Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After more than a week of "winter" weather we had a thaw today. Since it was forecast days ago I set up a short and easy dual sport ride in the nearby Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. The plan was to meet at 1:00 and ride a couple for hours. I figured this was plenty of time to ride all the roads in Wheeler on this side of the river. I posted the ride in the regional forum and on Motorcycle Alabama. There was a fair amount of interest but not many people committed to coming. I figured we would have 3-4 riders and a relaxing ride on some easy gravel roads.

We ended up with five at the meeting spot. I tried to get everyone in the pic but didn't realize that two were in the Witness Protection Program. I raised my camera and they ran:D

[​IMG]

We headed off for the nearest dirt road about 2 miles away.

Normally these roads are scenic but very easy. Today they were scenic but pretty slick and muddy in many places.

[​IMG]

This was not one of those muddy places.

[​IMG]

Generally it was fairly dry in places that got plenty of sun.

[​IMG]

We were riding along and came across four guys on Adventure bikes. We stopped to say hi. One of them had a drone which is why the guy in the foreground was looking up.

[​IMG]

While we were stopped two more riders came along. It was @Thinwater and @Pepperlady . We now had 11 riders here.

[​IMG]

We talked a bit. These guys were also headed for Tellico at the end of March so some of us will see them there.
    popscycle, black 8, Skooter and 11 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We took off. I had a route planned out but when I turned to follow it:

[​IMG]

We had one guy one fairly street oriented tires and even with Knobbies snow and ice can be challenging. So I decided to skip this road and turned down an easier one.

It started pretty easy but as we went in there was a bit of snow along the sides.

[​IMG]

We rode a bit further and....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not a real dual sport ride until......
    popscycle, black 8, Skooter and 13 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

She fell right into an ice cold puddle. Luckily neither Natalee or the bike were hurt.

[​IMG]

You might think we have had some precipitation around here lately.

Johnny on his new CRF450

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode several different sections of wheeler with many of the roads being dead ends so we had to back track a lot. This did give me some good picture opportunities.

[​IMG]

I think someone dumped it near the last pic but I didn't get a pic.

[​IMG]

Riding some pavement. Even though there was snow along the side of the road it was nearly 60 degrees.

[​IMG]

We rode under a huge flock of birds.

[​IMG]
    popscycle, black 8, Skooter and 14 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The last section we would ride was the road that went to the place where I placed the Alabama Tag-O-Rama a couple of weeks ago on my scooter.

It was a bit dryer then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone else dumped it around here and I missed it again:baldy Sorry Natalee, I guess you were the only one to have your spill recorded today.

We took a break here. It was pretty noisy because we has two lanes of I-65 on each side of us.

[​IMG]

Ben, on the right was riding with us for the first time. Hopefully we'll see him again on future rides.

[​IMG]

After that we headed for home. My ride totaled around 55 miles and only took about 3 hours. It ended up being much more of an adventure than I expected but that will just make it more memorable. It was good getting out and seeing everyone today!
  6. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a short but exciting ride. Sorry I wasn’t there to add to the normal “oops” photo op. It was a little to far for an afternoon ride. @zookster put on a local ride on his Ural. I joined in with mine and we had 2 “normal “ dual sports join us. I had a little over 150mi on the odometer when I got home. 1B53DFA4-5246-456D-A025-17570B6C2E71.jpeg
  7. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting up the ride. I'm gonna let you off the hook on a ragging at this point. @Pepperlady and I being about 15 minutes late, I skipped the first left trail thinking it might be enough to get ahead. Then we putted down the river bank thinking you guys would come up behind us and we'd join in. When we came upon you at a rest, I told you you were getting slow that we ran you down from behind. :D
    Lets do it again next year, 1st annual Mudfest ride.
    El Vulch, B10Dave, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  8. Thinwater

Oddometer:
    Rich that Ural in 2wd would have been optimal for the Wheeler ride this time! Glad you got out, hope to see you another time!
  9. munsonbw

munsonbw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for organizing the ride, Win. I'll confess to being the one who dumped it at the last mudhole pic. It would have been a good one to get on video as I did a somersault on the dismount. The leaves made for a soft landing, though. I had a great time and look forward to riding with the group again.

Ben
  10. Thinwater

Oddometer:
    I didn't see it happen, but I saw you getting up. I told Pepperlady over the comms, "Man he is a long way from the down bike getting up, that must have been bad". I'm glad you didn't get hurt. The rides usually aren't this challenging, give it another chance.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Quoting Forest Gump: "Our rides are like a box of chawklit, you never know what your going to get."

:rofl:rofl
  12. munsonbw

munsonbw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a lesson learned for me. This was my first time riding any mud and I tried to avoid a puddle of unknown depth by straddling a small, rutted path. I was barely going above walking speed and the front washed out. I attempted to "run it out" on foot, but had too much momentum and ended up in a tumble.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think we have all done that. Sometimes it's just better go just go straight through the rut. This is especially true when there are ridges of ice on the road.
  14. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm used to it by now :jack

My first group ride EVER was with you. I dropped my bike (crashed) whatever a total of 5 times that day - still a record for me and it was on a route that I had ridden before without nearly so much "adventure". You were kind enough to only put one of the pics up for this newbie. I'm a big girl, I can take it.....lol.

Flashback to that day nearly 2 years ago:

https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3426.0
  15. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never seen a more accurate description.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I remember that ride well. Both Randy and I were very impressed with how you would fall down and just get back on the bike and continue riding like nothing happened. I also didn't think you would be ready to ride the TAT that summer but you proved me wrong. I'm still impressed.
    JRowland, Thinwater, norton73 and 3 others like this.
  17. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, my philosophy on that is that I can't help what is behind me on the road or in life, I can only use it to try to do better next time.

I usually replay it over in my mind to try to figure out what actually happened- later, like when I am home. It all happens so fast that I often can't really decide what happened first....lol. Usually, I can decipher it and come up with some form of "aha" moment of what I can do differently next time.

An example from 2 times that you were with us: In November 2019 I came into a Y intersection too hot and ended up low siding under a guard rail and broke my foot in 3 places. Yesterday at a Y intersection on pavement headed for more dirt, @jrm927 kicked his right leg out right as he made the Y ahead of me. It drew my attention to a car quickly approaching the intersection. I was able to slow down and go behind them instead of trying to make the turn at the last minute. It would have been really BAD if I had not had that experience to draw from. Had I not had it happen before, I would have tried to make that turn.

EXPERIENCE is a great teacher.

I'm so glad that the group rides that I have been in have been great sports about helping pick my bike, or me, up when I've gone down- without complaint. It really makes riding more enjoyable to share it with others with more, and even sometimes less experience. Motorcycle people are pretty awesome.
  18. wil2moto

wil2moto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Experience has to be earned. That’s why I am trying to get out more. Thank you Klaviator for hosting the ride. I learned a lot and enjoyed the day with new friends.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We have just had a few days of gorgeous weather. Tomorrow and the next few days will be wet. I should have gone for a real ride while the weather was so great but all I've done is some short rides around town. While not real exciting, it's still fun especially on a small scooter. Today I did three rides around town and a total of around 75 miles on the Like. My last ride was a trip to Wally World for some groceries. I timed it to hopefully get some interesting pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I try to make the ride as interesting as I can. Take the intersection above. I normally take a left at the light except I hate waiting at lights so I normally go straight through the light, pull into the center turn lane and whip a U turn, full throttle for a few seconds then on the brakes and 90 degrees right.

The upcoming weekend looks like a bust for riding but the long term forecast shows that the following weekend should be better. I'm already thinking about what kind of ride I should set up for that weekend:ricky:ricky
  20. Thinwater

Oddometer:
    Got new tires, it'll be a good weekend to get them on and down to midway to ballance. Already had my eye on new tires and had them picked out, mudfest inspired me to pull the trigger.