Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old stomping grounds. Was stationed there back in the day. Nice pics (as usual!)
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  2. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey I was right there about 0730 this morning.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for a nice sunset this evening but a mainly just got some pics of clouds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. El Vulch

El Vulch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s right next to where I work.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I case anyone hasn't seen it in the other threads, Dual sport/adventure ride on Saturday. This will be in Limestone County and Tennessee. Details: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-alabama-riders.1092367/page-72#post-42594019

We stopped at the Big Red Store on several previous rides but its only open every once in a great while. Saturday will be one of those rare days so we'll be stopping there. They will have food, vendors and music so we'll spend a little time and eat lunch there. Hopefully I can find some of the good roads Stephen has taken us through in the past.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    For another look at our ride from last Saturday, check out @Thinwater 's ride report complete with video: https://advrider.com/f/threads/thinwater-escapades.1502022/page-2#post-42603040

Tomorrow should be an interesting ride. So far only three people have posted that they will be joining me but who knows how many will actually show up. A small group will probably be better for this ride anyway. I spent a lot of time on Google maps trying to figure out a route. This will mostly be stuff I have followed behind @Thinwater . It's good riding but this time I have to be able to figure out where we are going. I will have handwritten instructions in my tank bag's map pocket. No telling how many times we will get lost:D
  7. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're not lost until you can't get home.
  8. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride today, Win! Thanks for putting it together. The Big Red Store was a nice bonus.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Charlie. I'm glad you could make it.

After I got home I ate dinner and loaded the pics I want to use on SmugMug. Then I sat down in my Lazy Boy and fell asleep. That's what happens when you get old:gerg
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now that my nap is done I guess its time to start the ride report:D

Our meeting spot today was a Chevron on the South side of Athens. This was my first time using this spot. I got there early followed by Greg @mojo1 and then David @bomose . We talked a bit then Charlie @sacto929 showed up.

At 9 we headed out and rode west. I wanted to explore some roads west of Athens. I thought I hadn't ridden these roads before but once we got there I realized I had but it was years ago.

We rode along the Elk River.

[​IMG]

The roads were pretty good but nothing spectacular. We stopped Salem and I filled up. Everyone else had much bigger tanks than I did so they didn't need to top off. We rode some nice roads including some of the best dirt on the area. I didn't get any pics until we all stopped after finishing a pretty rocky trail. Greg's passenger seat had fallen off and needed to be re-attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did a number of creek crossings.

[​IMG]

We took advantage of a shady spot to take a break.

[​IMG]

This was my first time leading a ride in this area and so far it was working out pretty well. I told everyone I would get us lost but so far I hadn't.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode to the old bridge that was made famous many years ago on one of @algoodwin 's rides. Then @Thinwater took us there a couple of more times.

Well, the bridge was gone:

[​IMG]

Bummer:( I know the bridge was no longer in use but it was still pretty cool.

Our next stop was the Big Red Store.

[​IMG]

This place was packed. Cars, truck, side by sides and ATVs where parked everywhere.

Shortly after we got there, this showed up:

[​IMG]

A big red Ferrari at the Big Red Store:D

We wandered around.

[​IMG]

Sometime later these guys fired off the canon:defend I wasn't expecting it. I'm surprised no one had a heart attack!

Lots of people here.

[​IMG]
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I checked out the inside of the Big Red Store.

[​IMG]

It was pretty dark inside and many of my pics didn't come out that great.

I wasn't the only one checking the place out.

[​IMG]

They had a real variety of stuff here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place was a big general store and sold all kinds of things back in the day.

[​IMG]

When was the last time you used an encyclopedia?

[​IMG]

The great, great grandfather of your cell phone:lol3

[​IMG]
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was great to meet you and the guys and finally get to ride with y'all. I did get a few pics along the way.
    IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2071.JPG
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    David and I got in line to get some food.

[​IMG]

We talked some to the lady in line behind us. She gave us some of the scoop on this place. She said this was the first time they were open in around two years after being closed due to Covid. In the past they would open twice a year, 4rth of July and Christmas. This was the first time open since the current owner bought it. In the past there were a lot more vendors here. She said that they really put up some impressive lights for Christmas.

I mentioned the festival I had seen years ago at the Mt Zion Church just North of here. She had been to that but said they quit doing those festivals a couple of years ago. The people responsible for organizing that festival had gotten old and/or passed away and there just weren't enough left who still wanted to do it.

This was the menu:

[​IMG]

I had planned on a burger but here was a chance to eat something different. How many of you have eaten Goat Stew?

Goat Stew and Pepsi at the deluxe dining accommodations nearby:dukegirl

[​IMG]

it was pretty good but kind of tasted like chicken:rofl

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was music.

[​IMG]

I went back inside to get some home made ice cream. The prices for food and drinks were really reasonable.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of classic vehicles there.

[​IMG]

I think the above car was a Chevelle. Then there was this vintage Bro Dozer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved my bike to get it in the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to get a pic of my bike with the Ferrari but it left as I was getting ready to move my bike. I had to settle for a pic of my bike with this barn instead:D

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention the weather. It was about perfect for riding. Low 80s and not humid. For July in the deep south this was truly awesome.

So we left the Big Red Store and rode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We stopped at the Mt Zion Methodist Church because its a cool place to stop.

[​IMG]

This bridge really bounces when you walk on it.

On top of that it tilts to one side.

[​IMG]

And its missing a couple of steps.

[​IMG]

There is a paved water crossing there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When this gets through uploading in a few minutes here was my sample of the festivites from a cage.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to ride some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a lot of water crossings in this area.

[​IMG]

Some are paved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some aren't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode back past this place. It definitely gets your attention.

[​IMG]

This old abandoned truck also caught my eye.

[​IMG]

We rode some more but I didn't take any more pics. I had a route laid out but deviated from it and got "lost" a few times but since we eventually found our way home without running out of gas we weren't really lost. The route ended up a bit shorter than my normal rides but we made up for it by stopping and telling some lies:D

Our final stop was in Elkmont.

[​IMG]

We hung out in the shade and told some more lies. Then we split up and rode home. Both David and Greg live in the Birmingham area and had a long way to get home.

I didn't want to get on the interstate so I took some back roads. I came across the new Greenbrier Parkway which was built to service the new Toyota plant. This place is huuuuge. I took a pic but it doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]

I got home with around 180 miles on the Odo. Next time I ride that area I'll lay out a longer route.

Thanks everyone who showed up for the ride. @bomose , it was nice meeting you in person after interacting on the forum for so long.

A couple of the guys were interested in a ride on Monday. I'm still trying to figure out a route. Its going to be a lot hotter than yesterday and I don't think some of my favorite lunch stops like the Old Delina Country Store or 31 BBQ will be open tomorrow.

To everyone following along, I hope you have a great 4rth of July!