Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did impound Rich’s truck keys?
    2372ighost, JRowland and zookster like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year, Rich the scooter rider:

0712201842.jpg

This year, Rich the dual sport rider.

0719211715.jpg
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We have impounded his truck keys since he has already locked himself out of his motel room:lol3

Attached Files:

2372ighost, dp064, Stubanger and 8 others like this.
  4. TheSweeper

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, my comment was only about him losing them. Its a long way home to get the backup! The Margaritas at that place are sneaky.
    JRowland likes this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The weatherman lied.

0720211048.jpg
    B10Dave, JRowland, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    that's a new aviator sticker on the KLX (since April)... :thumb
  7. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just do like I did as a teenager. Find the biggest mud hole and hit it in third gear. You’ll be muddy and wet and won’t mind the rain.
  8. TheSweeper

Oddometer:
    All that rain sure does make things green! :-)
    2372ighost, dp064, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  9. ADV_Heff

ADV_Heff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They usually do. lol
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rain stopped, we fixed two of our three bikes, and we rode a bazillion curves, some paved, some not. We rode a few new to us roads. It was a great day. I didn't take a lot of pics today but I'll post more details and some pics after I get home.

We're getting together with the rest of the Alabama crew tomorrow.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I picked up a bunch of Naval Aviator Wings stickers when I went to Pensacola in May. All my bikes have one now.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now that I am back from my trip I'll start the ride report.

The weather forecast for Monday was rain, rain and more rain. Luckily it wasn't raining when I loaded my truck in the morning. On and off rain on the way to Maggie Valley. Steve and Rich were waiting for me when I got there. We had thought about maybe doing a short ride that afternoon if the weather cooperated. The weather didn't cooperate. On top of that we knew that many of the restaurants are closed on Mondays so we decided to eat early before there was a long line at one of the few restaurants open. We got to the Mexican place around 5 and still had a 5-10 minute wait to get seated. Rich decided to get a small Margarita instead of the Jumbo size he got last year as the pics I posted earlier shows.

I took a few pics from the motel. The first one shows the weather.

[​IMG]

The motel we stayed at was the Castlewood Inn.

[​IMG]

Our bikes are in front of our trucks under the overhang. There was a goofy golf place next to the motel.

[​IMG]

The forecast for Tuesday wasn't great but then we didn't have much faith in the forecast given the track record of the weather forecasters. We figured it we be dry at least part of the day and we would go riding.
    Stubanger, zookster, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we got up Tuesday Morning the weather forecast had improved drastically. A small chance of rain in Maggie Valley and dry just a little bit farther North. We brought some stuff for breakfast. Apparently North Carolina won't let the motel serve breakfast or coffee.

We hit the road in light sprinkles and as we rode North it kept raining harder. I pulled into the Trust Store and got out of the rain.

Were were Rich and Steve?? They had been right behind me. I waited a few minutes.

Oh Oh!!

I was about to ride back when they showed up. Rich's bike sounded like crap. It had just quit on him. He got it re started and they rode a short distance to the store. Steve thought the electrical system may have gotten wet and something was shorting out. Rich sprayed WD40 into the ignition key slot and on one Connector that was accessible. That fixed the problem and it seemed to run fine.

Now we had another issue.

[​IMG]

We were all wet and didn't feel like raining in this crap. It was 10:30 and the restaurant opened at 11. We hung out until 11 and then ate lunch. Steve and Rich had some kind of Spam sandwiches which the said were pretty good. I had a Chicken Salad Croissant which was very good. I should have taken some food pics but I didn't.

By the time we finished eating the rain had stopped so we went riding:ricky:ricky:ricky

We rode 209 to Baltimore Branch which is one of my favorites. Part of it is dirt and part of it is an awesome twisty paved road. Then we went exploring and rode more great pavement and dirt roads:ricky:ricky:ricky I was too busy riding to take any pics. We finally stopped on the river and I took some pics.

[​IMG]

Rich mentioned that my tail light was out so time for more bike maintenance. Steve had a spare bulb so I swapped it out.

As we got ready to go I repositioned my bike for this pic:

[​IMG]
    Stubanger, zookster, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode some really twisty roads around Marshall.

[​IMG]

Some we had ridden before and some were new to us. We got on the main road to get some gas. I saw a Auto Parts store and stopped there to get a couple of tail light/brake light bulbs. One to replace the one Steve gave me and a spare for me. There where none out on the rack but the guy found a box in the back and pulled out a couple of bulbs. The price for two bulbs? How about 71 cents!

We did some more exploring and found some great roads. I took some pics but have no idea where:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was headed back over towards Baltimore branch.

[​IMG]

This road is a blast!:ricky:ricky It can be ridden on a street bike but is much more fun on a dual sport.

[​IMG]

Back on pavement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although we only rode around 150 miles we did a bazillion or so curves, many of them unpaved. It was a great day of riding:ricky:ricky:ricky

We got back early enough to beat the dinner rush and ate at Butts on the Creek. When we finished dinner there was a long line waiting to get seated.

One last pic for the day.

[​IMG]

Forgot to mention the fact that it was great to be out of the summer heat. It rarely gets hot here in Maggie Valley. We had to put on jackets while sitting outside of our motel rooms.

Then we went to bed with a great forecast for the next two days to look forward to:rayof