Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taking the opportunity to shoot some pics while waiting for the slower riders.

[​IMG]

Here comes Tony.

[​IMG]

On a fairly main road with actual paint on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Soon we turned onto another of my favorite paved goat trails. I was too busy riding to get any pics until the end of the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then off to some more goat trails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Another railroad tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the things i like about the paved goat trails is there is very little traffic on them. Unfortunately we got stuck behind a truck on one of them. It took some of the fun out of the ride but did allow me to get some pics I probably wouldn't have gotten at a faster pace.

[​IMG]

The slow pace is why we were so close together.

[​IMG]

We stopped for gas and two riders headed for home leaving 8 of us heading for our next stop which would be lunch.

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Had everyone been riding the same speed I would never have been able to take some of the pics I got today including this next one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch was at the 31 BBQ outside of Lynnville. After surviving all the dirt roads and goat trails Bruce picked this spot to drop his T7.

[​IMG]

We would be good candidates to work on a road construction crew:lol3

[​IMG]

Actually, Bruce wanted to see if he could pick it up by himself. He did it!

Time for lunch.

[​IMG]

The food and service were very good.
  5. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:

We call those highways in WV. :D
    jon_l, popscycle, old1959 and 8 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch two more riders headed home leaving us with six. We rode some scenic paved roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode Van Zandt road again going in the opposite direction. This time Stephen and I rode ahead. He set up to shoot some video and I found a spot to take pics.

Rich and Nate. You can barely see Rich because he was doing everything he could to not get any mud on his bike:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't had the chance to get out and practice using the manual modes on my camera so I left it in auto. Sometimes it focused correctly and sometimes it didn't.

Greg on his Himalayan. Greg rode 130 miles each way just to get to this ride!

[​IMG]

Tony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stephen.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rest of the ride was the reverse of what we rode in the morning. When we got to the first railroad tunnel there was a train going by so I stopped and tried to get a pic but the sunlight was all wrong. This was the best of the pics.

[​IMG]

The sunlight was better looking back on an over the shoulder shot.

[​IMG]

I'll bet you are wondering how I did the special effects on this next pic.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering too:lol3

[​IMG]

When we got back to the Shell station we hung out for a while. Tony's 800 dollar bike.

[​IMG]

Eventually everyone headed for home. My odo showed just under 140 miles for the group ride. My total for the day was 206 miles.
    jon_l, Ginger Beard, old1959 and 17 others like this.
  8. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a beautiful day for a ride and a great route! Sorry I missed it, but had to run to Atlanta and back for soccer. I'm trying to figure out which was "the best looking bike" as the T7 and 1290 have some competition in that category....
    JRowland, 2372ighost and klaviator like this.
  9. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear brake peddle was the only damaged item when my bike decided to roll around in the mud. Good news is the engine guards do a great job of protecting the bike. Good job Moto Guzzi. I've been tempting fate and traveling faster than I should off-road with street tires lately, so it was just a matter of time.

[​IMG]
  10. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can attest to the twisty roads/trails and rolling terrain... I just wish the rock strike hadn't ended our ride so soon... :(

Ludicrous Speed... :jack

actually a slow shutter speed of 1/25th of a second when you snapped the pic as compared to 1/125th on your next photo outside the tunnel... (I looked at the photo exif data in your pics)

Untitled.png

you probably half pressed to focus inside the tunnel (locking in 1/25th shutter speed to compensate for the low light) and fully depressed the shutter once you were out of the tunnel... the slower speed allows the shutter to remain open longer causing a sense of movement in that short amount of time... that's what I was trying to teach you right before the Like died on us practicing panning shot... it takes a lot practice... but when you get it down.. you'll get good results...

I got about 10 of these bad panning shots before I finally nailed it...
    1.jpg

another misfire but getting closer, the subject is still a bit blurry...
    2.jpg

nailed this panning shot at 1/30th of a second so I could show a sense motion...
    3.jpg

I was able to get this action shot (stop motion) by bumping the shutter speed to 1/800th of a second...
    4.jpg

the same techniques can be applied on your dual sport rides once you get it down pat... it's a perishable skill so lots of practice is needed...
    DSC_4218.jpeg

sorry for the hijack... too bad about the bike issues on both days... I wish we could have practiced more photo shoots together instead...

again thanks for showing me around Ardmore and WNWR...

back to the regular programming...

11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation Rudy. I assumed that the blur was due to the fact that the road was rough at the tunnel exit and I was bouncing around when I took the pic. I did have the camera in position in the tunnel and maybe I did half depress the button. It was probably a combination of slower shutter speed combined with bouncing around. The thing with over the shoulder shots is that they are tough to get right and a lot of them just don't come out. In this case I think the psychedelic effect is pretty cool. I was more upset with the blurry shots at the mud puddle towards the end of the ride.
    Chillis, B10Dave, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like looking at fellow inmate's exif data when I see a photo I like. It helps me understand what manual camera settings I need to get the desired outcome I want...
    Chillis, B10Dave, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday preparing for my next trip. I did stuff around the house, mowed the lawn, paid bills, etc. More importantly I started to get my stuff together, camping gear and riding gear. I changed the oil in the KLX and put a new tire on the front. The back tire will need changing when I get back. I am going with Dunlop 605s, the same tires that came on the bike. I am happy with how these tires have performed and they are less than 100 bucks for a set:-)

The plan is to head to Tellico on Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday morning depending on the weather. I'll be joined by @Raptorman and @2372ighost and maybe one or two others. We'll be staying at CMTC. I plan on riding to Deal's Gap on Thursday and seeing how the KLX does in the sportbike mode. We'll come back to camp via the Gravohala Skyway. Friday and Saturday will be dual Sport rides around Tellico. I'd also like to meet the riders there for Monkees and Minis. My original plan was to attend that event on my Like but I need to get it fixed first.
  14. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from there. There was a lot of fresh gravel on the roads we took. Wish I could tell you what they were but I had no idea where I was as usual. I’d request permission to tag along but I’m on another ten day trip a week from Friday. My CRF was as fast as my VFR on the Dragon. That was on worn 244’s.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    And I'll bet it was a lot less work to ride it there as well.
  16. Foiler

Foiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great looking scenery. Being in Phoenix I am wondering what all of that green stuff is? :rofl
    jon_l, Ginger Beard, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  17. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did over 300 miles on Sunday. Goat trails, loose gravel with a finish of 28, 129, and Foothills from Franklin back to Knoxville. The pace was stupid. This was my friends comment about the day. It was a huge compliment coming from him.
    IMG_8299.png
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    OK, we'll be calling you sleeper from now on. Just don't fall asleep on one of my rides:lol3
    Chillis, Thinwater, JRowland and 5 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Just head North a little ways in Arizona and you'll find some green stuff there as well.

[​IMG]
    Foiler, Stubanger, chethro and 8 others like this.
  20. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Does your camera have the ability to narrow down the available autofocus points? My DSLR had different modes that let you utilize all 64 points, a mode that splits them into 3 sections, a group of 4 point, or a single point.

Panning is my next technique I will be practicing at the next Gymkhana. Trying to add some motion sense to those photos would be nice!
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.