Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get any pics inside but I do have an interesting "it's a small world" story. During lunch I was talking to @motocopter . He mentioned that he had kept in touch with someone I had met in Utah back in 2015 and wanted to know if I wanted to say hi....

What!!!

OK, I'm still not sure I have the whole story straight so maybe Marc will chime in and straighten me out.

Back in 2015 I met this couple in Arches N. P.

[​IMG]

The gal on the right is @ktmtraveler . @motocopter also met them pretty close to the time that I did. We did not know each other until recently but here we were in the middle of nowhere and discovering that we met the same people on a trip on the other side of the country 5 years ago.

It's a small world.[/QUOTE]

I wonder who took that pic? :wave
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After lunch most of the group headed for home. @Thinwater , his daughter, @Pepperlady and I continued on. We did a loop which brought us back to Delina. It was a bit different than the loop we did last weekend.

[​IMG]

@Thinwater commented on the MA forum that he was dubbing the tree in the above pic the "Richard Nixon" tree:D I think that tree was on Delina Road.

After a break at Delina we headed for Ardmore.

[​IMG]

We took a shorter route to Ardmore than the morning route to Delina.

[​IMG]

Cool clouds.

[​IMG]

Stephen took the lead to show me some new roads.

Natalee on her DR200:

[​IMG]

The first of two tunnels:

[​IMG]

Riding in the shade.

[​IMG]

fun road:

[​IMG]

Second tunnel:

[​IMG]

That's the last of the pics I took. We took a break in Ardmore and then I followed them home where they showed me their scooter collection. They got a Kymco Agility 125 for their daughter to ride. They also had a Roketa 150 which was given to them.

Then I headed home. I think I rode around 180 miles total.
  3. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a location in that tunnel or others in the northern AL area?
    Chillis likes this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Those tunnels where in TN not too far from Ardmore. I may work them into the next ride.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    @Raptorman joined me for 4 days on that trip. If you can believe it he took even more pics than I did!
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Often when I go on a ride there are few if any other people taking pics. On this ride it was nice having some others shooting pics & Video.

@Nice Goat went ahead a couple of times and shot some action pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He got this pic of us at the Old Delina Country Stor.

[​IMG]

I won't re-post all his pics. He took pics of everyone. If you wish to see them all they are here: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3852.15

He also shot this short video:

Thanks Glenn!
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I ordered some Farkles on Thursday. ETA on all of them was sometime later this week so I was surprised to see a box from RevZilla at my door yesterday. 2 day shipping and Saturday delivery. Not bad for free delivery!

This is the same Nelson Rigg tank bag as the one I put on my Versys 6 years ago. There have been some changes made to it, mostly positive. The mounting straps/buckles are better. Overall quality just seems better. The only step backwards was there is no longer reflective piping on it.

Some pics.

0621201218.jpg

0621201218a.jpg

It does expand, giving much more storage space.
    0621201218b.jpg

I rode to Wally World and back. Normally I would do this on a scooter but I wanted to ride the KLX. I stuffed a back pack into the tank bag as well as my cap. I couldn't really tell the difference my rear shock adjustment made because I didn't ride anything really rough but it "seemed" a bit smoother. Rotating the bars forward put them in a better position for me. I think I'll go with 15mm risers as I don't know if the clutch cable will be too tight with taller risers.

So I got my groceries but this bike will never be as convenient as my scooters for that sort of thing.
  8. ktmtraveler

ktmtraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @motocopter, hi @klaviator!

Definitely a small world!
    Enjoyed the pictures of your ride and cool lunch place. Brought back some good memories of riding for five months criss cross through your beautiful country.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:

Wow! Five months of riding across the country. That must have been quite a trip!

What I also find amazing is this forum. Sure we had a random meeting five years ago but without this forum, that would have been the end of it. I would have remembered because I have a picture but because of ADV we can talk again. Without ADV I doubt that Marc and I would have ever discovered that we both met you back then. It's pretty cool how this forum brings so many people around the world together.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win; you got the right style of Nelson Riggs tank bag; but the wrong colour for your bike.:D:D

St T 019.jpg
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My Cheap IMS knockoff footpegs just came in. They weren't a perfect fit as the two mounting tabs were spaced a little further apart than stock. A little redneck engineering fixed that.

0623201336.jpg

They were a bit of a PITA to replace but then that should be the last time I have to do that. I'll need to go out and "test" them to see how they work:D
  12. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I installed those knock-offs on the XT250 and they made a world of difference...

I'd also upgrade the side stand with a foot enlarger for soft dirt, wet grass, sand, hot asphalt if you haven't yet...

they're pretty cheap on eBay...
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I never thought of that. I usually can find a rock or something to put under the side stand but that isn't a bad idea.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I took a look at side stand foot enlargers. There's quite a range from around 15 bucks to over 100:eek7
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had a tool kit all set up for the KLR but need to come up with a new one for the KLX. I have a nice 22mm wrench/tire iron but the KLX needs a different size. I measured the axle nut at 27mm. For some reason I decided to check out the cheap wrench that comes in the stock took kit. It said 27mm but wouldn't fit on the nut? 26.5 mm ? So I found an old one in the box of old tools I have and it fit just fine. Good thing I checked. I will get a motion pro t6 tire lever in 27mm but until I get it I'll keep the stock wrench in the kit.

I took a pic of all three wrenches.

0623201449.jpg
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went out and rode about 30 miles, much of it dirt. The pegs were a big improvement.
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't do like the one guy here on ADV with sandals on working on his bike. Ripped his toe nail off with the sidestand. Ouch!

I should get one of the sidestand feet too. With all the time I spend looking for a rock to set the bike on.
  18. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's retired now, socks and sandals are allowed anywhere once you reach retirement. :lol3:lol3
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I read about that. That guy has been living dangerously. Almost had a head on collision then started a thread in PL about it where a couple of dozen inmates jumped all over him!
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  20. Raptorman

Raptorman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somehow I knew you would like them. I've always liked mine and for some reason I like the #22 on the pegs too. :jack BTW, when is that seat strap coming off? :dirtdog