Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reflex and I would love to putt around on those roads!!! Wow, wow,wow. Thanks for sharing.
    JRowland, dp064, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a beautiful area. For every road in the area I have ridden, there are a bunch I haven't. Over time I'll go back and explore all those side roads that I have just ridden by, wondering where they go and what's on them. That should keep me busy for a few years:ricky:ricky
    JRowland, dp064, Salth2ofish and 3 others like this.
  3. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Win, on your trip to Tellico Plains, have you considered going up the Sequatchie Valley from I-24 at Jasper, TN and then heading east on TN 30 to Athens and 39 to Tellico? There are lots of lovely small roads along the way that meander through the countryside and take you more of less in the direction you're headed. Takes you around all the congestion and construction delays of the Chattanooga area. Prolly add a couple hours to your trip, but they'd be quality hours . . .
    B10Dave, Chillis, Salth2ofish and 2 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have gone through that area before. I'd consider it if I was riding but I'll be in the truck so I'll take the fastest route so I can have more time to ride in the Tellico area.
    B10Dave, Chillis, norton73 and 2 others like this.
  5. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I take that route even in the truck. I find it’s thirty minutes worst case and it’s more relaxed. If anything happens on the interstate, you’ve saved time.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have seldom had traffic issues going to Tellico through Chattanooga. Coming back on the other hand I have often ran into traffic jams. I'll take a look into that route.

Edit: according to Google maps its 15 miles and 42 minutes longer that way.
  7. staticPort

Oddometer:
    I live on the east side of Chattanooga and often travel through Huntsville on my way to my son's place in Hernando, MS. Rush hour traffic in Chattanooga is always bad and often adds 30 minutes or more to total trip time. At present a new interchange is under construction at the I-24/I-75 intersection so expect delays around there. The river and mountains west of Chattanooga force all traffic into a narrow passage so congestion is inevitable and when it clogs you're stuck. TN 28 up the Sequatchie valley and 30 over to Athens is scenic and stress free as TheSweeper mentioned.
    B10Dave, Chillis, norton73 and 2 others like this.
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Often when I am on the bike returning from Tellico Plains, I will go west on 30 , past Falls Creek Falls SP almost to McMinnville. Then I take 56 south through Beersheba Springs, Altamont , and Suwanee. Plenty of fun roads from there into North Alabama.
    B10Dave, dp064, Salth2ofish and 5 others like this.
  9. staticPort

Oddometer:
    After consulting a map, rather than just my memory, if you're in the truck I'd suggest going up 28 to 111, then 111 east over Walden's Ridge to US 27 up to Dayton, then east on 30. Will be quicker than taking 30 across the ridge (but taking 30 across is more fun on 2-wheels).
    dp064, Chillis and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was debating whether to change my rear tire before this trip. It wasn't worn out and I figured it was good for about 500 more miles:hmmmmm

I decided to go ahead and change it. I noticed it had no weights on it. Was it balanced or did the factory just not bother?

1019201159.jpg
    It was not balanced. 21 grams didn't balance it and I didn't want to keep playing with it. I hadn't noticed any vibration.

I mounted a new D605, the same tire as it came with. I've been pretty happy with it. It's similar to a Shinko244 which is what I would have used if I didn't go with the Dunlop. I got a set of D605s shipped to my door for $97. Shinkos would have been 3-4 dollars more so price really wasn't an issue.

New and old tires with exactly 2500 miles on the odo.

1019201425.jpg

The new tire only took 14 grams to balance.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since I have a new tire and the weather looks great the next few days I think I'll head up to Tellico on Wednesday instead of Thursday providing I get some things done tomorrow.
    JRowland, B10Dave, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  12. staticPort

Oddometer:
    New tires before a trip rather than after are a wise choice. The take-off reminds me of what Jerry Bradford of Bentonville BMW (RIP) commented once upon time: "Too worn to mount; too much left to throw away!"
  13. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Super Cub, Monkey, and 701 Enduro did not have wheel weights installed.

Off road you typically air down so weights won't matter.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  14. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    That tire was the original? A 2014 model? I'm thinking that tire lasted a long time. The rubber must have been noticeably hardened.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's a 2020 model that I bought in June.
  16. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 duh, I'm thinking of the Versys. Yeah, :thumb fresh knobs!
    Chillis likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Versys needs a new tire as well. I'm going to order one tomorrow as well a new chain and sprockets.
    JRowland, B10Dave, motocopter and 3 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I needed to take the KLX out to test ride the new tire and to make sure the wheel wouldn't fall off:D I did a short 10 mile loop and got a few pics while I was out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy to report that the wheel did not fall off and the tire didn't go flat:D

Mission accomplished!
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't air down. I may air up a little if I will be riding all pavement but I typically run around 22 PSI which seems to be a good compromise. Around here a dual sport ride will almost always be a combination of pavement and dirt. Trying to air up and down at each transition would be a royal PITA.

I have always balanced my Dual sport tires. Does it really make a difference? I don't know but it can't hurt. Keep in mind that balancing makes the most difference at higher speeds. Higher speeds are mostly going to happen on the pavement when airing down is not a good idea.
  20. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that when I bought my 09 KLX, it was unrideable above 45 mph. The PO had put new tires on when he sold it to me and hadn't balanced them. First thing I had to do was balance them so I could ride it. I typically run 20-22 psi.