1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few more shots taken at ludicrous speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That new KLX not only photographs beautifully by the riverside but must be far faster than I would have guessed!
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Bold New Graphics on the 2020 KLX makes it faster than the older versions!:D
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful colors in the pics Win!
    The Virginian, dp064, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian. I'm hoping they are even better the next few nights. A few more clouds could make it really spectacular and that is what the forecast is calling for.
    B10Dave, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Did another sunset ride to Wheeler this evening. I skipped yesterday because there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't the only one out riding on this beautiful evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This speed boat came by and made a bunch of ripples in the water messing up the reflections of the sky on the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @klaviator and I went exploring in the hills east of Huntsville today on the small dual sports. As always, he had the camera along, so he will be along shortly with the action photos. We did find some really cool roads and scenery; however, most of the potential dirt loops are blocked by a gate at some point.
    JRowland, Chillis, norton73 and 4 others like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A couple of days ago @sacto929 posted in the regional forum asking if anyone wanted to go exploring on dual sport bikes east of Huntsville. It had been quite a while since I had done any dual sport riding in that area and I knew there was a lot I had never ridden. So we met this morning in New Market. Charlie was on his Tagged CRF250X.

[​IMG]

We topped of out tanks and headed off. The first 5 miles or so where on paved roads.

[​IMG]

past some cotton fields.

[​IMG]

Approaching some mountains.

[​IMG]

Then we turned on to a dirt road I had never been on before and the fun began:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    While the last pic may show a smooth and flat trail, it wasn't all like that. Soon after getting on it started climbing up the mountain. While it wasn't super hard, it was steep and rutted enough to preclude me from taking one hand off the bars and taking pics. So keep in mind that most of my pics where on easy areas.

Mostly we were out in the woods with nothing around but there were a few exceptions.

[​IMG]

Sometimes I got pics while stopped.

[​IMG]

Many of my on the go pics came out blurry. Some didn't.

[​IMG]

Only marginally blurry. Maybe we were approaching ludicrous speed? :D

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There were a number of smaller roads and trails that branch off the "main" road. We explored some of them and found a lot of old stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some leaves were starting to change color.

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We went down one side trail that really stood out. It started out a pretty good trail but quickly turned into a narrow, gnarly, steep downhill, rutted and rocky goat trail. It just kept going down for what seemed forever but then I hate going down hill. It eventually leveled off somewhat. We stopped and took a break.

[​IMG]

It was still rocky and had a few really rocky creek crossing. I wish I had taken some pics. Eventually we came to a house.

[​IMG]

When I saw the house I figured this road had to go through. No way could they bring the building materials down the trail we just rode.

It was a dead end. There was no way through:scratch

Did they bring in the building materials by helicopter:loco

They must have done it with 4 x 4 pickup trucks. :dunno

I was a little worried about going back up the trail but it turned out to be much easier than coming down. My KLX handles way better than any of my previous dual sport bikes. I am really impressed with it.

At some point we stopped and noticed that we had covered a whopping 21 miles in an hour and a half. And about a third of that was pavement at the beginning where we were going around 50.

We did some more exploring but everything dead ended. We got back on the main road which was paved.

[​IMG]

We got to a steep hairpin riddled section and........

[​IMG]

This truck was doing around 3 MPH so we stopped and took a break.

[​IMG]
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More pavement riding.

[​IMG]

Many people don't realize that a lightweight dual sport can be a hoot on a tight twisty road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The road dumped us out into Princeton. There are no restaurants in Princeton or anywhere nearby so we rode to Skyline to get gas and something to eat.

We ate at a Mexican place.

[​IMG]

Our meals were HUUUUUUUGE!!

[​IMG]

I think I ate about a third of mine.

After that we took a somewhat direct route back towards Huntsville. We did paved roads but they were fun roads and included CR8 and going over Keel Mtn. I only took a few pics.

Nice view from Keel Mtn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got back home with around 170 miles on the Odo. It wasn't a lot of miles but we did some real nice off road riding. Unfortunately deer season starts next week and I don't thing riding some of the stuff we did would be a good idea until deer season is over.

Thanks Charlie for setting this up.:thumb:thumb:thumb I had a lot of fun and would like to ride that area again.
  14. sacto929

Oddometer:
    Win, thanks for the great pics and report! I had a good time and appreciate the company. :beer
    JRowland, Chillis, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ great updates Win...

I'm going through some serious PMS with these NF closures so I'm having to live vicariously through your RR...
    JRowland, Chillis, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  16. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have it available I would like to see a map of your route. You all but rode by my house and I don't recognize most of those trails. My guess is you went down Mountain Fork Road and the gate next to the creek happened to be open. After that I'm lost since I have never found the gate open.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't have a map. As best as I remember we did not go around any gates or even through any open gates. We did start out on Mountain Fork. We explored around a dozen dead end trails Some went quite a ways before the either dead ended or they seemed to be petering out so we turned around. There were a lot of trails off the main road that we did not explore but we guessed from their condition that they probably didn't go far.

I don't know if @sacto929 was tracking it on GPS.
    dp064, Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  18. sacto929

Oddometer:
    @zdc1775 , I do have a track from Gaia GPS, but now I need to figure out how to download it. :lol3

The turn is southbound about half a mile before the creek. You'll blow right by it if you don't know it's there. Just another hole in the bushes across from the goats....

Several weeks ago I went out by myself and rode along the creek to the gate. It was open, but I turned back at the huge "Private Road" sign.

@klaviator , I've been looking at our track versus some maps and satellite pics. I think were we turned around at the end of our final spur was within a mile or so of connecting with the other road I was thinking. Damn gates....
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  19. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always, always a treat to catch up on your thread Win. Thanks for all that you do.

Eric
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about that house we found at the end of the long, steep rocky trail.

[​IMG]

It looked lived in although no one seemed to be home at the time. It appears that someone had been mowing the grass. I wish I had taken more pics. I don't see any power lines and doubt there were any. I didn't see any solar panels. They would need a generator if they wanted electricity. They could use a well for water. Propane would work for heat and the stove.

This would really be living off the grid. Could this be a hunting cabin? We saw a some shacks and old trailers in the woods on some of the other trails. This was pretty big for a hunting cabin unless it was owned by a hunting club. To the right of the barn was a gate that didn't seem to have any purpose (not in the pic).

At the end of another trail was a small cabin that was occupied. I had stopped and a guy came out of the cabin wearing a face mask:scratch He didn't even look at me. Was he worried about getting Covid from the deer or squirrels:loco
    popscycle, B10Dave, Chillis and 6 others like this.