Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back on the road. I took some shots on the go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up in the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. We were going dual sport riding after all:ricky:ricky We stopped for some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed down the gravel road along the Tennessee River. This road is easy on a dual sport bike but on a scooter it helps to avoid the bigger potholes. It was very colorful with all the yellow flowers. We stopped to take some pics towards the river but that would be facing the sun. Rudy suggested shooting the other way so I moved the Like to get it in the picture.

[​IMG]

Then we rode to another spot.

[​IMG]

I took a bunch of pics with my Sony but they were crap compared to the Olympus pics.

[​IMG]

Then we headed back out the way we came.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our next stop was historic Mooresville.

I took this pic with the Sony.

[​IMG]

And this with the Olympus.

[​IMG]

More Olympus pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mooresville is a tiny town, just a few blocks. We rode up and down the streets. At the end of one of the streets is a dirt road into the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. Around 9 or 10 years ago I rode down that road on my Super 8. Since then I have tried to ride it again but the gate was always closed. Today it was open so it was time for some adventure riding to check it out.

We came to the end of the road. Actually it looked like it continued when the water was lower.

[​IMG]

One of the few Sony shots worth posting.

[​IMG]

Some shots on the way back out.

[​IMG]

Rudy said he was impressed where we could go on these scooters.

[​IMG]

We stopped for some more pics of Mooresville.

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode around Mooresville some more. We decided to try some action shots since I had some issues with that on the Bankhead ride with many of my shots turning out blurry.

Here Rudy is explaining the process to me.

[​IMG]

Then he turned around and headed down the road so he could do another U turn and come riding by so I could get a pic at the spot he was at but this time he would be in motion.

That was the plan.

Remember what Forest Gump said?

You remember right??

SHIT HAPPENS!!

As Rudy was making his U turn the Like died:(

This has happened to me a few times recently but mostly it was just a brief power loss of a second or less. A couple of times it died but restarted and got me home. This time it didn't want to re start. It would crank but the fuel pump was not running. Maybe it would start if we waited a bit.

Rudy got a shot of me on the Majesty.

[​IMG]

The Like still wouldn't start:dirtdog

Time for me to ride home and get the truck. It was only 12 miles to my house. When I got back Rudy said that the scooter had started just a couple of minutes ago. He followed me home. It saved us from having to load the scooter in the truck but it would be much easier to troubleshoot if it just stayed dead! I'm thinking it's a fuel pump going bad but it could be some other electrical issue. I'll call Max Motorsports and see if Mathew has any ideas.
  6. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Very nice, I really like the flower shot of both bikes with the water in the background! :thumb
  7. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful stuff Win!

Glad to see Rudy on the twist-n-go.
  8. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need a loaner, just give me a shout.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got a call from Rudy this morning. He forgot his cap in the under seat storage on the Like. He swung by and picked it up on his way back to California. I took the opportunity to get a pic of him by his rig.

[​IMG]

He has all his camping gear well organized in the bed of his truck. I've been thinking of getting a hitch carrier and doing the same thing. Well, not exactly the same because I will never be that well organized:D While I would prefer to stay in motels, traveling this way is much easier on the wallet.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Two days of riding, two days of bike issues. Yes it would have been better if they hadn't happened but I still thoroughly enjoyed those days. While I love my bikes and I love to ride, the people who I have had the pleasure to meet through riding over the years are just as important to me as the bikes and the riding. It was a real pleasure to meet Rudy and spend some time with him, even if some of that time was spent broke down on the side of the road. We would never have met if not for this forum. Rudy had read my You only live twice thread some time ago. Because of my time in San Diego all those years ago I checked out the thread he was doing in SoCal a few years ago. Soon we were "talking" on each others threads. It was great to finally get together. I am looking forward to when, not if, we get together in the future again. Next time may be out west or maybe somewhere here in the Southeast, hopefully both.

If you want to check out Rudy's great photography, videos and ride report, his latest thread is here.

So Rudy, have a safe and pleasant drive home. It was an honor and a pleasure to meet, ride and spend some time with you. Thanks for all the photography tips! Looking forward to our next meeting.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam. I think Rudy enjoyed his time on the scooter but for the riding he prefers to do I think he'll be sticking to motorcycles for the time being.........but who knows, the scooter virus is pretty infectious:D
    Stubanger, B10Dave, Chillis and 6 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the generous offer Randy. I do have four bikes, three of which are running well so I'm good to go. BTW, Steve will be in town the next few days. We'll do some kind of ride tomorrow if you want to join us. Saturday we'll be heading to the Bike Shop for Gymkhana if it doesn't get rained out.
  13. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Win, it was good to finally meet you... along with Debbi, and your Mom... she was a hoot. She reminded me of Mrs. B8’s gramma.

Thanks for the hospitality and for showing me around your home turf... although we had challenges I still enjoyed my time riding around Huntsville. Next time I’ll make sure to bring an up-armored bike for the trails. :lol3

Whenever you head west to meet us West Coasters and re-visit your old stomping grounds - give us a holler and we’ll ride with ya’....

:beer
  14. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..are you planning a dual sport ride or staying on the street?
    Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We'll be on scooters.
    Chillis, dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  16. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Since when has that ever stopped you from hitting the dirt? :evil
    Rusty Rocket, Chillis and dp064 like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good point:lol3
  18. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you guys plan to head north and you don't mind it turning into a group ride, let me know.. supposed to be overcast and 70 tomorrow.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We're staying in Alabama.
    Chillis and dp064 like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve @Raptorman is visiting for a few days. He came to participate in the Gymkhana tomorrow but the weather forecast is not looking good. The forecast for today was cloudy but it turned out to be a real nice day. We took advantage of it by going for a ride. Our first stop was to check out this Antonov.

[​IMG]

I took this next one with my Sony but even with the saturation turned up it still doesn't show the colors as well as the Olympus.

[​IMG]

Another one with the Olympus.

[​IMG]

We stopped to terrorize the customers at the local Harley dealer with our mighty scooters:lol3

[​IMG]

Some back road riding.

[​IMG]

Crossing the Tennessee River into Decatur.

[​IMG]