Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode to the old bridge that was made famous many years ago on one of @algoodwin 's rides. Then @Thinwater took us there a couple of more times.

Well, the bridge was gone:

[​IMG]

Bummer:( I know the bridge was no longer in use but it was still pretty cool.

Our next stop was the Big Red Store.

[​IMG]

This place was packed. Cars, truck, side by sides and ATVs where parked everywhere.

Shortly after we got there, this showed up:

[​IMG]

A big red Ferrari at the Big Red Store:D

We wandered around.

[​IMG]

Sometime later these guys fired off the canon:defend I wasn't expecting it. I'm surprised no one had a heart attack!

Lots of people here.

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I checked out the inside of the Big Red Store.

[​IMG]

It was pretty dark inside and many of my pics didn't come out that great.

I wasn't the only one checking the place out.

[​IMG]

They had a real variety of stuff here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place was a big general store and sold all kinds of things back in the day.

[​IMG]

When was the last time you used an encyclopedia?

[​IMG]

The great, great grandfather of your cell phone:lol3

[​IMG]
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great to meet you and the guys and finally get to ride with y'all. I did get a few pics along the way.
    IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2071.JPG
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    David and I got in line to get some food.

[​IMG]

We talked some to the lady in line behind us. She gave us some of the scoop on this place. She said this was the first time they were open in around two years after being closed due to Covid. In the past they would open twice a year, 4rth of July and Christmas. This was the first time open since the current owner bought it. In the past there were a lot more vendors here. She said that they really put up some impressive lights for Christmas.

I mentioned the festival I had seen years ago at the Mt Zion Church just North of here. She had been to that but said they quit doing those festivals a couple of years ago. The people responsible for organizing that festival had gotten old and/or passed away and there just weren't enough left who still wanted to do it.

This was the menu:

[​IMG]

I had planned on a burger but here was a chance to eat something different. How many of you have eaten Goat Stew?

Goat Stew and Pepsi at the deluxe dining accommodations nearby:dukegirl

[​IMG]

it was pretty good but kind of tasted like chicken:rofl

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was music.

[​IMG]

I went back inside to get some home made ice cream. The prices for food and drinks were really reasonable.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of classic vehicles there.

[​IMG]

I think the above car was a Chevelle. Then there was this vintage Bro Dozer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved my bike to get it in the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a pic of my bike with the Ferrari but it left as I was getting ready to move my bike. I had to settle for a pic of my bike with this barn instead:D

[​IMG]
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the weather. It was about perfect for riding. Low 80s and not humid. For July in the deep south this was truly awesome.

So we left the Big Red Store and rode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped at the Mt Zion Methodist Church because its a cool place to stop.

[​IMG]

This bridge really bounces when you walk on it.

On top of that it tilts to one side.

[​IMG]

And its missing a couple of steps.

[​IMG]

There is a paved water crossing there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When this gets through uploading in a few minutes here was my sample of the festivites from a cage.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to ride some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a lot of water crossings in this area.

[​IMG]

Some are paved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some aren't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode back past this place. It definitely gets your attention.

[​IMG]

This old abandoned truck also caught my eye.

[​IMG]

We rode some more but I didn't take any more pics. I had a route laid out but deviated from it and got "lost" a few times but since we eventually found our way home without running out of gas we weren't really lost. The route ended up a bit shorter than my normal rides but we made up for it by stopping and telling some lies:D

Our final stop was in Elkmont.

[​IMG]

We hung out in the shade and told some more lies. Then we split up and rode home. Both David and Greg live in the Birmingham area and had a long way to get home.

I didn't want to get on the interstate so I took some back roads. I came across the new Greenbrier Parkway which was built to service the new Toyota plant. This place is huuuuge. I took a pic but it doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]

I got home with around 180 miles on the Odo. Next time I ride that area I'll lay out a longer route.

Thanks everyone who showed up for the ride. @bomose , it was nice meeting you in person after interacting on the forum for so long.

A couple of the guys were interested in a ride on Monday. I'm still trying to figure out a route. Its going to be a lot hotter than yesterday and I don't think some of my favorite lunch stops like the Old Delina Country Store or 31 BBQ will be open tomorrow.

To everyone following along, I hope you have a great 4rth of July!
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for adding the video. You captured the mood of the place pretty well. You must have been there early. I think it was a lot more crowded when we were there. It was definitely worth going. I'm glad you told me about this because I would never have known about it otherwise. They should be having another festival for Christmas. A lady there told me they really go overboard decorating the place, at least they have in the past. I'm going to try to check that out.
  12. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2096.JPG IMG_2108.JPG I did get a few of you, Win, since you're not usually in many of your rides. I thought it was a great route. Just the kind I like. I ended up with 340 miles. Greg and I departed on the interstate since I was going by our cemetery in Vinemont. I went down 31.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had another ride planned this morning. It was a street ride meeting in Ardmore at 8. I posted it in the regional forum as well as Motorcycle Alabama. But it didn't happen. Here's what did:

Just before going to bed last nigh I discovered that our freezer out in the garage wasn't running and everything was defrosting.

Crap!!

The lights were on in the garage and none of the breakers were popped so I figured my freezer just died. It was a cheap freezer I bought about 8 years ago.

Debbi and I took as much stuff as we could and stuffed it into out inside Refrigerator/freezer. We threw out some really old stuff. We took the rest to my Mom's house. We were barely able to fit everything into the space she had.

Before going to my Mom's house I decided I better cancel this ride because who knows how late I would be up. I tried to cancel on MA but got a really weird error message telling me I would need to get the post approved by a moderator??

I didn't have time to mess with that so I posted the cancellation on ADV and headed out. After putting the stuff in Mom's freezer she mentioned how her freezers in the garage quit working over a year ago and it turned out to be a popped GFI outlet on the outside of the house that the Christmas lights were on.

So when I got home I got on the computer and tried posting on here again. No problem this time. I figured Johnny had been doing stuff to the forum because of all the spammers we have had lately.

Then I went out to the garage to check the outlet the freezer was on. It wasn't working. I had assumed that since the garage lights were on it wasn't the electricity but the overhead lights are on a different circuit. The outlets on the walls and outside outlets are on a GFI circuit. I looked for the GFI outlet but couldn't find it:baldy Finally I gave up and figured I'd look at it in the morning.

But it was bugging me so looked some more a little later and found the GFI outlet and reset it. I still have no idea what popped it but after cleaning out the empty freezer I plugged it back in and its still running this morning.

I'm glad we didn't have a big group for this morning. @mojo1 was then only person to post that he was coming and he checked the forum around 5:30 this morning before riding all the way to Ardmore from South of Birmingham. The lesson learned from this is always check the forum for last minute changes before heading out to a ride.
  14. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GFI outlets do go bad when they get old. They'll trip really easy or won't reset. If it does it again, I'd replace it.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy. I'll keep that in mind.

After cancelling my long ride for today I at least got out for a short ride on the scooter.

[​IMG]
  16. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's a bit too long for me. I thought about doing the cannonball but came to my senses. I know at least one of the participants, probably more. When the Cannonball was postponed last year a few of the participants came to my Maggie Valley Scooter ride. I think I'll enjoy following along more than I would riding it myself. Doing day after day 400 mile rides on a small scooter just wouldn't be fun for me although it would be really cool to be able to say I did it!

There's a thread in Battle Scooters on this event: https://advrider.com/f/threads/scooter-cannonball-2020-update-to-2021.1377355/

Here's a thread by a Gal who is participating: https://advrider.com/f/threads/scootin-my-way.1385238/page-62#post-42625978

There is one inmate who is riding his Super Cub from California to the start in Bar Harbor and then competing in the cannonball:bow
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went out to try to catch the sunset again. Clouds on the horizon kept it from being really spectacular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    makes me wanna go there! thanks for posting
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    An electrician told me to not run a refrigerator (or freezer)on a GFCI circuit. Something about the way they work, they can trigger a fault. That's why a kitchen has the outlet for the fridge on a different circuit or at least wired separate.

Why does the fridge trip the GFCI?
    Any inductive load when switched off, can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI). This interference can, and often does, trip GFCI devices. Most vapor compression refrigerators have a few inductive loads, any of which could cause the trip.