Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some thoughts on this ride as well as the KLX250.

The ride was great. I always have a great time when I get out and ride with a group. I always enjoy exploring new roads. It was my first long ride on my KLX and my first long DS ride in a long time so I was wiped out and pretty sore. I'm not as young as I used to be. That and it was in the 90s and humid.

The KLX? It did great. My only big complaint was the seat. My ass was really hurting in the morning but not so much after lunch. Why was that? For one thing we took breaks more often after lunch. Second, I was more active in the afternoon because we rode more dirt and more challenging roads so I was moving around more. Also the riding took more of my attention as I was watching for rocks or trying to decide the best line which meant i wasn't thinking about my butt or my seat. I seldom did that kind of mileage on my previous small dual sport bike which had better seats. A better riding position on the KLX seems to make up for a less comfortable seat.

The suspension and brakes worked fine. Now that I have more miles on the motor and am running it harder the motor seems to make plenty of power. Coming out of a tight curve on to a steep uphill might require a downshift or two but then it pulls fine.

I have been averaging 72-73 MPG so the range was acceptable even with the puny 2 gallon tank. The CRF450 on the ride also had a 2 gallon tank but didn't get near as good of mileage.

I now have over 500 miles on the KLX so the initial oil change will be due soon. I expect to be putting a lot of miles on it. I still have some farkling to due to get it set up the way I want it.
  2. Raptorman

Raptorman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics! Must say I'm jealous of that wonderful middle TN scenery even though my N. GA mts have a lot to offer. I lived in Winchester for a couple years back in the early 80s. Had a '72 TS185 and rode it everywhere. Really liked the Franklin Forest area. Glad you had an excellent ride:clap and a sole butt to boot. :(
    Chillis, norton73, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  3. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great pics as usual.. but that first one with the sweet Olds Delta 88 Royale with the chrome SSII wheels.. nice!
    Don
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would get around 50 mpg on my 450L and had a 3 gallon IMS tank. Not very far but it was also very difficult to ride far.

Are you going to do a seat on the KLX?
    dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I haven't decided what to do about the seat. The Seat Concepts gets mixed reviews. Years ago I bought a DR250 for my wife. I put a Travelcade Gel seat on it and it was awesome but I don't know that is still available. I could get a custom seat or have it custom modified. Ideally I'd like it a bit wider, a bit taller and softer.

Steve tried the seat concepts seat but went back to stock. His stock seat broke in and got better over time.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  6. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is my view of it, it was a great time.
    B10Dave, Pepperlady, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to edit and post this video. And thanks for leading the ride. I could have led it but the route would not have been nearly as interesting.
    B10Dave, JRowland, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  8. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome but I've followed you on some great routes and rides, it would have been great. Leading was a little intimidating; pace, breaks, ect. I'm up to wander blind without a route anytime I'm free.
    JRowland, Chillis and Salth2ofish like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You did good. My only complaint was the second break was a little overdue. Maybe with a better seat........and bladder:lol3 it wouldn't have been a problem. The pace was fine with me. Sending us ahead on a few of the dirt roads was nice because I could open up a bit but for a ride of that length a more relaxing pace was good.

I've got a couple of rides to Maggie Valley coming up which will limit my local riding some but getting together and wandering sounds good.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode my bicycle late afternoon and the clouds looked perfect for a spectacular sunset. By the time the sun was setting most of those clouds had disappeared. Oh well, any excuse to get out and ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I am planning to bring a knife to a gunfight.

:scratch

Someone posted up a street ride up to Mt Pleasant TN. I'm pretty sure there won't be any bikes less that 650cc, maybe none under 1000cc. I think I'll show up on my Like:loco If I can't keep up I'm a big boy and can find my own way.

Since this is supposed to be back roads I don't think keeping up will be a problem.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Last night I was looking at the weather forecast for today....80% chance of thunderstorms.

I wasn't sure I wanted to be riding through thunderstorms but it was supposed to be dry until noon or so. That was enough time to do at least part of the ride.

The ride organizer normally sets up his rides via texts. Somehow I ended up on the text list so occasionally I will get a bunch of texts where I don't know who any of them are from. That happened the last few days but this time I had a clue because he also posted on the Motorcycle Alabama Forum as well as Face Book.

I decided it would be a chance to go someplace different and ride some new roads. I also decided to ride my Like just to see how it would do on a big bike ride. So I got up early this morning and ride to one of the three possible meeting places, Midway Cycles. I was soon joined by a few other riders.

[​IMG]

As you can see, an assortment of bikes. Then the plan was to ride across town, in the wrong direction, to meet the other riders:dunno I really didn't feel like spending any more time than necessary on boring roads with a lot of traffic. I came up a plan to bypass that and meet them in Elkton, TN which was the third meeting spot. @Prestonee on his FJR1300 decided to join me. We hit a few of the nice country roads I normally ride on my Delina rides before heading into Elkton where we waited for the group.

[​IMG]

We waited for a while. Preston wasn't feeling that good and that combined with the 80% chance of rain made him decide to skip the rest of the ride.

[​IMG]

Preston, if it makes you feel any better, none of the roads we did after you left were as good as the ones we had already done.

The ride leader rode up and told us the group was at a gas station just down the road so I headed there.

[​IMG]

We had 10 riders on 10 bikes.

Group pic:

[​IMG]

We had a real mix of bikes. The smallest bike after mine was a ninja 1000.:eek7 Did I bring a knife to a gunfight?

We headed off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since we were all old farts we took some breaks. The ride leader was on this old GL1200.

[​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot.

[​IMG]

Plenty of clouds and we even heard thunder but no rain so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    So far my little Like had been doing fine. On the main roads including some four lane I had to pin the throttle a few days. On back roads I could have easily gone faster.

So I'm cruising along at around 55 when the engine just dies:fpalm

I hoped it was just a spark plug cap and I removed the pet carrier and one panel to get to it. Yep, the cap was just hanging there. So I put it back on and put the scooter back together. I didn't want to hold up the others longer than needed and we weren't stopped in the best location.

[​IMG]

It turned out that my cap falling off was a blessing. After we all stopped someone noticed the Ninja had a flat tire:eekers

[​IMG]

Luckily we had plenty of plug kits and air compressors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the repairs were complete we rode about 10 miles to Mt Pleasant, TN. Lunch was at the Mt. Pleasant Grill. It was pretty good but I think the Old Delina Country Stor and Soda Pop Junction as both better.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to ride after lunch.

[​IMG]

A lot of small southern towns have statues which I normally don't pay much attention to. With all the fuss over Confederate statues I decided to get some pics of this one.

[​IMG]

Another statue...errr or whatever.

[​IMG]

I had some time so I rode my scooter around for this pic.

[​IMG]

Then we headed off.

[​IMG]

We rode some nice country roads for a while but then ended up on some main roads including miles of four lane. Not really my kind of riding and I really could have used a little bit bigger scooter....like maybe a Vespa GTS:hmmmmm

We finally stopped in Elkton again. I was tired of riding boring roads so I broke off and rode the rest of the way by myself.

[​IMG]

Eventually I had to ride some boring roads and it was now hot as hell. I would have welcomed some rain at this point. I stopped at Midway Cycles and ordered a new rear tire for my Majesty. I'm pretty sure I'll need it after I ride it to Maggie Valley next week. I also got another spark plug cap.

Total for the day was 230 miles.
  15. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    fabulous ride
    great ride report
    happy for all that occurred and how you saves the ninja with you finicky spark plug cap
    klaviator likes this.
  16. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the "err or whatever" thing?

Was that a grave?
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have no idea:dunno
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out early tomorrow on the Majesty for Maggie Valley for a couple of days of riding in the NC mountains. The forecast for that area is highs in the high 70s or low 80s. It will be nice to get out of the Alabama heat.

The purpose of this ride is to pre-ride a couple of the routes for the August Scooter ride. It's a rough job but someone has to do it:D

I'm not taking my laptop so the ride report will have to wait until after I return on Wednesday. I'll try to post a few phone pics while I'm there. This will be my first actual trip of the year where I didn't truck my bike there. There will be a few other inmates joining me. I'll post more details later.
    Samspade, dp064, motocopter and 7 others like this.
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Have fun Win... looking fwd to your full RR when you get back...
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    0712200940a.jpg At the TN welcome ctr this morning.