Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last week I came down with what I thought was a bad cold. I went and got tested, negative for Covid and negative for the flu, positive for the Bubonic Plague:yikes

OK, not really. It was just a bad cold. I'm still not over it but I felt good enough today to go for a short ride. I rode around 20 miles. I was pretty tired by the time I got back but it felt so good to be out riding:p3rry

Everything is blooming around here.

[​IMG]

I went and grabbed the theme tag for the Motorcycle Alabama Forum.

[​IMG]

The new tag:

[​IMG]

After taking this pic I noticed that there was a bridge here. I have been riding over this bridge nearly 10 years and never noticed that it was actually a bridge:dunno

So I took a pic.

[​IMG]

I rode on. I wasn't exactly riding the dragon but there are enough curves to have a little fun and of course every stop sign and traffic light gives me the chance to do some "full throttle touring".

This road has a 50 MPH speed limit so I can run through here pretty close to full throttle and not be too much over the limit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I'm still trying to decide on going to Tellico this weekend but between this cold and a pretty crappy weather forecast it's not looking good.:(
    Chillis, Stubanger, B10Dave and 17 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you're out and about making pictures again. Scoots should not be in the garage pining for the roads. :D
    Chillis, B10Dave, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  3. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your cold. Glad you shared those nice pics with us. Short rides are good for the soul.
    Chillis, B10Dave, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Riders shouldn't be sitting in their lazy boys watching re runs when the weather is nice and their bikes are sitting in the garage ready to go. Unfortunately that's what I have been doing the last week. I'm hoping to change that soon but I think it may be a few more days before I'm over this cold.

Thanks. Short rides is one area where small scooters really excel. My little Kymco, (and my previous Kymco) just make short rides around town way more fun than they should be.
    Chillis, JRowland, 2372ighost and 5 others like this.
  5. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of us were wondering what had happened since you have been very quite for a few days. Glad you are back and on the mend. Maybe Tellico next weekend?
  6. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a short test ride on my little Riva. It is a whole different kind of fun for sure than the Reflex. 4D22F1B3-BF10-4731-B153-7408EAA14775.jpeg
    Chillis, Stubanger, chethro and 9 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm out for Tellico this weekend. Tellico the following weekend is a possibility but if I don't do that then I'll do a local ride.

Dualsporting the Free State is the following weekend Tony. You should come down for that. It's always a great time: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4070.0
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Back in the 80s I had the chance to ride a couple of Rivas. I rented a Riva 125 in Hawaii and had an absolute blast. I also did a test ride on a Riva 180 or 200 at a dealer. We were looking for a bike for my wife and considered a scooter but ended up with a motorcycle.

I have also ridden a Reflex. Despite being "only" 250cc its more of a maxi scooter while the Riva is a traditional scooter with 10" wheels so it would certainly be a very different experience. I'm glad you are having fun on it!
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was a day filled with rain, thunderstorms and even tornadoes in some parts of Alabama although the violent weather missed the part of the state I live in. Tomorrow may be more of the same but today.....today was a beautiful spring day. I got out on the Like to get groceries and even took my camera to capture the spring here but didn't see anything worth taking a pic of. At least I had some fun riding:ricky

As the sun was getting close to setting I decided it was time to do some Full Throttle Touring and chase that sun:ricky:ricky

What's the speed limit on this road? I have no idea but I had a whopping 13 horsepower and I wasn't afraid to use it:D

[​IMG]

I was a man on a mission. Make to to the river before the sun went down. I had my wingman backing me up.

[​IMG]

I was preparing to fire a sidewinder at the slow moving vehicle blocking my way but it turned off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh Oh! It's getting away from me!

[​IMG]

I twist the throttle harder and I start to catch it:ricky

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm headed towards the river now.

[​IMG]

Pavement gives way to gravel. Despite 12 inch wheels and limited suspension the Like feels right at home here.

[​IMG]

It actually feels better if I keep the speed up and just dodge the bigger potholes. Most of my normal spots are filled by the cars of the numerous fisherman out here tonight. I find a vacant spot.

[​IMG]

I hung out a bit but it didn't look there would be anything special to take pics of tonight. On top of that the mosquitoes were attacking me so I headed back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was it for today. I was hoping to do some riding this upcoming weekend but I just found my SIL and BIL are coming this weekend so I that kills that idea but I may get out for a ride on Friday.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics anyway Win; even if there are no clouds to provide color and contrast.
    Chillis, chethro, Thinwater and 5 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The most important thing was that I had an excuse to get out and ride:p3rry
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day today but I've been procrastinating checking the valves on the Like for way too long so I finally put her on the lift and did it today.

[​IMG]

Checking the valves is easy but getting the plastic off and back on is a PITA. By the manual I should have checked the valves again at 5,000 miles. I was only at 11,539 so not too far over:D

The exhausts had tightened up and the intakes loosened slightly. I adjusted the exhaust valves to the loose side and put the intakes exactly were they should be.

[​IMG]

I figure I should be good for another 10K miles.

While I was in there I changed the plug and figured out a way to zip tie the cap to the motor. Hopefully that will stop it from falling off.

[​IMG]

I ordered a new rear tire at Midway a couple of weeks ago. I'll be getting that mounted before going to Tellico in May. The Pirelli angel on the rear is down to the wear bars at 4400 miles. I'm going back to a Michelin City Grip. I got 5400 miles out of the last one and it rode smoother than the Pirelli.
    Chillis, B10Dave, zookster and 12 others like this.
  14. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who mounts your tires?
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I buy my street tires and get them mounted at Midway Cycles. They have good prices on the tires and mount and balance if I bring the wheel in is normally $25.

I buy Dual Sport tires online and mount and balance them myself.
    Chillis, Salth2ofish, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was out taking a walk with my wife and my dog when I noticed that the sun was peeking out beneath the clouds to the west. Any excuse for a ride so I threw on my gear and headed out.

[​IMG]

Stopped to take this pic with the sun behind me. The Huntsville airport is in the background.

[​IMG]

Looking west.

[​IMG]

I took a bunch of sunset pics. None were really great. This one was probably the best.

[​IMG]

I stopped to get a pic of this lake. It's normally a farm field but we got a lot of rain earlier in the day.

[​IMG]

Another Lake. This one is normally a lake.

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I think I have mentioned before that I'm really glad to be living here in North Alabama. I had an experience this morning that just confirmed that.

I got a phone call from the Decatur Hospital asking if I still needed the Covid vaccine. I said yes. So the lady started taking my information. She asked things like reactions to previous vaccines, address, emergency contact, all the typical stuff until she asked "do you ride a motorcycle?"

Whaaaaaat????

So I said yes and she asked if I knew her husband Tim XXXXXX?

"yes I do"

She said she was Tim's wife and she thought she recognized my name. I met Tim as well as his wife years ago through the Bamarides forum. We rode together a number of times and we even had them over for dinner once. Tim stopped riding years ago and I haven't seen him since that time.

I tell people that my wife and I made more friends in the first year we lived in Huntsville than we did in 11 years in the Atlanta area. We live in Huntsville, not Decatur but Decatur is close enough that we got on the list there as well as the list in Huntsville. It confirms my idea that it's a small world, especially if you are in the motorcycle community.

I have had a number of these "small world" experiences but it still blows my mind when it happens.
    Chillis, Samspade, Stubanger and 17 others like this.
  18. Raptorman

Raptorman Retired Raptor Keeper

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to clarify that it was klaviator that had the flat while riding "my" bike so he's actually had a flat in Wheeler. Just sayin. :ricky
  19. strommonster

strommonster Dan Jerry racing team

Oddometer:
    Happy Easter, Mr. Klaviator!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks and the same to you!