Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's his V Strom 1000 which he calls Rosie.

He does keep his bikes looking pristine. His 10 year old KLX250 looks better than my 3 month old KLX.
    black 8, dp064, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed out on another ride Thursday morning, but not as early as the previous day.

[​IMG]

There's some great riding in the North Georgia mountains!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode 180/Wolf Pen Gap Rd towards Suches. I stopped at the "Suches International Airport":lol3
    to check it out. They were putting some kind of structure up right on or by the runway.

[​IMG]

There's still a windsock there so maybe the structure is not blocking the runway? Maybe a new terminal building:rofl

The runway is a 2000 foot grass strip. I wonder if the place has been sold to developers? This sign was out front.

[​IMG]

I googled it: https://kennedycreekresort.com/

It does still feature a runway. The problem is that if you fly in there is almost nothing right there and no transportation.
    norton73, Heatery, Stubanger and 8 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped at Two Wheels of Suches. I don't think Steve intended on taking a break here but it has always been one of my favorite places and I don't live 30 minutes away like he does.

[​IMG]

The restaurant is not open during the week but there was still a pretty good crowd here.

There were quite a few campers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or should I have said "Glampers":D

[​IMG]

Taking ATGATT seriously!

[​IMG]
  4. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BYOB bring your own bike (in the plane, monkey?)
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now that's an idea. If you had a Cargo Caravan you could bring two bikes in the back and the caravan could get in and out of a 2000 foot grass strip. The problem would be loading and unloading the bikes.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our plan was to ride the "cooler run". It's a 36 mile loop normally run starting at TWoS. 60S, left on 19, left on 129 and left on 180 back to TWoS. We had already done the 180 leg so we headed south on 60. Steve got out before me because after I was all geared up I discovered my key was still in my pocket:baldy

I got stuck behind a slow moving string of bikes and cars so I pulled over at Woody Gap to let them get down the road. While I was there I might as well take a pic.

[​IMG]

This stretch of 60 is a great road and was one of my favorites back in the 90s. Today it's hard to get a clean run without coming up behind slow moving traffic. That was the case today but I eventually made it to Stone Pile Gap. They had finished construction of a new traffic circle.

[​IMG]

I remember when this was just an intersection way out in the boonies. Now it feels like a suburb of Atlanta. I guess its a needed improvement given the increase in traffic but I liked it better 30 years ago.

At least they left the stone pile.

[​IMG]
  7. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't that stone pile mark a native American gravesite? Seems like I remember a nearby historical marker with the story.
    JRowland, strommonster and Chillis like this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine that used to own planes always wanted to do exactly that, Cargo Caravan and take his bike(s) with him.

Sounded like the expensive solution to travel but if you can, why not?
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's actually a lot more than that. I won't repeat the whole story here but if you are interested here is a link: http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/stonepile.html
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Exactly. If I was rich enough I would do it. If I was Bill Gates rich I'd go all the way and get a C-130 and be able take take my bikes, my friends and their bikes almost anywhere in the world.

Maybe I should have worked a couple more years before retiring. :lol3
    2372ighost, norton73, black 8 and 8 others like this.
  11. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That 20MPH sign at the circle just seems to be a challenge. How many laps did you make?:lol3
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After Stone Pile Gap we rode 19 to 129 where we headed up Blood Mountain on the 129 Speedway. Not as famous as the section of 129 called the dragon, 129 up Blood Mtn is probably more of a racetrack than the dragon. It's diabolically twisty and has two lanes going up a good portion of the way. This means it's easy to pass slower traffic and it's about as wide as a typical racetrack on the two lane sections. On this day it seemed that all the traffic, Pickups, cars and SUVs were all going for the checkered flag. Unlike the typical weekend where the road is full of Floridiots going 25 MPH, I actually had to work to pass some of the traffic:ricky:ricky:ricky

Needless to say, it was a fun ride:wings

After going over Blood Mountain we worked our way over to the Ricky Russell Raceway. OK, the official name is Richard B. Russell scenic highway. It's a fantastic road that is a cross between the dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. After the first couple of miles its pretty much non stop curves and excellent pavement. When we first got on it we were stuck behind some bikes. They weren't going that slow and it gave me the chance to get some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They pulled off at a scenic overlook and Steve picked up the pace:ricky:ricky. No more pics after that. I needed both hands to ride.

When this road ended we took a couple of lefts and took 75 North. This is another fantastic road that I had forgotten how good it was:happay

At the end of 75 we took a left towards Hiawassee.

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch. This place was very good. Despite the Covid they had a buffet and we both had it. Highly recommended:dukegirl

[​IMG]
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    With all the curves we rode that day we didn't need to ride around the roundabout. Some of the curves were a lot tighter than that anyway.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch we headed up a narrow, twisty and steep as hell road.

[​IMG]

Even the name of the road says "goat trail": Shake Rag Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pics don't show how steep this road is. Definitely one of the steepest paved roads I have ever been on.

[​IMG]

Why were we riding up this road?

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There is a sign before the top saying that spray painting is illegal. I'm not sure there is anything left that hasn't been painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't come up for the graffiti.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Steep curves and killer views, what’s not to like! Beautiful pics Win.
  17. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding north Georgia for years, Win; but never been to the top of Bell mtn. Thanks to this thread, Shake Rag Road will be part of the next trip!
    Chillis, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The only thing not to like is that I can't ride that area more often.

I started riding north Georgia in 1990 and didn't make it up Bell Mountain until last year. I didn't find out about it until a few years ago. The road to the top wasn't been paved until a few years ago.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After descending down from Bell Mountain Steve led me through a maze of back roads in far North Georgia and fat southwestern NC. Many of these roads were new to me.

[​IMG]

My pics don't capture what these roads were like as I was only able to take pics on the easy parts.

[​IMG]

My only complaint was that it was pretty hot and humid.

Nottely Dam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been riding this general area for 30 years and had no idea there were so many great back roads in this area. I used to just pass by this area on my way from the Suches area to Deal's Gap or sometimes Franklin.

I don't remember our exact mileage for the day but it was over 200 and a full day of curves:ricky:ricky:ricky.
  20. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of you should be GPS tracking so the rest of us could make the same route! We might even get a group ride going!
    2372ighost, JRowland, Chillis and 2 others like this.