Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be during the week again this year. The motel rates are less during the week and more importantly the roads have much less traffic on them.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to riding with you this year!
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Josh, it was great meeting and riding with you as well. You are truly blessed to be living in the middle of some of the best riding in the country. I have enjoyed seeing your pics of that area as well. They really make me want to get up there on my KLX. I'm sure we'll ride again this year!

Edit: It was great seeing @dpippin again after all these years. Thanks for setting that up!
  4. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I could join you on most of the rides you go on, but I’m sure you remember how it is to not be retired. Anyway, I would be interested in mid-week rides in the general vicinity of Deals gap. At least, rides that a Grom would be suited to...
  5. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Josh for connecting me with Win last year.
    I've known Win for many years but lost touch over time so it was fun to catch up again
    Don't have a scooter but it was fun to tag along with the scooters for a day on my DR650
    I also have a KLX250S and may be able to join a Tellico dual sport ride. I've ridden there many times.
    I'm more of a lurker than poster but do keep up with this forum.

Hope that things will get back to normal (whatever that is) this year and at 80 I'll be more comfortable at events with lots of people.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I hear you about keeping a distance. I'm 67 so I am careful with gatherings. I was registered for the Broxton Bridge dual sport ride in the middle of Jan, but when the post Thanksgiving surge kicked it, I withdrew my entry. Mixing at an event with 250 others just concerned me. That ride has been on my bucket list and I was finally going to get to ride it. :baldy
    I cant wait to get my vaccine so I can resume normal activities and not be worried that I might get sick
    JRowland, Chillis, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    2021 started with a beautiful day and over 70 degrees. I eventually got out and started off the new year with a short ride.

[​IMG]

One of the advantages of taking pics over the water is the reflections on the water. That wasn't happening today because it was real windy and the water was too rough.

[​IMG]

Even this little puddle had ripples from the wind which messed up the reflection.

[​IMG]

I guess I'm getting spoiled from the spectacular sunsets I have seen this year. This one was just average.

[​IMG]

Some people having fun on their boat.

[​IMG]

The water in this pic is actually a farm field but overnight rains flooded it.

[​IMG]

The KLX has a better headlight than the KLR did and makes night riding more fun.

[​IMG]

I'll probably get out tomorrow to meet some Motorcycle Alabama members down at Chef Troy's for lunch.
  8. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year Win. Looks like a great riding plan for 2021... enjoy.
    dp064, Thinwater, chethro and 5 others like this.
  9. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year!
    dp064, Thinwater, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  10. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you make into the Central/NW quadrant of WV let me know. I would like to meet up! :thumb Perhaps we could even ride, it doesn't matter to me if it's street or trail. :ricky
    Chillis, dp064, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  11. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klaviator is an ambassador. Being reaquainted with motorcycling after a 20yr Hiatus, I threw out a ride in the winter because I couldn't wait until spring with a new bike for the first time in 20yrs. Klaviator, and 2 other showed up if I remember right, and thats how I met him and found out about how to watch for rides. I've met so many more people and rode with them and had a blast, because he blind showed up for a ride in the cold on a 50percent chance of rain day to a rider he'd never met. If you haven't ridden with him, welcome, but when you show up to one of his rides take very seriously his riders meeting statement about ride your own pace. He really does have no problem waiting on you at the next intersection turn, really, he means it. No need in trying to hold his pace if its uncomfortable to you. Don't be afraid to come to the ride because you think your pace is off either! I like that the bike doesn't matter, or even if its classified as a motorcycle at all on some of the street rides.

I haven't been doing a lot of riding. I don't know what my this year miles were, but its very close to 11,000 miles since my 2018 Himalayan has 22,800 on it right now.

I'm not only into bikes and some of the things I'm into are a long term commitment situation where without selling out, once you start you have to continue sometimes out of pure duty. I'm still into riding, but un devoted my Saturdays to motorcycling after October to continue the commitment for a winter season. I've got a CalSci windscreen for the Himalayan and Barkbuster Blizzard handguards over my heated grips. I've been prepping for cold weather riding although I already rode cold with wearable gear in the past, just making it easier. Also on @Pepperlady 's bike christmas heated grips covered with Barkbuster Blizzard Guards also, since the CRF being liquid cooled is her cold weather bike and the air cooled lighter DR200se is her summer lightweight rougher terrain dualsport now a days. So I have been actively improving the motorcycling and commute some. @jrm927 and I made a small run just Wednesday afteroon after work and I had 150miles for the day.

I'm looking forward to rides this year and so is Pepperlady. I'd love to work in all I can attend, and we are trying to go to Colorado for a ride this year.

Tellico Plains Fall ride of 2020 is being edited right now, it was action packed and two sessions of working on it, I've made it up to after lunch at the beginning of the single track DAY 1! Those colors were so good I have to get an editing software functional before the final cut that corrects the bright/dark cycle and related color faults. It was just too beautiful to let the common software not show the true experience.

Lots to do hope you all have a Happy New Year, sorry for the Novel of a post.
    popscycle, B10Dave, norton73 and 12 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode to Houston and back today......

Houston, Alabama, not the lesser know Houston in Texas:D

By some strange coincidence there were a bunch of bikes there when I arrived.

[​IMG]

And some people I knew were there as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a good lunch at Chef Troy's. They have put in a bunch of picnic tables and it was a beautiful day so we ate outside. It was great seeing everyone and meeting a few new people. After lunch I went inside and someone had paid everyone's tab:-)

The rest of the group had ridden there in a group and left in a group.

[​IMG]

@2372ighost came there on his Peterbilt 18 wheeler.:D

[​IMG]

I rode there and back alone. For the ride there I taken a fairly direct route. I came back through the Bankhead Forest. There are some nice curvy roads but not much on the way of good picture taking opportunities. The only pic I got was this pic from a small bridge.

[​IMG]

When I got close to home the sky looked interesting so I stopped to take some pics.

[​IMG]

Total mileage for the day was a little over 140 miles. It wasn't that great of a ride but it was great catching up with some friends I hadn't seen all year.
    zookster, black 8, norton73 and 9 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No need to apologize, I found your post interesting. I still remember out first ride well. So I went back and found that ride in this thread. It was way back on page 95 and we are now on page 212. This thread has been much more active the last two years than it was the first 8 years.

Back to that ride. It was a cold and gloomy day and had been wet. I was a bit leery about going on that ride but it was a chance to meet some local riders and find some local dual sport riding so I headed out. Then it started raining and I thought I might end up the only one there but you and @Kronus showed up and we ended up having a good ride. That was the first of many good rides we have had together.

One of the reasons I do this ride report is that I can look back and relive those good times. The ride report for that ride over two years ago is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/full...-the-rocket-city.647784/page-95#post-36616558

Your post also reminded me that I really want to get out to Colorado for some dual sport riding. My plate looks pretty full for this year already but if Moab doesn't work out then Colorado or someplace else out west is a possibility.

Anyway, looking forward to more rides with you as well as Natalee this coming year.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug, good to hear from you again! I decided to go back and see when we first met. I think it was at the HSTA rally in Townsend in 1992. I know we met in Helen at STAR in 1993 because I have a picture with you in it. Even though this was way before ADV was around I did do a ride report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-14#post-29966844

Here's the pic I found:

[​IMG]

I looked for more pics with you in them from those early days but couldn't find any. I did come across this interesting video with Diane in it:

I hope we can ride together again this year!
  15. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Rich :tb
  16. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look so forward to meeting you too klav, and riding those mountain roads on the scoots. Happy 2021.
    JRowland, dp064, Thinwater and 2 others like this.
  17. 2372ighost

2372ighost Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    O
    Thanks Josh, I’ve been riding much smaller bikes lately, this one had been neglected. Now I remember why it’s been neglected!
    JRowland, dp064, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    happy new year
  19. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of artistry with a camera - those are super!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. Coming from someone who has your talent with the camera that means a lot.
    JRowland and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.