Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't miss flying. I do miss some of the views I sometimes got. I saw a lot of spectacular light shows when there were T storms around and I got to see some great sunrises. I never saw any sunsets because I always took off way after sunset. If I was still working I'd be sleeping right now and my alarm clock would jolt me awake in about 25 minutes......No thanks.

I would have been sleeping instead of out riding a little while ago. I decided I have been neglecting the Versys so I took it for a ride.

Cools clouds. The potential for a spectacular sunset was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A train came by and made me think of @popscycle . It wasn't close enough for really good pics but I did have my Sony with its 50x zoom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the clouds were in the wrong place tonight. The sunset was nothing special.

[​IMG]

All of these pics except the two of the train were taken with my Olympus camera. It's not that I didn't take a bunch of pics with the Sony but the Olympus despite not having much of a zoom just takes better pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Olympus pictures have better color. I'd bet you can make the Sony do the same thing. I'm far from an expert, I use an iPhone lol. Nice pics, taking them is the important part, and sharing :-)
    Chillis, norton73, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Maybe I could but I haven't figured it out yet. Most of the time I don't even bring the Sony along. When I do I still end up mostly posting pics taken with the Olympus. The Olympus is way more convenient to use and as you mentioned it shows the colors better.

Here's a pic I forgot to post. Very interesting clouds.

[​IMG]

Here's some I took with the Sony. I had to do a lot of processing to make these look the way they do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm all packed up and ready to hit the road by 7 tomorrow morning:rayof I'll be back six days later. I'll post a few phone pics but the ride report will be done after I return.

:happay
  5. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

I know you'll have fun while out... looking fwd to the pics afterwards...
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I made it back from my trip today. I have about 3-400 pics to go through and upload. I also have company coming for the weekend so it may take a while to do this ride report. I'll just post a few pics as a teaser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    klaviator likes this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Last Sunday morning I was packed and hit the road by 7 AM. The planning for that started long before that. It started last year in August when I set up the first Maggie Valley "Beat the Heat" scooter ride. 10 people participated last year and we had a blast. I decided then that I would do it again and this time I would plan it more than a few weeks in advance. So I started the planning with this thread in March: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-maggie-valley-beat-the-heat-scooter-ride.1434287/

With the pandemic and lot of uncertainty this event finally came together and I headed off to Maggie Valley expecting to meet around 30 other scooter riders and have 4 days of riding some of the best roads in the country.

That afternoon I got to the Tanglewood Motel in Maggie Valley and soon others started arriving as well.

[​IMG]

We were soon hanging out and getting to know each other.

[​IMG]

It was nice and cool with temps in the 70s.

[​IMG]

And more kept arriving. Some rode there and some hauled their bikes there like I did. @CashCow hauled 2 scooters in his small pickup.

[​IMG]

How many people does it take to unload a scooter?

[​IMG]

It looked like red was the official color for this event.

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Dan ( @Dan V. ) and Candace came all the way from Michigan.

[​IMG]

Don ( @dp064 ) came from TN with this cool looking CSC San Gabriel 250.

[​IMG]

Hangin out.

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After dinner it looked like we might get a good sunset so a bunch of us rode to Waterrock Knob. Getting ready to go.

[​IMG]

The ride starts by taking 19 North to the BRP. The road was still wet from an earlier rain.

[​IMG]

We rode to Waterrock Knob and enjoyed the view. There were too many clouds to really see the sunset but it was still a great view and I took a ton of pics.

[​IMG]

There was a nice view looking east as well as west.

[​IMG]

The view changed by the minute as the sun went down and the clouds moved around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course there was plenty of conversation going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was busy snapping pics.

[​IMG]

This view only lasted a moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A full moon appeared.

[​IMG]

Or was it Tony's Halo?

[​IMG]

I took a few over the shoulder shots on the way back but they came out blurry. This was the best one.

[​IMG]
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Plan on Monday was to ride to Deal's Gap, ride the dragon and some other roads in that area. It would be a scooter invasion of Deal's Gap.

Well this is what it looked like on Monday morning.

[​IMG]

So we hung out at the motel. It wasn't a bad way to spend the day. The Motel was well set up for us to socialize and it was a great group of people to socialize with. Most of us had met on the forum but never in person. While it was disappointing to not go riding it was still a good day.

Then the weather forecast showed a window of opportunity later in the day to go riding. Sure enough the sun came out and we got ready to go.

[​IMG]

Lined up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

The ride started going up 19 to the BRP. 19 has a long and fairly steep uphill section. My little 150 will bog down to nearly 40 MPH on the steepest part. We still go stuck behind a long line of slow moving traffic. When we got to the part where there is a passing lane moat of the traffic stayed in the left lane....and continued to go slow:dunno Since I was on my slow scooter I got in the right "slow" lane....and started passing traffic. That included two Harleys. My little 150 could easily pass for on of the 50cc scooter common in NC so I have to wonder what the Harley riders where thinking as I went by them:hmmmmm

So I got on the BRP with two Harleys and then a bunch of scooters behind me.

An over the shoulder shot.

[​IMG]

Eventually I stopped at a turnoff to regroup.

[​IMG]

And off we went again.

[​IMG]

That's Rich right behind me on his Vespa GTS.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the highest point on the BRP.

[​IMG]

@dp064 on his CSC SG250.

[​IMG]

Shortly after that stop, while riding North on the BRP it started to rain. We rode the BRP to 19 and took 19 back to MV. I didn't get any more pics that day.

We were hoping for better weather on Tuesday.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    On the Monday ride Cheryl ( @cdwise ) discovered a problem with here scooter. When she got around 50 MPH the CVT started acting weird. She had some work done on it just before the trip and that included installing DR Pulley Sliders in the CVT. She was pretty sure they had installed them backwards. Luckily we had expertise and tools in the group. Greg ( @Bueller ) had tools including the all important CVT holder. @OAD had the CVT apart, put the sliders in correctly and everything re-assembled in time for the 9 O'Clock riders meeting.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to go shortly after 9.

[​IMG]

We split into two Groups with me leading the faster group and Larry ( @cleanerman ) leading the "less fast" Group.
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool to see there were tools, experience, and folks willing to help solve a scooter problem. @Bueller had good foresight to bring tools. :thumb
    Thinwater, norton73, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's about 7 or 8 miles to get out of town and off the main roads and on to the first really twisty road. So I was having a good time around the curves and soon noticed there was no one in my rear view mirror. So I slowed down.........and stopped.

Oh oh!

Then Rich came riding up and told me we lost one:(

So I went back and found a Vespa down someone's driveway but no one seriously hurt.

[​IMG]

The Vespa on the other hand didn't look so good. Pic courtesy of @cdwise

[​IMG]

Not a good way to start the day but the Vespa was rideable so the rider rode it back to the motel.

While we were there the second group came by so now they were ahead of us.

We continued the ride Minus two riders.

I got some pics when we stopped to regroup at intersections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We soon caught the second group so I got some pics of them on the go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scooter in front of me was @Bueller on his Xmax with his wife and two dogs along for the ride!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped and took a break.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Greg was down in Maggie Valley for the entire month staying in his RV. He brought tools as well as a spare scooter! There were a number of people there who could have fixed the problem but I doubt any could have done it as quickly as @OAD .
    norton73, JRowland, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't take any pics on the next leg but @CashCow did so I'll steal a couple of his. Thanks Bill!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our next stop will look familiar to those of you who have been following this thread.

[​IMG]

This was in the back window of that car.

[​IMG]

Rich, Josh and Steve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great great report. Awesome pics as well. Thank you for organizing/ planning the ride.
    norton73, JRowland, beRto. and 2 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our next leg was short but very twisty. Why such a short leg? This is such a cool spot to take a break.

[​IMG]

Of course some just had to play around:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vespa Cross?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some just hung out, socialized and enjoyed the view.

[​IMG]

One of @Bueller 's dogs.

[​IMG]

The other dog was happy being carried around by Candi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife used to tell me I always took pics of people's bikes but never the people themselves. I have been trying to fix that problem because I know that someday when I look back at this ride report I'll be glad I to have these pics to supplement my bad memory.

[​IMG]

One last pic for the "Your Bike at the Bridge" thread.

[​IMG]