Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    BUT, you are an animal! Seriously the mileage you enjoy is way beyond what I would.

Beside you, I am a wimp.
    The Virginian, klaviator and Chillis like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice update Win... looks like you're getting into some new places...
    The Virginian, klaviator and Chillis like this.
  3. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you enjoying this bike.

You need some handguards. I would advise triple clamp mounts vs handlebar mounts. Makes routing the cable easier.

The PO on mine routed the brake hose under the handlebar mount, and over time the stock rubber hose must have gotten kinked internally as it flexed at the bend. I applied the brakes one time shortly after getting it and the brake locked and wouldn't release until the suspension came back up!

Fix was a SS hose and new barkbuster clamps.
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, I never got more than 15 miles from my house. I'll start wandering a bit further once I get some more miles on the bike. Break in procedures say to stay mostly below 4000 RPM the first 150 miles. That's only 40 MPH. Then its 6000 rpm till 250 miles and then ride moderately to 600 miles.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have read that putting hand guards on this bike is a real pita.

I never put hand guards on my KLR. 44,000 miles and I never broke a lever although I did carry spares.

I put acerbis guards on my XT350 and still managed to break a brake lever.

I will get spares for the KLX. They don't cost much and are good insurance. I'll wait to decide on the guards. Could you post a closeup pic of the guards on your bike?
    B10Dave, The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I took a short ride on the KLX this morning and filled it up. 72 MPG. we'll see what happens as I start riding it harder. Most reports I have seen show 60-70 MPG. Why is this important? It only has a 2 gallon tank.

Then I went and rode the Like. It actually felt really torquey and peppy after riding the KLX. Of course I have been taking it easy on the KLX. The ride, at least on pavement felt as smooth as the KLX. Then I filled it up as well. 80 MPG.

After I got home I decided to take a group pic.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with my collection. I think I have all the really important bases covered. I would like to have a Vespa GTS, a tiny motorcycle like a monkey bike, Z125 or TNT135, an adventure bike, maybe a small sport bike..............

I should go buy a lottery ticket:hmmmmm

I did back off the Compression damping on the KLX a couple of clicks. Its now in the center of the adjustment range. My Like with its 12 inch wheels and limited suspension should not ride as smooth as the KLX.
    Samspade, Raptorman, Skooter and 14 others like this.
  7. norton73

Oddometer:
    The PO installed Barkbusters on my bike with the stock bars. There were expanding inserts in the bar ends to hold the guards, I don't know if the earlier bikes had hollow bars and the later bikes have barend wieghts that make it difficult.

I wanted higher bars for standing, so installed Protaper adapters and 1 1/8 bars. The same inserts worked on my set up.

I like the barkbusters for more than protecting the levers, they protect your knuckles and fingers from branches and trees as you go bushwhacking. They also keep branches and vines from applying the clutch or brake, and can keep wind and rain off your hands in cooler weather.

I've heard the downside is if you go over the bars you might get broken wrists if you catch your hands between the bars and the guards :dunno
  8. norton73

Oddometer:
    KLX bars 2020-06-19 001.JPG KLX bars 2020-06-19 002.JPG KLX bars 2020-06-19 003.JPG
    Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  9. norton73

Oddometer:
    Don't know if those pics will help you or not.

Another thing to consider, and as an experienced rider, you may already do this, is to leave the brake and clutch lever mounts loose enough that they can move if you crash. Just tighten them up enough that they will stay in place until you can give them a good whack with your palm and they will rotate a bit.

I didn't use barkbusters on my trials bikes because I could feel the "swing weight" while turning during a wheelie or flip turn. I kept the levers loose.
    Chillis and Thinwater like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. My first goal is to get the bars in the right position for me. Right now they are a little low for standing. I just rotated the bars forward a bit. Next I'll probably get bar risers. If that doesn't work I may get new bars. Once I get the bars right I'll think about some bark busters. Your setup looks good.
    Chillis and norton73 like this.
  11. norton73

Oddometer:
    Something to consider as both a spare cable or if you need a little more length when you install risers.

[​IMG]
    Chillis, Thinwater and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was planning on eventually getting a spare clutch cable. I had one break on my KLR on a ride. Luckily I was with a bunch of KLR riders and one had a spare. I recommended a spare clutch cable to @Thinwater for his TAT trip and guess what broke? Luckily he followed my advice.:-)

There is a bit of slack in all the cables but the clutch cable has the least slack. I found 15 and 30mm risers. 15 would be no problem with the cables. 30 might be tight and any more would probably require a new clutch cable.
    Chillis, Thinwater and norton73 like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I knew about leaving the lever mounts loose........but had forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I went out and loosened them. I also found that the brake lever mount needed a 8mm wrench and the tool kit didn't have one.......it does now.
    Chillis, Thinwater, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  14. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice family there! Lovin’ them all but really eyein that majesty! I can’t do the leg over the seats anymore of standard bikes. Gotta be a step thru. You got them all covered. Tool for every job!
    Chillis, gulfcoaster and klaviator like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The KLX got a break today. I had posted up a street ride for today. I didn't get that much response and figured maybe 3 or 4 riders would show up. We met at the Shell station in Ardmore.

[​IMG]

My math is a bit rusty but that looks like a few more than 3 or 4:D

We had a good mix of bike today with just about all types except no scooters.

[​IMG]

We had bikes ranging from well over 1000cc down to a DR200.

[​IMG]

Ride details to follow......
    B10Dave, Skooter, black 8 and 11 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The plan for this ride was to make it an early one, partially to beat the heat and partially to get to Delina before the rush. We met at 8:00 and got on the road right at 8:30.

Our route was a real zig zag route and we were constantly turning from one road to another. This gave me some opportunities to get some pics in addition to my on the go pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This road had one lane washed out last year. It was nice to see that they had fixed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, Raptorman, norton73 and 15 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some Over the shoulder shots.

[​IMG]

@motocopter is behind me on his AT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Pepperlady leading on her DR200

[​IMG]

Taking a break in the shade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't notice what was on the red T-shirt at the time.

[​IMG]

@Nice Goat was shooting some video.

[​IMG]
    Raptorman, Skooter, black 8 and 13 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got to Delina at 10:15 as planned. The staff was hanging out on the porch due to no customers.

[​IMG]

It's good that we got there early because it wasn't long before more people, including a group of bikers, showed up and filled the place up.

I didn't get any pics inside but I do have an interesting "it's a small world" story. During lunch I was talking to @motocopter . He mentioned that he had kept in touch with someone I had met in Utah back in 2015 and wanted to know if I wanted to say hi....

What!!!

OK, I'm still not sure I have the whole story straight so maybe Marc will chime in and straighten me out.

Back in 2015 I met this couple in Arches N. P.

[​IMG]

The gal on the right is @ktmtraveler . @motocopter also met them pretty close to the time that I did. We did not know each other until recently but here we were in the middle of nowhere and discovering that we met the same people on a trip on the other side of the country 5 years ago.

It's a small world.
  19. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, about that same time, I set up camp at the KOA in Cannonville, UT. On the way to my site, I see this cool hack and a new 1190. Jan (pronounced like Yon) and Rianne were camped in the trees next site over. So, after I set up, I went over to see the bikes and say hello. We are still saying hello frequently. Jan and Rianne also each have new custom built hacks worth checking-out. About a month ago after seeing a picture that @klaviator posted after a small group ride, Jan and Rianne let me know they met Win at Arches National Park during the same trip and time period. Definitely a small world when stories like this pop-up.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that @ktmtraveler is from the Netherlands. That just makes it more amazing.

While we where eating a couple was seated near us. It turns out they were old friends of one of our group and hadn't seen each other in years.

Last year @Thinwater and @Pepperlady met a guy from Belgium out in Arkansas or Oklahoma on the TAT and I met that same guy about a week later near Maggie Valley.

@Nice Goat , also on this ride and I discovered we were both in the navy and in the Mediterranean around the same time back in the 90s.

And we all ended up somewhere in the middle of nowhere at the same time.

Maybe the Old Delina Country Stor is at the nexxus of the time space continuum or something like that:hmmmmm