Chevy Silverado with an automatic. My left foot is getting bored and starts twitching at stop lights.

Then there's jumping off the Norton with rightside shift, up for first, then to a modern bike...
  9. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you took the plunge. I’ve been riding the DR on the fire roads around Bankhead over the last few weeks. Have you ever ridden County Road 3 off Hwy 65? I’ve been told it connects with Winchester Road. Looks like it might be a good DS road. I’ve been wanting to ride through there but I’ve always been alone and you know corona, so I didn’t want to chance it.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have done many of the roads off of 65 but I don't remember which one 3 is. One of the roads does go all the way through and some of the others used to go through. According to Google maps, 3 does not go through.

I did go way back into some cool riding following some other riders years ago: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...-the-rocket-city.647784/page-19#post-23209212

If you go back in this report you will find other dual sport riding in the area as well.

E. Limestone county and TN has some good dual sport riding and @Thinwater is the guy who really knows it.

Edit. Another link to riding off of 65: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...-the-rocket-city.647784/page-20#post-23867990
    Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  11. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've looked at several apps to figure this out. OsmAnd and TopoUSA don't show it going through, but zooming in on Google Maps app seems to show it going through to connect with Upper Hurricane Road. Google has been optimistic before , so I'm not sure I'd completely trust it. That said, I have to adjust my new suspension on the GS that I installed today, so I'm going to head that way tomorrow. If anyone is interested in joining, let me know. The switchbacks look interesting....
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mo sunset hunting tonight. I keep hoping that I will get the perfect sunset. Will this be the night??

The KLX from a different angle.

[​IMG]

I guess some people still have to work:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sunset is constantly changing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these pics were in the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge. The tower is for birdwatching. There is a cooperative farming system that allows farmers to grow and harvest crops which provide food and habitat for birds.

Some pics on the ride home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next pic is blurry because I was transitioning to ludicrous speed:lol3

Actually I was just catching the 100 miles on the ODO.

[​IMG]

Well I didn't catch the perfect sunset. I guess I'll just have to keep going out until I do:D
    Samspade, Skooter, B10Dave and 13 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of those roads does go through, @Frank smith did it a year or two ago. I'd consider joining you but I have some errands to run tomorrow and I want to get a few more break in miles on the KLX before taking it on higher speed roads.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was exploring out there back in April. The switch backs are pretty good, but there was a tree half way across the road in one spot. The asphalt runs into a dirt road. I wasn’t sure if the road crossed any private property and with the lock down I decided not to chance it.
    Chillis, klaviator and sacto929 like this.
  15. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it still is but that road was gated on the Hurricane Creek end with a sign for a hunting club the last time I tried to go through there but that was several months ago.
    Chillis likes this.
  16. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    MT. Fork rd goes to the right off hurricane and there is a gate that is open in the summer but closed during hunting season. It goes up I think it's Putnam mt. and drops off down to Princeton. it's a pretty good ride but not real long. We found a few dirt roads off of it that are pretty good. You can take a trial off of the dirt at the top and make it over to Coalmine mt and Bingham mt. but you probably need a dirt bike as it can get rough.
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep it goes all over. Coal Mine is private now. I don't 7nderstand that but so be it. I stay off it now to keep out of trouble. Adv won't let me upload the gpx for some reason.
    norton73 and Chillis like this.
  19. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It goes through.... There were several options and the one I chose dumped out on Mountain Fork Rd. I took it slow downhill in the ruts and deep large gravel. Been a while since I was in the dirt on a bike as big as the GS. On a smaller DS or dirt bike, that's a really fun road, and there are lots of options.

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This morning I ordered some Farkles to get the KLX ready for some more serious riding. A heavy duty skidplate was at the top of my list. I also ordered so footpegs, a luggage rack, and a tank bag. I'm sure more will follow but I'm still trying to decide on some other stuff.

I addition to some farkles, I need to get some more miles on and get her broken in. Only one way to do that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't the only one out using this trail today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I seemed like the suspension was breaking in and getting smoother but then I rode some of the same roads I did a couple of days ago. Those roads were just much rougher than they looked. I'll take Brian's advice and wait a bit before making any changes to the suspension but most likely I'll soften the compression damping a bit front and rear.

I'm up to around 140 miles now.