Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I retired from New England to Tennessee. Won't be going back either. ('cept to visit) I plowed & shoveled snow in Northern CT for 22 winters as part of my job. I don't miss winters like that at all.
    It was a great place to grow up in the 50's, 60's & '70's, but it has changed drastically, and not for the better IMO
    Loving NE Tennessee. Reminds me of Northern VT without the winters or Bernie Sanders. :photog Hi John :wave
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all. If it hadn't been for the kids, we'd have followed you down.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that you posted this it jogged my memory. I lived in CT for about 2 1/2 years way back from 76-79. That was an interesting time in my life. It was before I bought my first motorcycle but it was the place that I bought my first motorcycle magazine. Little did I suspect what that would lead to:D
    CMS, zookster, Rusty Rocket and 7 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well we got white stuff down here too!

This was today.

[​IMG]

It was about 75 degrees so I really had to bundle up to get out there today:D
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I spend a fair amount of time reading other peoples ride reports. Although I came to ADV because of motorcycles I have found all kinds of other stuff on this forum. Some people (unlike me:D) actually have interests other than motorcycling and post that stuff on their threads. OK, I'm kidding, I do have some other interests outside of motorcycles......give me a few minutes and I'll think of something.:lol3

@popscycle has a thread where he photographs all kinds of mechanical things; cars, boats, planes, snowblowers:lol3, and of course trains. Although I did have a train set when I was young, it has never been a big item of interest for me. But reading @popscycle 's thread has given me a little more appreciation for them. It just so happens that there is a fairly active train depot of sorts just a few miles from my house. I've been riding and driving by it since I moved here but never stopped to really observe it or take any pics. I decided to do just that today.

This is the typical view I get when riding by on the main road.

[​IMG]

This is the Huntsville Intermodal center. Three types of transportation come together here; planes, trains and trucks. I rode around the back of this operation for a better view.

I noticed this Blackhawk helicopter here. Maybe they are FedExing it somewhere?

[​IMG]

The reason I came here.

[​IMG]

I'm not an expert on trains but I'm pretty sure these are designed to shuffle cars around the yard, not to haul them across the country.

That big yellow Rig? Well there are two of them. I'll show the other one in operation later.

[​IMG]

I rode towards a different vantage point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That yellow rig is a giant crane and it moves pretty past.

[​IMG]

I moved to another vantage point.

[​IMG]

The airport is right behind me. I used to work about a couple hundred yards from here but never took the time to observe this crane in operation.

The crane was moving containers from trucks to railroad cars and can also do the reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the plane part of the center, the worlds biggest cargo planes routinely fly in and out of Huntsville Intl. Airport. I have seen 747s, Antonovs, as well as military transports like C-17 fly in and out of here. I have heard them talking to ATC and they are normally headed for other continents. Occasionally I have been able to get a pic of these big planes with one of my bikes but there weren't any visible today.

That's it for now. I'm planning on heading out on my KLX tomorrow although I haven't figured out where yet.
  6. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You made out with those pics. Excellent!
  7. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lucky that Homeland Security didn't pick you up for questioning out there taking all those pics!:lol3
  8. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Those container crane operators are a skilled bunch.. it's amazing to see them work at a port loading ships.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was half expecting to be hassled. One time I was on the other side of the airport, outside the airport fence, and I stopped on the grass between the fence and the road to take a picture of the sunset which was in the direction away from the airport and a police car pulled up and told me I couldn't stop there. It's not like there was anything secret for me to photograph. Of course I guess it's possible they thought I had a stinger missile under the seat of my Like:lol3
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once upon a time, I rode my K75RT down to Alabama, planning to trade for an R100R the Cullman dealer had in stock. Stumbled across the ugliest motorcycle I'd ever seen, a '95 R1100GS, just like yours, sittin' next to the back wall of the shop. Asked if I could take a quick test ride while he was working on the paperwork for my trade. And rode that 'cosmetically challenged' red bike home . . .
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Are you calling my bike ugly:dirtdog

When pictures of the all new R1100GS first hit the magazines I thought "What a hideous bike", "Who's going to buy that"? It's amazing how our opinion of how something looks can change. By the time I bought it I really liked the way it looks. I had the same opinion of the 650 Versys when it was intruduced. "Who will buy something that ugly"? I guess the answer was me:lol3
    B10Dave, JRowland, Thinwater and 4 others like this.
  12. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That GS was a blast to ride, as I found out on my short test hop. Turned out to be a bargain too, having been returned to the dealer after only 2,000 miles because it had been running so rich the catalytic converter burned up. The customer got a new bike and BMW replaced the CAT and muffler and the shop "thought" they had fixed the intermittent mixture problem because it seemed to be running great. I liked it well enough to buy it at a $2,500 discount.

About half way home I stopped for a small town stop light and it would barely idle, sputtering and backfiring and jerking about. Pushed it off the street and found the right side throttle was not closing completely. Both sides would open together but sometimes the right would not close completely, creating great fueling imbalance at low throttle settings. Closer inspection revealed an Allen-head screw wedged behind the plate that held the throttle. It had been riding there, possibly from the factory, vibrating around and occasionally preventing the throttle butterfly from closing. Removed that screw and enjoyed "Big Red" for over 50,000 miles. My garage has not been without a GS of some variety to this day.
    B10Dave, JRowland, Thinwater and 4 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The seeds for me getting a GS were planted back in the 80s when I lived in San Diego. First, there was an older grey haired gentleman I often rode with who had an R100GS. He was blazing fast on that bike often embarrassing squids on sportbikes. Then there was a trip I took to Death Valley on my venture. I looked at the entrance to Titus Canyon and thought "that looks like fun. I wish I had a bike suitable for riding there." Then later I was crossing the Panamint mountains on a paved road in poor condition when the pavement ended and there was a frozen creek to cross:eekers. I crossed it on the Venture but wished for a more suitable bike. When I eventually replaced that Venture it was with the GS.
    B10Dave, JRowland, Thinwater and 5 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since I had no time or place or people to meet this morning I was pretty lazy and didn't get on the road until almost 10. It was pretty gloomy which made it harder for me to get motivated. I'm one of those people whose mood is affected by the weather.

I was so depressed this morning I just decided to park my bike here and wait for a train.

[​IMG]

Just kidding. There's a thread in photos for your bike on the tracks.

A lot of open fields have turned purple around here.

[​IMG]

I found a dirt road and i don't think I have been on it before!

[​IMG]

There were a lot of down trees on this road and they left a bunch of them hanging over the road. They just trimmed the branched to allow traffic underneath. One was low enough that I would probably have hit my head if standing on the pegs!

[​IMG]

I wandered around on some roads until I found another dirt road i hadn't been on before. Since I was by myself I could stop and take pics whenever i wanted.

[​IMG]

Or I could take pics on the go.

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I like pics with water and or bridges in them. I had plenty of opportunities today. This is Brushy Creek.

[​IMG]

Same bridge and creek from another vantage point.

[​IMG]

In case any of the locals haven't figured out where I went riding today this should clue them in.

[​IMG]

I had a burger and fries for lunch. It was in the low 70s so I ate outside. I was the only one there, everyone else was eating inside.

After lunch I went straight to jail........:eekers

[​IMG]

This place is across the street form the Chef Troy's.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was forecast to be cloudy all day but the sun was trying hard to break through.

[​IMG]

Another road I had never been on.

[​IMG]

It was a fun ride but dead ended. That just meant I got to ride it twice:ricky:ricky

Another bridge.

[​IMG]

And another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw a lot of powerline trails today but most had gates or signs. This one didn't so I checked it out.

[​IMG]

There where two trails but both dropped off pretty steep. I didn't want to tackle them by myself.

[​IMG]

I did a little exploring for the purpose of being able to lead a group ride here.

[​IMG]

But it was getting late so I headed for home.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    For those of you who haven't figured it out, I was riding around in the Bankhead National Forest. Most of my rides here have been following others in group rides. Most of the time I didn't know where I was. I have found that the best way for me to learn an area is to ride it by myself.

I also to a different route to and from Bankhead than what I have done in the past. It was actually a pretty interesting ride. On the way home I went rode right through Decatur and got a few interesting pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I parked right on the tracks again.

[​IMG]

I really had to be quick to get the next pic. I stopped the bike, jumped off, turned on the camera and snapped this one.

[​IMG]

That was the last pic. I got home with just over 200 miles on the Odometer.
  18. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spring is popping for you. Still no color here. I love the green water. :thumb
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Definitely felt like spring yesterday with a high in the low 80s!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't normally quote myself but there is an interesting story about this one that I took on my last group ride. I Also posted this on the Motorcycle Alabama Forum and got this response:

"A good friend of mine owns the long chicken house about to loose the roof. There were 2, but one was demolished to put in the solar farm. He went in the machine shop business just on the other side of the house beside the chicken house.

The chicken houses are 500 feet long and each house housed 70,000 chickens. They produced 10,000 dozen eggs a day. I manned the house 5 days a week 26 years ago. I stacked the eggs, repaired equipment, removed the dead chickens and hauled the chicken litter to fields around the mountain. Sandy hated the days I hauled the litter. lol"

There are a lot of old buildings out there. Sometimes they are interesting enough to take a picture of but I seldom think about the fact that they all have a story. At one time those buildings weren't old and run down. People lived or worked in them. In the middle Tennessee tag game someone posted a small country church which wasn't abandoned but was old. Someone saw that pic and mentioned that was the church he attended, was married in and the community he grew up in.

All of this just reinforces my opinion that "it's a small world".