Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Steve took @maydaymike 's GTS for a short ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chillis, JRowland, B10Dave and 13 others like this.
  2. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and thinwater can feel it this morning. That was more of a workout than I expected.
    Chillis, JRowland, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve said the same thing. Riding around those cones is quite a workout. It's easier on a tiny bike like my scooter but it's still a pretty intense riding experience. It's like being on a racetrack in that nothing is holding you back from going faster except the limitations of your bike and your riding skills. The difference is that the speeds are much slower and screwing up at 15 MPH is much less hazardous to your health than screwing up at 100 MPH.
  4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win... a belated Happy Birthday since I was on the road back to SoCal... :drums :strum
    Chillis, Thinwater, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rudy! Are you back home now?
    Chillis, Thinwater, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes... I made it home last night...
    Chillis, Thinwater, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I wasn't the only one taking Pics. @FenceJumper09 took some great pics with his DSLR. Here's some he took of me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture of the day IMO was this one he took of @ohgood who had his daughter on the back.

[​IMG]

Thanks David for taking these pics!!
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Towards the end of our time at Gymkhana my Like started dieing.:( It did it a few times right in the middle of a tight turn. On a bigger, heavier bike that could have led to a fall but the Like was light enough for me to catch it. After a bit of talking with the other riders there we loaded up the Like and headed for home. On the way home on I-65 between Cullman and Hartselle we drove into one of the worst thunderstorms I have been it. All of the cars pulled off the road or slowed way down. Besides a torrential downpour there was Marble sized hail. A few minutes after stopping it lightened up a little and we drove through it at about 20MPH. I was glad to not be riding!

On the outskirts of Huntsville we saw this and stopped and took a pic.

[​IMG]
    jon_l, Chillis, BHlvr and 16 others like this.
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That course really looks fun Win.. (on a smaller bike)
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was! There are some really good riders out there who can get through those courses on big Harleys and Goldwings. I was at a Gymkhana several years ago and a friend let me try it on a big Kawasaki Nomad. I rode it around the parking lot a few times and decided there was no way I would make it through more than about 2 cones.

You would love it on your Monkey Bike!
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I talked to the Scooter Guru at Max Motorsports about the issues with my Like stalling. I'll be taking it down there for him to troubleshoot later this week. Since it is an intermittent problem it could take a while to figure out. On top of that I'm sure he is busy with a lot of other bikes. I doubt that I will have it back in time for Monkees and Minis in Tellico. My plan now is to still go to Tellico at that time, 6-8 May but take my KLX and do some dual sport riding in the area. I will try to stop by and meet the guys on the tiny bikes but won't be riding with them. So, @2372ighost , bring the Brozz instead of the Benelli. @tonymarchman , I know you were interested as well. Steve will be there on his KLX250.

Depending on the weather I may go there a day or two early.
    Chillis, 2372ighost, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The weather is looking great for Saturday. I expect to set up a ride unless someone else beats me to it. Most likely it will be a Dual sport ride. Stay tuned.........
    Chillis, 2372ighost, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Dual Sport/adventure ride on Saturday, May 1st. I have posted this in the regional forum and Motorcycle Alabama. We will depart the Shell station in Ardmore at 9:30. The route will be what I was planning on doing last week with @black 8 . Most likely there won't be anything new from our previous rides, just a lot of my old favorites. It's been a while since I rode them.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rear Pirelli Angel on my Like was past the wear bars so it was time for a change.

[​IMG]

It's a Michelin City Grip 2. It was a bit pricey for a 12" scooter tire but the Pirelli only lasted 4562 miles so I went back to Michelin. My last City Grip lasted around 5400 miles and rode smoother than the Pirelli.

It looks like there will be a good turnout for tomorrow's Dual Sport ride. I posted it on ADV and Motorcycle Alabama as I usually do and also put it on the North Alabama Dual Sport Facebook page. I'm not a big Facebook fan but thought I'd give it a try for at least one ride. I wouldn't be surprised with 10+ tomorrow.

Another event just added to my schedule is a Motorcycle Alabama Flash mob on Sunday at 4. I'm not sure where the flash mob name came from since it's just a get together a a restaurant. It's a great way to meet and spend time with other local riders. If anyone local is interested the details are here: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=4165.msg36877#new
    Chillis, dp064, chethro and 7 others like this.
  15. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hate that I’ll miss this but I’m in Knoxville riding this weekend. The CRF might need tires next week.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed out this morning around 8 and rode to Ardmore to meet whoever else was coming to this ride. My plan was to ride the route that @black 8 and I started but didn't finish over a week ago. I expected a good turnout and we ended up with a group of 10 riders.

[​IMG]

We had an interesting assortment of bikes today. We had 4 "cheap China Bikes". They may be inexpensive but that all worked pretty well for the riding we did today. Then we had 2 Himalayans, my KLX250, a Yamaha T7, a MG V85TT, and a KTM1290.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had several riders who hadn't met or ridden with us before so we had plenty to talk about. Eventually we got on the road and started out on some paved country roads. We rode through the 2 railroad tunnels but didn't stop to take pics. This over the shoulder shot will have to do.

[​IMG]

Sometimes we have groups that are comfortable riding the same pace and sometimes we don't. Today we didn't and got pretty strung out between turns. That's OK, as I tell everyone at the riders brief I'd rather wait 30 seconds or a minute at turns than wait an hour or more for an ambulance and tow truck. It also gave me some opportunities to take some pics.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, 2372ighost, Chillis and 8 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was pretty much a perfect day to go riding. It was a bit chilly early in the morning but in the 70s for most of the ride. Yellow flowers were blooming everywhere creating yellow fields everywhere. Every time I saw a bright yellow field I felt I had to take a pic. I won't bore you with posting all of them.

Here's the "fast" group waiting at a stop.

[​IMG]

Two of the bikes in this group were the "cheap China bikes". @Thinwater on his Himalayan would have been up with us but he volunteered to ride sweep.

[​IMG]

If you are wondering why the fast group was mostly "slow" bikes, these roads are much more curvy, hilly and technical than my pics show. It's all about rider experience and skill on these roads.

We were briefly on a well maintained road with some fast sweepers.

[​IMG]

From that road we turned onto Van Zandt road, the site of Rudy's encounter with the rock. Unfortunately the beginning of the road had been freshly graveled so it wasn't as much fun as it was last time. Luckily they only graveled the first part so it was fun. There were several muddy areas which didn't bother me but the big KTM had street tires:muutt

When I got to the end of the road there was no one behind me:eekers

I took a pic of my bike and the creek beside the road as I waited.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, 2372ighost, Chillis and 11 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Soon the other riders started show up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone had made it through although one bike had been dropped in a mudhole:muutt I won't mention any names except to say it was the best looking bike in the group!

Then it was off to another dirt/gravel road followed by some really nice paved roads.

Did I mention there were fields of yellow everywhere?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, 2372ighost, Chillis and 12 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some Dual Sport riders consider pavement as a necessary evil to get to the dirt but I enjoy both the pavement as well as the dirt portions of the ride. We rode some fun, curvy and scenic paved roads today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really enjoy what I call "paved goat trails", roads that are narrow, have no paint on them, are sometimes rougher than the gravel roads, and the curvier and hillier the better:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped to take a break on what is probably my favorite paved goat trail. Even the name of the road shouts "goat trail". the name of the road? Ebenezer Hollow road.

I got a pics of some of the riders from the place we stopped.

@tonymarchman on his new bike which he got for 800 bucks. It was brand new but had been damaged in shipping.

[​IMG]

More of the group.

[​IMG]

Taking a break.

[​IMG]

Another of the China bikes. They all use a Honda clone 230cc engine but are made by different manufacturers. This one was a Tao Tao.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]