Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jrm927
    What do you use to be able to display your route in this post?
    klaviator likes this.
  2. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure its mine, I couldn't remember if I zero'd the odometer when I got gas at the meet point, evidently I did.
    klaviator likes this.
  3. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Yeah, locals have made a 2 track bypass on berm by the collapsed section of CR17. No issue for motorcycles.
    dp064 and klaviator like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode over 200 miles and I'm much closer to Gurley than you are. You must have zero'd your odo at the meet point.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  5. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would make it 38 more miles for a total of.......228
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  6. tobyone

tobyone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bucksnort
    Alabama 35747 not sure I have not seen a sign or really looked
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well I just couldn't live with the fact that I had never been to Bucksnort. That's even worse than never having been to the rock zoo!! So I headed out late this morning to rectify that huge discrepancy in my life experiences.
    I took Cecil Ashburn and some back roads to New Hope and then New Hope Hwy and Simpson Point Rd towards Bucksnort. Before I knew it I was in Grant. So I turned around on Simpson Point Rd and turned off on to Butler Mill Road. Butler Mill is a nice road with great pavement at that end. After a few miles the pavement went back to typical Alabama County Road.

[​IMG]

I stopped to take a pic of this church.

[​IMG]

I continued to the bridge over the Paint Rock River where a took everyone's pic the other day.

Since I was by myself I could stop and take all the time I wanted taking pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One for the "where's Waldo" thread.

[​IMG]

I took a break and ate a Granola bar for lunch.

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I plugged "Buck Snort" into google maps and it told me to go back to the end of Butler Mill Rd so that's what I did. It was just as nice of a ride going in the other direction, maybe nicer. This time I took some pics.

[​IMG]

There were still some leaves left on the trees and with the sun shining on them they almost looked like fall colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped and took a picture of Bucksnort. There was no sign or any thing but best as I can tell this is it:

[​IMG]
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed through Grant and then down to the Tennessee River/Lake Guntersville to check out some waterfront property and get some pics. My first stop was at a boat launch ramp.

[​IMG]

Then I took a residential loop.

[​IMG]

There were some really nice houses here as long as some dumpy places including a single wide trailer. I didn't get any good pics of the houses. Just another pic of the view.

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Wandered around some looking for scenic waterfront shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find some seriously high end waterfront homes but didn't get any pics. There's some people with serious money living in this area although I'm sure that waterfront property costs a lot less here than in many other states.

Another shot for the "where's Waldo" thread.

[​IMG]

I started riding back towards home but I must of taken a wrong turn because I ended up in Maggie Valley:eekers

[​IMG]

I rode towards Cathedral Caverns via a road we didn't ride on Saturday. Not a bad road but nothing spectacular either. I rode into Cathedral Caverns State Park but didn't stop or take any pics. After leaving the park I noticed a really new looking road heading up the hill. A road like that must go somewhere....right:scratch

So I rode up it. It ended and there was a gravel road going left and right. I turned right but soon came to a pretty steep hill.

[​IMG]

I'm sure my scooter could have made it up but I didn't feel like it so I turned around.

This was the paved road that I came up. The pavement ends right behind the scooter.

[​IMG]

After that I had an uneventful ride home. My total for the day was over 150 miles.
  11. tobyone

tobyone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To bad no sign to take pic of
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The residents there are missing a great opportunity. They could put up a big sign and sell T shirts and other souvineers.:D
  13. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely be in the market for that t-shirt! Thanks for leading the ride on Saturday. One of my highlights was chasing you up Keel mountain near the end. I'm already looking forward to the next one!
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I wish I had some artistic talent. I'd design a t shirt. Something like: "I slew the Buck. Tail of the Buck xx curves in x miles. Bucksnort, Alabama." Then put in a pic of a rider on his bike being menaced by a buck with a big rack.

Or something like that:lol3
  15. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Cool:thumb

But I was thinking of something really outlandish and overdone like the typical dragon T shirt they are selling these days:lol3

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    JRowland, dp064, Salth2ofish and 2 others like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    We’re getting close here. Really nice weather. We had about two to three weeks of shit winter. I love the lazy backroad shots. I could do that all day with a few good friends.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Took a short ride this evening to catch the sunset. It was OK but nothing spectacular.

[​IMG]
    ysrebob, zookster, B10Dave and 10 others like this.
  19. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Learning that you had spent some "cold" time just north of us, I am reminded of how good you've got it now, as it relates to weather. Where we used to live, which isn't that far from our new, downsized digs, this was a not-uncommon occurrence, sometimes clear into March.

[​IMG]

Thus, you know how much we appreciate your March, getting-out-early, posts. Thanks!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were talking just last night on how we never in our wildest dreams thought we would end up retiring in Alabama but now that we are here we love it and don't intend to move again. We were lucky to be able to live in many different states, 10 for me and even more for my wife. We are very glad for those experiences and it makes us appreciate were we live now. I lived in four states in the "Great White North". Ohio, Michigan, Maryland and Maine. The last three were with my wife. We both have very good memories of Maine. Yes the winters were long and somewhat cold but since we lived near the ocean it wasn't all that cold. I was able to get out and ride every winter month I was there. We also enjoyed going skiing. My son did 2nd - 5th grade there. He was at the perfect age to learn to ski and it was something we were able to do as a family. Maine was also were he learned to ride a motorcycle. We are really glad to have been able to live 4 years in your part of the country. My biggest regret from that time was that I didn't really take advantage of all the great photographic opportunities that part of the country has. Looking at all the pics in your thread really shows me what I missed. Someday I'd like to ride through New England again. This time I'll bring my camera and use it!

At least I did take a few pics with my cheap, 15 dollar camera while I was there and did go back and somewhat document my Maine experience here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-20#post-31120424

BTW, I also had a "Redhead" when I was there:

[​IMG]