Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam. I think Rudy enjoyed his time on the scooter but for the riding he prefers to do I think he'll be sticking to motorcycles for the time being.........but who knows, the scooter virus is pretty infectious:D
    Stubanger, B10Dave, Chillis and 6 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the generous offer Randy. I do have four bikes, three of which are running well so I'm good to go. BTW, Steve will be in town the next few days. We'll do some kind of ride tomorrow if you want to join us. Saturday we'll be heading to the Bike Shop for Gymkhana if it doesn't get rained out.
  3. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win, it was good to finally meet you... along with Debbi, and your Mom... she was a hoot. She reminded me of Mrs. B8’s gramma.

Thanks for the hospitality and for showing me around your home turf... although we had challenges I still enjoyed my time riding around Huntsville. Next time I’ll make sure to bring an up-armored bike for the trails. :lol3

Whenever you head west to meet us West Coasters and re-visit your old stomping grounds - give us a holler and we’ll ride with ya’....

:beer
  4. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ..are you planning a dual sport ride or staying on the street?
    Chillis and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We'll be on scooters.
    Chillis, dp064 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Since when has that ever stopped you from hitting the dirt? :evil
    Rusty Rocket, Chillis and dp064 like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Good point:lol3
  8. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you guys plan to head north and you don't mind it turning into a group ride, let me know.. supposed to be overcast and 70 tomorrow.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We're staying in Alabama.
    Chillis and dp064 like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve @Raptorman is visiting for a few days. He came to participate in the Gymkhana tomorrow but the weather forecast is not looking good. The forecast for today was cloudy but it turned out to be a real nice day. We took advantage of it by going for a ride. Our first stop was to check out this Antonov.

[​IMG]

I took this next one with my Sony but even with the saturation turned up it still doesn't show the colors as well as the Olympus.

[​IMG]

Another one with the Olympus.

[​IMG]

We stopped to terrorize the customers at the local Harley dealer with our mighty scooters:lol3

[​IMG]

Some back road riding.

[​IMG]

Crossing the Tennessee River into Decatur.

[​IMG]
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped at Allsport. Their inventory was about half what it normally was before Covid, maybe less than half.

[​IMG]

We check out various bikes and talked to the owner for a while.

We were getting hungry so we stopped for lunch.

[​IMG]

I had never eaten here before but it turned out to be very good.:dukegirl

Then we wandered around Southwest of Decatur. I have not done much exploring in that area and there were some roads that looked interesting on the map. We rode around Lake Chula Vista. It was a small private lake.

[​IMG]

The road around it was fairly twisty and fun on the scooters but I wouldn't consider it a sportbike road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the name of the lake interesting because I used to live in Chula Vista, CA.
  12. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That 2nd from the bottom road shot made me pine for the pines and perhaps drool a little.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the lake we wandered around for a while, lost much of the time:D There were some nice roads but nothing spectacular. Probably the best road was named "Mud Tavern" road. Unfortunately we were stuck behind a car most of the way and didn't enjoy it as much as we could have. I took a bunch of pics but won't bore you with all of them. Here's one.

[​IMG]

It was still pretty early so I headed towards Bankhead. I was trying to find a more interesting route than what I have been doing. I don't think there is any way to get there without riding some straight and boring roads. We stopped at the warrior trading post to take a break and get gas. While Steve was getting gas I checked to see what the scooter tag on ADV was. It was flowers. That was easy. He rolled his bike about 40 feet and:

[​IMG]

It was a crappy cell phone pic but I could post it right away. Then the new tag was looking the other way. I'll post a pic from my camera rather than the phone pic I posted as the tag.

[​IMG]

We hung out a bit at the picnic table to the right of the scooters. Then we headed up 33 which has some great sweepers as it climbs up into the Bankhead Forest:ricky:ricky.

We stopped at the McDougal hunters camp where we had the dual sport event a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You all had a great day for a ride!!
    Chillis, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  15. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the performance exhaust on Steve's scoot!
    Chillis, Salth2ofish, chethro and 3 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After stopping at McDougal we headed back North on 33 and then right on Leola Rd which also has a lot of nice curves. Then it was some bumpy county roads to 36 then Danville Rd which we rode into Decatur. There were lots of fields of yellow flowers.

[​IMG]

That reminds me of something. When we got into Decatur there was heavy rush hour traffic. Steve would often line up next to me and then smoke me off the line. His 250cc Vespa was just quicker off the line than my much heavier 400cc Majesty. And of course every time I'd hear that Akropovic exhaust pulling away.

After Decatur we went by the Decatur Airport since we wanted to avoid the interstate. We saw an interesting very small jet landing there which I need to research to figure out what it was.

We stopped in Mooresville since Steve had never been there before. I took a few pics.

[​IMG]

I think this next one came out better than the one I took a couple of days ago. The lighting was just better.

[​IMG]

And one with Steve and "Bella".

[​IMG]

One more pic in Mooresville.

[​IMG]

After that it was another 12 miles to my house for a total of just under 150 for the day.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The plan for today was to haul our scooters down to Leeds for Gymkhana but the weather forecast was for a very high chance of rain and thunderstorms pretty much all day with a warning for strong storms. This morning it was raining with an improved but still crappy forecast. We decided not to go. A couple of hours later it stopped raining here and the forecast for Leeds had improved so I changed my mind. We quickly loaded the Like in my Truck and headed South. We decided not to attach the trailer and also haul Steve's Vespa down. We would take turns on the Like.

After we got there Steve quickly got offers to ride some other bikes. It didn't take long for us to get out on the course. Steve started out on a Grom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve did real well especially considering this was his first Gymkhana. If it looks like this is just an MSF parking lot drill, it isn't. It may start out that way when you first get on the course but it doesn't take long before you are pushing it and going as fast as you can:ricky:ricky

We took a break for lunch. They had a food truck there.

[​IMG]

My scooter wasn't the only one there. @maydaymike had his Vespa GTS there.

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed over to the course to get some pics.

[​IMG]

@Thinwater was chasing a CRF250 supermoto around the course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve on my Like150i.

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Kris on her Grom.

[​IMG]

Kris graciously offered here Grom to Steve and me so we could ride at the same time. I did a few laps on the Like than Switched to the Grom which felt awkward for a couple of laps until I got used to it. Then I switched back to the like and it felt awkward:scratch

Hopefully someone took some pics of me but until then, more pics of Kris.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Gymkhana is set up by The Bike Shop in Leeds. The get a permit from the city to close off one block of a street and set up the course on the street and a parking lot next to it.

On this next pic I timed it perfectly so it looks like Kris is blowing a big bubble with some bright red chewing gum:lol3

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    @Thinwater was really throwing around his Himalayan.

[​IMG]

Steve on my Like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]