1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There were some scooters in the hill climb. This was a two stroke.

[​IMG]

He grounded out on the log and pushed the scooter over.

[​IMG]

This vintage bike raced in the dirt race before this and was running really badly on the second lap. We don't think he finished the race but he must fixed whatever problem he had.

[​IMG]

I didn't think there was any way he would make it up the hill but I think he managed make it by pushing.

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More hill climb because.........well it was just cool to watch!

[​IMG]

This guy went at the log full bore.

[​IMG]

And he crashed full bore as this pic from another angle posted in another thread by @Moto-Kafe shows.

[​IMG]

And more of my pics.

[​IMG]

He picked up the bike and continued on to the cheers of an enthusiastic audience.

[​IMG]

I don't think he made it all the way up but I don't remember for sure.

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More hill climb pics just because.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things could go sideways very quickly, and they often did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy basically walked his bike up the hill with his rear tire spinning.

[​IMG]

Until things went sideways that is:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once everyone had a try at the hill the hillclimb was over although there were a number of riders lined up hoping for a second run.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the hill climb ended I climbed back up the hill. This was parked up top.

[​IMG]

This was the scooter that Rich and I had seen leading one of the dirt races but we couldn't figure out what it was. Well it was a Kymco Super 8x. This was the model that replaced the older version that I owned sometime around 2014. Same engine but different body.

That was the last event I was planning on attending so I headed back to my truck. It was a fun day and I was glad I came. I wasn't quite ready to leave so I ride around the perimeter road.

This is the area where the swap meet is located during Vintage Fest.

[​IMG]

It was totally different on this day. There were just a few trucks & trailers parked here today.

I rode over to the pond across the road to take a pic.

[​IMG]

As I was getting ready to head back to my truck I saw someone waving at me from across the road:dunno

So I rode over there. It was @jeep8 who was there with his truck, trailer, bikes and wife and son. He asked me if I was planning on doing the parade laps. I told him I wasn't planning on it since I had spent 20 minutes on a track where I could ride as fast as I dared and this would not be as exciting. Well he had bought 2 passes for the parade laps and they just gave him 2 extra. He asked if I wanted one?

Hell Yeah:happay

So my day wasn't done yet!

I went back to my truck and put on my track day "ATTGATT". Yes I was way overdressed compared to almost everyone else but there's just something a bit unnerving about riding around a race track wearing shorts and a T shirt.

This was at the staging area with everyone getting ready to head over to the track.

[​IMG]

Riding around the perimeter road.

[​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot.

[​IMG]
  5. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same battery issue with the Indian

it showed full charge but nothing lit up

took it to the shop they put a battery in so far so good:dunno

Ran into these guys in phantom canyon thought you’d appreciate this

3128AD07-8C46-4358-9E3A-BE55E0F67B58.jpeg

One was our very own @GTEX
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got on the track by the museum. There was a pace car up front that kept the speeds down. I did a parade lap at the Vintage Fest in 2019 on my Majesty. Despite all the bikes being tiny for this event I'd say the speeds were about the same. On the pre ride brief they said "NO Passing".....except if you are going faster than someone:scratch

It was quickly obvious that they weren't enforcing the no passing rule so I did some passing but I tried to give other bikes a wide berth when passing them. This track is so wide that there is plenty of room despite the large number of bikes. I don't know how many bikes were on the track but I'm sure it was well over a hundred.

I was able to hit around 60 on the straights. Speeds where lower in the curves due to traffic but not so slow that it wasn't fun. This is a great track. The track surface is super smooth unlike the small track I rode earlier in the day. I would love to do a track day on this track someday but on something a bit faster than my Like.

I did take some pics.

[​IMG]

This bike looked like a Kawasaki sport bike but it looked like a custom bike that was built around a scooter drivetrain.

[​IMG]

As you can see riding gear requirements were strictly enforced:lol3

[​IMG]

It was only three laps but it was a blast:wings Thanks @jeep8 for the armband to do this!

Then I went back and loaded up my scooter and headed out. Jeep8 was still there so I stopped to thank him and talk a bit.

[​IMG]

He had quite the cool collection of bikes. In the trailer were a Helix, Elite 110, Passport??, and then a really nice CB125 in the truck. So we talked a bit before I headed for home.

So, Thanks @jeep8 for the parade lap pass!

I'll wrap up with my thoughts of this event in another post.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on this event. First, I had a blast and I'm really glad I went. Initially I was a bit disappointed because there just didn't seem to be that much there. I had also heard there would be Kawasaki Demo rides and there weren't. I would really see demo rides there in the future, particularly of small bore bikes. I'd love to ride the new Grom, the monkey bike, trail cub and super cub. I'd also like to ride the Z125.

The Gymkhana was really lame and disappointing as well. They need to get someone who knows how to set up a decent course. I've ridden a lot of gymkhana's and they all had much better courses.

The Track time was unexpected. It would be even more fun on a bike with more cornering clearance.

I did run into a number of people from this forum and the Motorcycle Alabama forum.

The dirt racing and hill climb where really cool as was riding my scooter in the dirt near the track. It would have been nice to compete in the dirt races. I could easily get around the track on my Like, or any of my bikes but I don't know if I would want to subject them to the abuse of trying to ride fast in the dirt.

Riding the parade laps was also awesome just like it was back in 2019 when I did parade laps on my Majesty following a guy scattering another friends ashes! Just like that time it made me want to get a track bike and do a track day there.

I'll probably go again next year. I'll be better prepared if I go next year. I'm thinking of bringing an EZ up, some chairs and a big cooler. Having a place to relax and hang out between events would be nice.

I'll also bring better gear for riding on the track. It would be cool to get a group on the track together.

There is another small bore event next weekend I think in Townsend. I already made other plans or I'd be going to that because it sounds like it will be more of a riding event. Tiny bikes are just a lot of fun. I'm trying to justify getting a fifth bike. It would be something like a Grom, Monkey bike, Z125 or TnT135.

Time will tell:hmmmmm
    black 8, B10Dave, gulfcoaster and 8 others like this.
  8. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the heck! You're not getting any younger. GO FOR IT!:lol3
    2372ighost, JRowland, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  9. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can park 2 or 3 small bikes in the spot of 1 normal street bike. So space isn’t a problem. They are reasonably priced compared to larger bikes, so buy 2.

No problem.
    B10Dave, 2372ighost, norton73 and 6 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Just what I need, a couple of enablers. What I really need is an intervention:lol3
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A few nights ago we had a spectacular sunset. I got some pics from the house but I mostly missed it. I was hopeful of another great sunset tonight so I headed out to catch it. I quickly saw that it was not to be but I still got some OK pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was so glad to be riding my scooter on some deserted roads as opposed to being stuck in the nasty traffic on I-565.

[​IMG]

Any excuse for a ride. When my small scooter is available I am way more likely to go for rides than when it isn't. That was the case when I had my Super 8 and it's still the case with my Like.
  12. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done a few track days at Barber and can attest that it's a great track to test your riding skills.
    You should do it!
    dp064, staticPort, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  13. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Barber coverage. That looks worth a cross country trip to do.

Small Honda on Jeep8's trailer is the Honda Express. '82 or later model.
    black 8, dp064, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  14. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You think I could help with an intervention?:imaposer
    Thinwater, dp064, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  15. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack
    dp064, Chillis, 2372ighost and 2 others like this.
  16. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If @2372ighost is your motorcycle addiction sponsor you might need a bigger garage.
    Thinwater, TheSweeper, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  17. Raptorman

Raptorman Retired Raptor Keeper

Oddometer:
    Win you've lived in Alabama long enough to know they don't need no stink'in safety gear in ALABAMA! :lol3 Them rules a purely for the city folk. :jack Smallbores are the real people's bikes!!! :clap
    JRowland, 2372ighost, dp064 and 6 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I won't need a bigger garage, I'll need to build an extra garage!
    dp064, 2372ighost, Thinwater and 2 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There were quite a few people who came to this from out of state and made a weekend out of it. It's a 2 1/2 day event. So come on to Alabama next year. Your super Monkey would be a big hit at the event.

I just found out that this event was also Honda's intro of the 2022 Grom. At least a couple of moto-journalists had writeups:

https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/512433/2022-honda-grom-review/

https://autobala.com/2022-honda-grom-first-ride-review/58136/

A couple of interesting facts from these articles. The Grom has become Honda's best selling streetbike in the USA and they have sold over 750,000 units worldwide.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The biggest issue is not lack of garage space or even cost. The biggest issue for me will be deciding which one to get. I really like the TnT135. I also really like the Monkey Bike and Trail Cub for their off road capability. I also like the Z125. After reading the reviews of the new Grom that is suddenly a contender also. Although the Grom is supposed to be a street bike the dirt races at Barber Small bore seemed to be won mostly by Groms on street tires. Then there were the two Groms that did the TAT.

This is going to be a tough decision:hmmmmm On top of that, this class of bikes seems to be pretty hot so I expect to see more contenders in the coming years.

I really like this color scheme: ( Pic from the Autobala article)

[​IMG]

I expect dealers will be charging top dollar for the new Groms at first so if I decide on the Grom I'd wait for the rush to die down.
    black 8, Stubanger, B10Dave and 8 others like this.