Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every one of that pic series is a winner Win but my favourite is the third from last view.
    Chillis, black 8, ZigzagguzzI and 4 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I took 64 pics last evening. Almost all of them came out really good. It was hard to narrow it down to what I posted.

I'll be heading up into Tennessee tomorrow. I'm hoping for some nice fall colors but I'll be surprised if its near a nice as Tellico Plains was. At least it should be a fun ride. I'll be leading a motorcycle ride on my Like.
  3. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to join you at the Shell station!
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Awesome! See you tomorrow!
    Chillis, JRowland and 2372ighost like this.
  5. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed this thread. I live in Dunlap TN and now have several new roads to try out on my next trip over to Tellico. Frank Cheek...now there's a name I didn't expect to pop up. I and a riding buddy of mine used to stay at TWO in the early 90's and give Frank a hard time:-) I couldn't believe it when you posted that map. I have the same little folder of hand-drawn maps Frank sold at TWO. RIP
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went to TWO and met Frank in 1990. In 1991 I came back seven times. I got to know Frank as well as his wife Jeannie and some other TWO regulars. Those were some great times. I even did a ride report of those days: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-11#post-26454099
  7. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I followed your link. Good to read about Frank and TWO back in the "old days." I lived south of Atlanta and would ride up to Suches with my riding buddy on our Harley's. Not being campers, we'd stay in the lodge. Looking back, I can't believe the stuff we did. We'd ride into Suches for dinner and ride back out to TWO at night on that road! :grimDon't think I'd do that now. I wish I'd known about Frank's passing several years back, I would have loved to have been able to pay my respects.
    JRowland likes this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'd do the same thing, ride to Dahlonega for dinner and back in the dark. A lot of riders did that because there was no place to eat that was closer. I remember riding back in a group. It was pretty cool seeing all the lights snaking their way around the curves on 60.

I was able to attend the Memorial Service for Frank: https://advrider.com/f/threads/frank-cheek-memorial-ride-pics-and-stories.517106/
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I started thinking about doing a Saturday ride over a week ago but hadn't decided on exactly what. Then I got a text from @2372ighost . He got a new bike! So we ended up talking on the phone and came up with a plan. I would do the street ride I was thinking of doing but I would lead it on my Like instead of one of my bigger bikes. We would also make this the "grand unveiling" of his new bike. Rich has now done this with his last three new (to him) bikes and this would make #4.

So why ride my Like?

Stay tuned.

I got on the road shortly after 7 this morning and headed for Ardmore. It was low 50s but the bright sunshine promised a quick warmup.

I was hoping for some colorful leaves. It was looking promising.

[​IMG]

I got to the Shell station around 8 and topped off my tank. Then I parked and waited for the others to show up. It didn't take long and Rich showed up on his new toy.

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    What is it?

[​IMG]

Anyone recognize what it is?
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Benelli TNT 135...
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yep!

[​IMG]

It's a 2019 that Rich picked up used.

[​IMG]

Soon a few more regulars showed up. @SoloRider73 on his MG V7 Stone, @TheSweeper on his CRF250L and @Thinwater on his Himalayan. Putting in a special guest appearance was @tonymarchman on his Vespa GTS. Tony came from somewhere West of Nashville for this. He came to my Maggie Valley Scooter rides the last couple of years but this was his first appearance one of my local rides.

We soon headed out.

[​IMG]

It was a gorgeous day with perfect riding conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chillis, drumdog, Thinwater and 11 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was great to be out riding:ricky

[​IMG]

Looking back at the day I just realized that I didn't think about what was happening in the "real world" even one time. I was just riding, enjoying the scenery and snapping pics.

[​IMG]

The colors weren't as spectacular as they were around Tellico Plains but still, not bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped and took a break.

[​IMG]
    Chillis, drumdog, Thinwater and 11 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We talked about the performance of Rich's TNT. He was on my tail the whole ride. It appears that the acceleration and top speed of the TNT is very close to the Like. They are both rated at around 13 HP. After the break Rich and I swapped bikes.

Rich on my scooter.

[​IMG]

Riding the TNT was interesting and fun. I couldn't help but compare it to the Grom I rode this summer. First off, the TNT was way more comfortable than the Grom. I was folded up like a pretzel on the Grom. I felt like I could ride the TNT all day. It's just a much better riding position for a tall guy like me. On top of that Rich had put a seat cushion on it.

Performance? With a 135cc 4 valve motor and a 5 speed tranny this thing just felt a lot faster than a grom. The steering felt twichy, not nearly as stable as my Like. We were behind a truck for a bit on the four lane and it felt like its wake was moving the bike around. The suspension is stiff but rides better than my Like. The motor is not as smooth as my Like's but the vibration was not enough to bother me.

Overall, this is a fun bike that would be a blast on a really twisty road like the many of the roads around Maggie Valley. On the down side it doesn't have any place to carry anything.

We stopped for an early lunch.

[​IMG]

When we stopped Rich commented on how smooth the Like was.

[​IMG]

Lunch was very good as always.
    Chillis, drumdog, Thinwater and 13 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More riding after lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This answers the question I asked on the other thread.. congratulations Rich,
    Chillis, black 8, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The pavement on these "goat trails" made for a rough ride. I wasn't originally going to ride these but changed my mind at the last second. I'm glad I did because the best colors of the day were here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode into Lewisburg for gas. With a 1.8 Gal tank I wasn't going to make it back to Ardmore and there were no gas stations on our route. I had 85 miles on the odo and took 1.1 gals. Rich had ridden a bit further and had 89 mi on his Odo and took 1 Gal. 90 MPGs ain't back especially considering he had been flogging it!

More riding.

[​IMG]

It was clouding up. Was it going to rain?

[​IMG]
    Chillis, drumdog, popscycle and 16 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We ended up back in Delina where we took another break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the break Tony headed off for home.

Rich and I set up our bikes for this pic.

[​IMG]

Head to head, two very different 13 HP bikes. While that's not exactly a lot of power, it was more than enough for us to have a blast on the back roads of middle Tennessee.
    Chillis, drumdog, Thinwater and 14 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed back towards Ardmore on some fun roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Ardmore but it started raining so we split up and headed for home. I was in light rain for a few minutes but then it stopped and I had a dry ride home.

A few miles from home I pulled a u turn to get this pic:

[​IMG]

I ended up with over 200 miles for the day. It was a great day. Thanks to everyone who showed up. Rich, thanks for letting me ride your new toy! I think you have another great club for your "golf bag" of motorcycles.
  20. 2372ighost

2372ighost Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    “I ended up with over 200 miles for the day. It was a great day. Thanks to everyone who showed up. Rich, thanks for letting me ride your new toy! I think you have another great club for your "golf bag" of motorcycles.”

I think I need an intervention. :)