Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Chris-KH2PM

Chris-KH2PM Kawasaki Versys 1000 & KLX650 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report @klaviator ! Stunning images of the fall colors and great shots while riding! What an awesome area to ride!
    Chillis, dp064, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good grief
    Jaw-dropping
    Mind-blowing
    Incredible beauty
    What a ride!
    Thanks for sharing all of this
    Chris-KH2PM, Chillis, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  3. CheapB

CheapB Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report for sure. Blown away at the fall colors, y’all couldn’t have hit it at a better time. Would love to get up with you one of these days.
    Chillis, dp064, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  4. EGR

EGR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Abuse. Totally. Exactly.
  5. EGR

EGR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks! Haven’t seen some of those views in decades. We were living in area when our xt500 & ct90 were newish.
    Chillis, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It is an awesome area to ride. I'm looking forward to going back next year.
    Chillis and JRowland like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg. If you get a Trail Cub or ADV 150 you could go up there and ride everything we rode in those 5 days. Have you decided on one of those yet?
    Chillis, dp064 and JRowland like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We did have perfect timing for the colors.

Maybe next year we can get together on one of my trips towards your area. I was in Tellico twice this year, twice in Maggie valley and twice in North Georgia. I expect I'll do at least that many trips that way next year.
    Chillis, dp064, ZigzagguzzI and 3 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll bet the area has changed a bit since you lived there.
    drumdog, Chillis and JRowland like this.
  10. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was up around Grandfather Mountain and Blowing Rock this weekend. Mostly Forrest service roads. The leaves aren’t nearly this colorful. We went up Old Hose Gap. Now that was a trip! Boulder fields and ditches the whole way. Hope to see Tellico this spring.
    justBert, Chillis, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  11. EGR

EGR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pre Skyway. Coker Creek area was seriously sketchy. Maybe six functional business in TP. Zero second homes in the hills affluent SUV people. Tellico Beach DI was the only structure out past 360 intersection. Over Citico Creek one could plausibly smell a Cherokee cooking fire...

Careful it doesn’t get loved to death.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My first time to Tellico Plains was in 1991. I was staying at TWO in Suches and Frank had these home made maps:

[​IMG]

So I did Frank's 10 cent tour. At the time I was riding my 89 EX500. TN165 was a dead end, at least if you wanted to stay on pavement. Back then there wasn't much traffic on 165 since it was a dead end. I rode it like a racetrack running most of it at 70-80 MPH:ricky:ricky:ricky

Completing the Skyway did bring a lot more tourists to Tellico Plains but it doesn't seem that the town has grown that much. There are more cabin rentals, but still no chain motel or any chain fast food places other than the Hardees and Subway. It's still a seasonal town and a tough place for a business to survive.
  13. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! :rofl
  14. drumdog

drumdog it wasn't me ! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @klaviator for posting this trip ! That is what it's all about and what many of us seek. This thread was a welcome respite on this election day ! This area has moved up on my list .
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. This was "what it's all about" for me. Everything just came together for these 5 days. Great weather, great riding, spectacular scenery with the leaves right at peak colors, and a bunch of great people to ride with and hang out with at the campground. The only real negative is that this will be a tough act to follow.

If you ever get the chance to ride the Tellico area, do it! It's a great area to ride both on and off the pavement. My only qualification is that it does tend to be hot during the summer so I wouldn't recommend it in July or August. Spring and fall are the best times to ride the Tellico area.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode my Like for the first time in over a month. My parts finally came in. I replaced the belt, rollers and the drive faces of the variator. The rollers had some pretty bad flat spots. My top speed with the old belt was around 58-59 MPH on the speedo which reads 1-2 mph high. With the new parts I could hit 65-66 MPH.

I'm planning on doing a day ride on the Like on Saturday. Rich @2372ighost texted me today with pics of a new bike. He'll be riding that on Saturday. It's even smaller than my Like. Stay tuned for pics of that bike!

Details of the ride for anyone interested in riding along: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3966.msg35418#msg35418
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now that my like is running again I realized how much I missed it. It's just so much easier to jump on it and go for a ride. It just begs to be ridden:ricky It looked like there was the possibility of a nice sunset so I headed out a bit before sunset. Will there be a nice sunset?

[​IMG]

I continued on to the Tennessee River. Sunsets always look better over the water.

[​IMG]

A little more dirt road and I came to the spot where I would park and see what the sunset would be like.

[​IMG]

I was there for a while. I took a bunch of pics from different angles.

[​IMG]

I even changed the position of my scooter.

[​IMG]
    Skooter, drumdog, Chillis and 17 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I figured this was as good as it was going to get tonight.

[​IMG]

But then the sky started to glow red.

[​IMG]

I figured that the glow would soon fade so I started heading home stopping at this spot I took an earlier pic.

[​IMG]

So I head for Home.

I should have waited.

[​IMG]

This would have been even better over the Tennessee River.

[​IMG]
    Skooter, drumdog, Chillis and 19 others like this.
  19. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scooter pointing to the river. Having heard a few comments about not turning a throttle for the MP3's or a DCT because they will take off with or without the rider, my mind starts to think a foot slip in the grass/dirt and an unexpected twist of the throttle the scooter jumps in the river! I'm sure it won't happen. Maybe saw too many cartoons as a kid. :lol2
    Chillis, dp064, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I really have to be very careful with the Like. That massive 13 horsepower is really hard to control.

:lol3
    Chillis, Stubanger, norton73 and 7 others like this.