1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    :D
    Ready to move in for winter. Even seating around the fire pre-set. :D Previous home of KLR owner given presence of milk crate.
    Salth2ofish, Stubanger, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  2. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that this is for a hunt club. There were lots of signs in the area about "Trophy Buck." There are at least four other seating positions on the front porch in addition to the recliner.

In the area to the north, there was the place with the brown rail fence and many signs in the area saying, "Old Stag." I think these are hunt club designations, as the land to either side of the road is private. I'm not a hunter and haven't found any info online, so this is just supposition on my part.
    B10Dave, dp064, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He was worried about being identified as Walter White!

288895.jpg
  4. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you figure that out I would love a copy of it. All that property toward the end of that road is owned by a timber company that leases it to a couple different hunting clubs so I wouldn't try to explore it anytime between now and the end of the season in February but should work out nearly perfect for me since I should finally have another dual sport in the garage by then.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We picked a great time to explore that area. Besides being before hunting season, it was during the week. There was almost no one around and no one told us to "get off their lawn":lol3

So what kind of dual sport bike are you thinking of getting?
  6. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not completely sure at the moment. I would like to get a new CRF450 but I doubt that will be the case since I will have to buy two of them. More likely is a pair of KLX250's or DRZ400's.
    dp064, Chillis and sacto929 like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    On the 15th they will close a bunch of the gates in Wheeler until Feb 10th. That takes away access to about half of the roads in Wheeler. I thought I'd take advantage of one of my last chances to ride there before they close the gates. The lighting wasn't the best for taking pics but I thought I'd try to get the colors from the leaves which are starting to change around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to ride into Tennessee later this week and capture some of the colors up there.
  8. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    This is a fun thread! Thanks for posting so many photos :)
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for checking in!
    JRowland and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Win,

Any good riding around Montgomery, AL?
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I lived just outside of Montgomery in Prattville for about a year in 01-02 while going to the Air Force War College. From street riding perspective the riding was a bit boring right around Montgomery but it got better going North. I had just started riding in the dirt and I did find some interesting place to do that but I wasn't there long enough to really explore that much.

My riding experiences while living in Prattville are in my ride report here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-22#post-31208699

Go North a couple of hours towards Mt Cheah and there is some very nice riding on and off the pavement.

You planning on going there sometime in the future?
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...

"Gots" to go to Kissimmee and will leave next week (unplanned of course)... I'll be there for a 6 month deployment this go round though to help out. :lol3

I'm planning my route now and I'm trying to avoid the I-10 due to all the storms/damage...

I was lookin' to RON at Maxwell...
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You will find much better riding if you plan a route a little farther North. If you come through Huntsville I know of a place that would make a much better RON than Maxwell.

I understand you may need to get there quickly but just in case you have the time to take a more Northerly route, you've got a place to stay here.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Win... I just found out a couple of days ago so I'm scrambling right now.

I want to do a meet and greet at some point while I'm out that way, just not sure if it will be on the ride there or the ride back...
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Depending on the timing, I might be able to ride down and meet up if you choose to RON in Montgomery. I have a dual sport event coming up in Tellico Plains 22-25 Oct. Other than that my Calendar is open at this time.
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Win... When I explore possible routes later today, I'll try to finagle a maintenance day at Maxwell IOT effect a meet up...

I'll PM you once I get closer to Alabama...
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind if you route a little farther North you will be able to catch some fall colors.
    dp064, black 8 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  18. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win, I'm searching for a thread for the upcoming dual sport ride in Tellico Plains. Is there one?
    Dirt Road Cowboy and dp064 like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's on the MA forum under ride planning.

I'll post more info when I get home and on my computer.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This "event" will be 22-25 Oct. It's camping at CMTC and a few days of dual sport riding around Tellico Plains. It's not exactly a huge event, just something I put together.

Link: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3947.0