1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice catch. That was a pretty one. Have fun at Barber.
    black 8, Chillis, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a great time at the Barber Small Bore today. I'll try to do a ride report tomorrow. Just one pic as a teaser.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Chillis, B10Dave and 12 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I loaded my Like into my truck and was on the road by 6:45. The constantly changing weather forecast called for afternoon rain so I wanted to get to the Barber Motorsports Park as early as possible for the 2021 Barber Small Bore. I wanted to go to this in 2019 but I had another commitment. Last year it was cancelled due to Covid. This would be the year I would be able to participate in some small bore craziness. I arrived at around 8:30. There was very little traffic going into the park, mostly a few tiny bikes. I was nothing like that huge crowds at the Vintage Festival.

I found where the event was being held, parked my truck and unloaded. I got a call from Rich @2372ighost . He was at the ticket office. we met up shortly afterwards and then took a short ride.

Overlooking the small racetrack set up for small bore.

[​IMG]

I didn't get a pic but the area to our sides and behind us was the camping/RV area.

We rode back to the small bore area and walked around checking out what was there.

[​IMG]

SSR had a display.

[​IMG]

Lots of small bore bikes on display.

[​IMG]

People think of Groms as really small bikes but some bikes make the Grom look big.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Chillis, Stubanger and 8 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Honda had a bunch of their small bikes on display. They had a bunch of the new Groms. I really didn't care for the looks of most of them but I liked this color scheme:

[​IMG]

This looked like it used the old Suzuki Katana as it's styling inspiration.

[​IMG]

Cool vintage small bore.

[​IMG]

We checked out the racetrack.

[​IMG]

They were offering 20 minute track sessions for 25 bucks:hmmmmm

[​IMG]

It looked like fun but I wasn't planning on doing a track day and didn't really bring the right gear.

I asked what gear was required. I was told that my mesh gear and ankle high work boots were good enough:hmmmmm

I would have to think about this.

This cool little Aprilia scooter was by the track.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Chillis, Stubanger and 8 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We wandered around some more.

Tricked out Z125.

[​IMG]

Monkees:

[​IMG]

There was an area set up with a Gymkhana course. I tried it but the course just sucked. I must have not been the only one to think so since no one was riding it. I was disappointed because I was really looking forward to riding some Gymkhana:ricky:ricky

Then they took the cones away and there was a stunting show.

[​IMG]

The guy must of wore out a rear tire in less than a mile of riding:eek7

[​IMG]

He did do some other stuff besides burning up his rear tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No doubt it takes some skill to do this stuff but it's not something I have ever had much interest in. Personally I'd rather watch a trials exhibition.
    black 8, BHlvr, Chillis and 12 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After thinking it over for a while I decided that I might not ever get another easy opportunity to do a Track "day" on my little scooter. I went and signed up for a 20 minute slot later in the morning. We had some time to kill so we went for a little ride around Barber.

[​IMG]

Barber is a very well maintained and scenic facility.

Some people watching cars go around the track.

[​IMG]

There was an area where those who wanted to practice their stunting skills could practice.

[​IMG]

Then it was time for me to go back to my truck and put on my "track gear" :D
    black 8, BHlvr, Chillis and 7 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I gave Rich my Sony so he could take some pics of me on the track. About 10 minutes before track time the Lady doing the sign ups saw my scooter and said "I don't think you can ride that on the track":(

But she checked with some guy who said it wouldn't be a problem so I was good to go:-)

Getting the pre ride safety briefing.

[​IMG]

There would only be three of us on the track for this session. One was one of the instructors and then a young gal on a Grom. She was decked out in full leather and looked like she belonged on the track much more than I did.

Heading out behind the instructor who would lead us around for the first lap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first lap I passed the instructor and led for part of a lap. Then I let the gal on the Grom by because it seemed like she was a bit faster than me.

Turning on to the front straight.

[​IMG]
    black 8, strommonster, BHlvr and 12 others like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Obviously this was a smaller and tighter track than the main track a Barber.

[​IMG]

It was also a bit rough which wasn't the best think for the limited suspension on my scooter.

I was still having fun. The biggest limiting factor on how fast I could go was the lack of cornering clearance of my scooter.

[​IMG]

I eventually figured out that I didn't have to slow down that much for the curve at the end of the front straight.

[​IMG]

I left some little bits of plastic on the track as the belly pan under the front of the scooter would scrape if I leaned too far.

[​IMG]

20 Minutes on the track actually seemed to last for a pretty long time.

[​IMG]

Long enough for the gal on the Grom to lap me near the end of the session.

[​IMG]

I don't think the Grom had any more power.

[​IMG]

Lap times on this track really depended a lot on cornering speed.

[​IMG]

The sound and feel of scraping plastic kept me from taking too many chances in the curves.

[​IMG]

Unlike a motorcycle a scooter has no foot peg feelers to warn you when you are running out of cornering clearance.

[​IMG]

Taking the checkered flag!

[​IMG]

It was a lot of fun but 20 minutes was long enough for me. As much as I love my little scooter, a small motorcycle would be more fun on a track like this.
    black 8, strommonster, BHlvr and 13 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After taking off my gear we headed over to the swap meet area. We talked to @Moto-Kafe who had a booth there.

[​IMG]

We rode back up the hill overlooking the event.

[​IMG]

They had started up the drag racing!

We headed back down and through the event area.

[​IMG]

The drag strip was free so we got in line.

[​IMG]

As you can see, everyone here was a big believer in ATTGATT:lol3

[​IMG]

A view down the 1/32 mile strip.

The rider on the right showing off his skills as a professional drag racer:D

[​IMG]

Rich and I were next. I thought he would beat me on his TnT135 but i beat him twice. Then I beat a kid on a small dirtbike. The I had the chance to run against an ADV150. This would be interesting.

Both 150cc scooters. Honda ADV 150 vs Kymco Like 150i. Which do you think is faster?
    black 8, Chillis, Stubanger and 10 others like this.
  10. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that's just cruel, keeping us in suspense like that. Shame on you! :D
    Chillis, JRowland, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Sorry to keep you in such suspense. I know that this a question you have been wishing to know the answer to since these two scooters came out:lol3

On paper these two scooters should be pretty close. In reality, they were. I edged out the ADV 150 by a few feet.

Drag racing a scooter is a little simpler than drag racing a motorcycle. Since there is no clutch or shifting to do you just twist the throttle and let the scooter do it's thing.

After the ADV150 I took on a Gal on a heavily modified Grom. She ended my winning streak and I decided to move on to something else.

We went back over to the stunt practice area. It was a chance for me to practice my action photography.

[​IMG]

No this guy wasn't stunting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, Chillis, Stubanger and 10 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed over to the dirt racing area. They wouldn't let anyone through to the area until after 2 when the racing was scheduled to begin. I killed some time by taking some glamour shots of shots of my Like with the track on the background.

[​IMG]

There was an interesting mix of cars on the track. Some where street cars, Porsche, Miata, Mustang, etc and some were dedicated race cars.

[​IMG]

We went back to the main event area and walked around.

[​IMG]

This guy was riding around with his kid at maybe 2 MPH.

[​IMG]

More drag styled bikes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A heavily farkled Grom.

[​IMG]
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was supposed to start raining by 2 but for some strange reason, the weather guessers were wrong:dunno They finally let us go down to the area where the Creekside Classic dirt racing would take place. We rode down a dirt trail and found a place to park our bikes.

[​IMG]

We checked out the start area and............someone had decided that dirt racing would be better with a Mariachi band:lol3

[​IMG]

These guys ended being here for the whole event. It just added some hilarity to the event.

Here come the racers.

[​IMG]

Rich and I walked a bit to find a good vantage point. I was wishing I had brought a chair.

[​IMG]

This was not real dirt bike racing. Most of the competitors were on street tires. The most popular bike by far was the Grom.

Getting some air.

[​IMG]

This guy was one of the few that had some semblance of ATTGATT.

[​IMG]

They had six racers in each group and the races were three laps long.

This was the typical protective gear worn by the racers:

[​IMG]

I have to give the fashion award to this guy:D

[​IMG]

It was the prefect attire to be racing in with Mariachi music playing in the background:rofl
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More racing.

[​IMG]

We wandered off to check out some different vantage spots to watch from. Being old men we were getting tired of standing so we decided to go back, get our bikes and explore the viewing spots on our bikes and then we could sit on them while watching!

There is a dirt "road" that goes around part of the track. It was probably more challenging than the track itself with some pretty deep muddy spots. It was a fun ride on the small bikes. We soon came to the end of the road.

[​IMG]

Rich heading back.

[​IMG]

We soon found a nice viewing spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the most part it seemed that Groms were winning the races. There were some Monkey bikes racing but they just didn't seem to be ridden by aggressive riders. In one race there was a scooter out front.

[​IMG]

It was a 150 but I couldn't figure out what it was:scratch

A Ruckus and a tiny dirt bike.

[​IMG]

A cool breeze came through and it looked like it might rain so we decided to head back to my truck.
    black 8, Chillis, Stubanger and 12 others like this.
  15. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up / report.. I wish I could have made it down.
    black 8, Chillis, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  16. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drag race: ADV 150 vs Win on the Kymco 150 S0369233.JPG
  17. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8, Chillis, gulfcoaster and 8 others like this.
  18. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    klaviator, I didn't attend this event , ( hopefully next year) but thank you for all the great pictures , I feel like I was there. cms
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm not sure it would have been worth the trip for you. IMO this is a great event if you participate but not nearly as interesting if you are just a spectator. To participate you need a small bore bike which for this event is under 200cc for a 4 stroke and 100cc for a 2 stroke.

Thanks. I'm not done yet!
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got back to my truck and Rich got his stuff and headed for home. Unlike me, Rich rode to the event and it looked like rain was coming. I wasn't really worried about the rain because I would be in my truck. I figured if I came all this way to get to the event I wanted to get all I could out of it.

I walked around the vendors area. Most of the people were at the Dirt racing area so it was pretty quiet here. A couple of the vendors were playing cornhole.

[​IMG]

I decided to back over to the dirt riding area to see the hill climb. As I was riding over it started raining so I ducked under a tree.

[​IMG]

The rain didn't last and I continued on. I had figured it would be hard to get a good view of the hill climb because of the large crowd and limited viewing area. This was sort of true but I noticed that there weren't that many people at the very bottom of the hill so I hiked down.

The hillclimb was set up to make it as difficult as possible. This hill was part of the track at the Vintage cross country racing last time I was here but those were dirt bikes and they had some speed when they started up the hill. The way it was set up here there was little run up area and then they had to jump a log which pretty much killed their speed.

[​IMG]

The hill started right after the log and quickly got steep.

[​IMG]

On top of that there were some ruts and bumps to make it more challenging.

[​IMG]

Some riders made it up and some didn't.

Most of the bikes doing the climb were not dirt bikes and had street tires.

[​IMG]

This guy managed to clear the log at ludicrous speed:D

[​IMG]

I think he made it to the top.

[​IMG]