Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was dry when we rode it earlier this year and was a lot of fun. There were some sections that had deep sand and were pretty squirrely. Lack of gravel would make that road a handful when wet.
  2. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dogs and turkeys I don’t mind. It was the herd of cows on both sides of the road that we went through last year that was concerning. A herd of spooked cows can do a lot of damage.
    dp064, Thinwater, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Last outing jrowland and I had to deal with a goat
    dp064, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  4. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    i came around a corner up in VA and found a young bull standing in the road. He started to stare me down and there was no way I was gonna be able to make a u turn if he decided to charge. My wife caught up to me a few seconds later and started blowing her horn. I did too, and I guess he decided he was out numbered and slowly wandered off.
  5. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was thinking that ram action when I filmed this. That’s why I put my phone down when I realized we were surrounded.
    gulfcoaster, dp064, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  7. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Yikes did you see the buffalo toss that woman at Sturgis this year?
  8. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen it now, that was really funny! I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time but I was sure grinnin’ watching it.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and dp064 like this.
  9. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A handful is a bit of an understatement. On the tigers and the multistrada it was damn near impossible, on something smaller like your KLX it would have been a handful.

As an update, my wife's thumb was still swollen and hurting from one of her times dropping the bike, so off to the doctor she went and it's broken. Now we are just waiting for the ortho to review the X-rays and see if she gets a brace, a cast, or surgery. I made it out with only some bruised ribs and some very sore muscles.
  10. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up with cows, you pick a line go smooth steady and slow, don't make them feel like they are getting cornered or cramped. You do that and everybody stays calm and you go right through.
  11. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This was just before we found the herd. I was behind the camera bike. Skip to about three minutes in. It was a heart stopper! The guy in the lead is always so calm. He'll announce "there's a truck in our lane" very calmly. When he rounded that corner all I heard was "SH#T!". I knew it was bad. All I could do was slow down as much as possible and be prepared to find an exit.
    dp064, Thinwater, 2372ighost and 3 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Upper 60s and sunny today. I went for three separate rides. The first two were errands around town so I didn't take any pics. I got out on the Versys for the first time this year.

I did take some pics on my third ride.

[​IMG]

It was worth the ride but certainly not one of the best sunsets I have captured.

I caught a fast moving speed boat enjoying the beautiful weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last pic on the way home.

[​IMG]

The temperature will be dropping tomorrow and for the next week. It won't be too cold too ride but I don't know that I will feel like doing any long rides. I'm still hoping that the weather on Saturday will be good enough for a group ride. It's looking iffy right now.
  13. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Entertaining description of calm leader guy.

dp064 and JRowland like this.
  14. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you missed them all.
  15. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    klaviator likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Been riding for 40 years. I haven't missed them all. I ran over something small like a woodchuck that bounced up and hit my foot. I was going around 70. It felt like I broke my foot for about a half hour.

I was riding around 65 approaching a bridge that has a bunch of Ravens on it. They took off as I approached. I saw one right ahead of me so I ducked and it bounced off the top of my helmet. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't ducked.

I hit a very large bird at speed while riding my R1100GS. It hit my bike and exploded guts all over the bike and me. It must have been something like a buzzard or turkey.

I hit a deer going around 65 on that same R1100GS. I went asphalt surfing while wearing Joe Rocket mesh jacket and pants. I walked away and even rode the bike home although it was pretty messed up. My only injury was some road rash on one elbow due to my jacket sleeve riding up. The jacket itself didn't have a scratch on it. The deer was dead.

That last accident was around 12 years ago. I haven't hit any critters since although I have had some close calls.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    My dad's buddy hit a porcupine. Bounced his GoldWing into the air. Quills flatted his front tire.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I were humming down from the Mt. Whistler Hostel in Jasper at a fair clip (very windy road) when blasting out of a tight corner was a large black bear crossing the road from the bush on one side to the other in no particular hurry. Utter panic set in and I skidded past his ass end by maybe a foot nearly half sideways. It was a miracle I didn't crash, hit the bear or the bear didn't stop or turn around.

Just as close was buddy's identical panic to also miss the bear but perhaps more importantly miss ME who had abruptly braked suddenly. He wailed by me also crossed up missing me by inches. We carried on into the Jasper town site for breakfast at a much more leisurely pace to check on underwear. The bear never so much as turned his head with all this chaos happening around him.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had some shopping to do today and when that was done I wasn't too far from the Alabama Tag so I went and grabbed it.

[​IMG]

There was a place nearby that I thought would make an interesting new tag so I headed there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was around 3.5 miles of dirt road. It was mostly nice and smooth although I did dodge some potholes.

I knew there was one section that might be a bit tricky on a big scooter with street tires.

[​IMG]

It was.

[​IMG]

I made it through without dropping the scooter or even sliding any but I did get it a bit dirty.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    This was the new tag I set.

[​IMG]

I have been here before on my KLR and KLX and posted pics here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a huge flock of geese out on the water.

[​IMG]

For those of you who might not have seen my post in the North Alabama Riders thread or Motorcycle Alabama, I'll be leading a short street ride tomorrow with lunch in Delina. @TheSweeper has promised to ride a mystery bike on this ride. Hope to see some of you tomorrow. Shell in Ardmore at 12.