Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just as an FYI for you scooter aficionados, here's a scoot from back in the day that is the epitome of how not to build one. It was called the "Stylemaster". Note the front fork tubes and the fake shock plunger on back.

[​IMG]

It was built for Indian by the Lowther Co. of Joliet, IL. It did not sell very well and they're supposedly very rare (only one or two in the U.S.)
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like it has car or trailer tires. Then there are those beefy fork tubes. I'm sure it handles really great:eek7
    dp064, gulfcoaster, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Took a short sunset ride this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed out for South East Huntsville this morning expecting to meet up with around 3 other riders this morning.

[​IMG]

We ended up with 8 riders total.

[​IMG]

As usual @mojo1 get the long distance award by coming here from south of Birmingham. He was planning on riding his FZ1 but he discovered it had a flat tire this morning so he rode his Himalayan.

Crossing the Tennessee River.

[​IMG]

I wasn't real trigger happy with the camera but did take a few pics.

[​IMG]

I'm glad I pre rode this route last weekend. I didn't miss any turns but came real close on one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It took us about an hour and a half to get to Allsport.

[​IMG]

More riders rolled in shortly after we did. It was good to see a lot of familiar faces as well as a few new ones. They had free pizza, drinks and some munchies for us.

As usual I was trying to infect people with the scoter virus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally succeeded.

[​IMG]

Sarah decided to get this 2020 Yamaha Xmax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had some nice door prizes which they handed out at 2. Prizes included passes to Barber Vintage Festival with parade laps and a 100 dollar gift certificate. I didn't win any but I had a great time hanging out for over three hours.

So I had a great time but now I'm home and I need to get all loaded up for Maggie Valley I'm hoping to get a real early start in the morning. I'm looking forward to a week of cool temperatures, fantastic roads and spending time with some other scooter fanatics:happay
  6. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for leading the ride Win.

I had a good time tire kicking motorcycles/scooters and chatting with other riders. Bonus was winning a $25 gift certificate that I will gladly spend.

Steve should invite you over every weekend given you sold a scooter while you were there. Heck I almost bought one with your sales pitch.
  7. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    561E095E-9AFC-4D10-AA08-D455B72E8F0B.jpeg Maggie Valley here I come.
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    my neck hurts
  9. jrm927

jrm927 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for leading the ride Win! You almost convinced me to buy a scooter as well. But first I need a 250 in the stable.
    Thinwater, Stubanger and klaviator like this.
  10. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So there I was…chasing a Street Triple and a Pan America down 129 towards the dam when I see a white scooter coming by. I know that guy! And that one and that one! What are the odds? Hope y’all had as much fun as I did! IMG_8528.jpg
    Thinwater, dp064, Salth2ofish and 8 others like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had a great day and we still have three more days of riding to go. We're heading North tomorrow.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got back home this afternoon from a fantastic several days in Maggie Valley. The roads, the people and even the weather were all fantastic. Then I got back to Alabama. It's a good 10 degrees hotter here than Maggie Valley. I unloaded everything then I was anxious to download my pics and look at then on a screen bigger than a couple of inches. I took 362 pics with my Olympus and downloaded them to my laptop. It took forever:dirtdog My laptop is pretty old. After downloading the pics I restarted my laptop because that often speeds it up. Not this time. It crashed instead. I tried resetting it but nothing is working. It's probably time for a new one.

Luckily I have a small, cheap laptop I use when I travel and as a backup. I'll start my ride report on the little 10 inch screen computer.

I left early Sunday morning for what is the biggest event of the year for me. This was the third annual Maggie Valley "Beat the Heat" Scooter gathering. I'm the one who has set up these events so I was excited at the prospect of getting together with a bunch of scooter riding inmates and riding some of the curviest roads on the planet but also a bit nervous because I'm the one doing the organizing. The last two events were great but there are always things that could go wrong with the weather being one of those things. The forecast called for a pretty good chance of rain but we all know how accurate those weather guessers are:loco

I got on the road shortly after 6 AM and started the drive with a nice sunrise so I got some pics from the truck.

[​IMG]

I thought it was cool to get the Saturn V in the pics.

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 12 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I lucked out with the traffic and arrived at the Tanglewood Motel in Maggie Valley very early in the afternoon. Normally motels don't let you check in before around 4 but in this case the motel was very short handed. Motels like restaurants are really having a hard time getting help these days. In the case of the Tanglewood a husband and wife run the place with no help. They knew they wouldn't be able to turn around the rooms after a busy weekend so they just closed the motel for the weekend before we got there so all the rooms were ready for us!

Even though I got there around 1 I wasn't the first one there and others also arrived early.

Here's @rdhood (Doug) on his BV350 with some unique moto luggage:D

[​IMG]

@BUZZARD II came down from Virginia with his Super Cub.

[​IMG]

@Salth2ofish really wanted to come to this event but had to work so he decided to ride down on Sunday just to meet us and then ride back home the same day. Here he was on his silverwing. The ride down was in the 3-400 mile range!

[​IMG]

@RUkidding (Scott) rode down from Ohio on his Reflex.

[​IMG]

@tonymarchman (Tony) made it to the first two of these events and was here again on his Vespa.

[​IMG]
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A few of us decided it was time to quit jabbering and go for a short ride so off we went. @Salth2ofish went with us since we were heading towards the interstate and he needed to head for home. I told him we would turn off just before the interstate and he should just go straight but when I turned off he turned too. We rode some back roads around Maggie Valley which were scenic and twisty but the road surface was a bit rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

passing underneath I-40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 17 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We turned up Cove Creek Rd which has some outstanding curves with nice pavement as it goes up the mountain to Cataloochie Valley. Eventually the pavement ends.

[​IMG]

We rode just a bit of the gravel because many of our scooters do have ADV stickers on them:D

[​IMG]

Then we turned around and went back down the hill.

Did I mention there were some curves on this road?

[​IMG]

You won't find any curves this tight on the dragon.

[​IMG]

When we got back to 276 @Salth2ofish headed for home. He ended up riding 712 miles that day!

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 19 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed back to the Motel. More people kept arriving. @Retro Iron rode his Vespa up all the way from South of Birmingham, Alabama. Not only was it an 8 hour ride but I'm sure he had to ride through some pretty hot temperatures.

[​IMG]

@JerseyBiker also stopped by and said hi. I didn't get a pic and don't remember if it was before or after our ride.

We hung out and socialized until it was time for bed. With all the old folks we had there it was pretty early, like around 10 PM.:gerg
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 15 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After a great day I would like to say that I got a good nights sleep but as usual for me when I'm at a riding event I tend to wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Its just too much excitement and anticipation. So I was up pretty early and took some pics.

Rich was already up too and was sitting on the ground next to his scooter.

[​IMG]

He was just adding some air to his tire with his fancy new pump.

It was a BEEEutiful morning.

[​IMG]

I walked down towards to road to get a view to the east and the sunrise.

[​IMG]

I think that next year someone needs to bring some "Vespa Parking Only" signs:lol3

[​IMG]

Soon other people were stirring as well. I ate breakfast in my room but Larry and Rich headed out for breakfast.

[​IMG]

The word is that the place for breakfast is not the famous Joey's Pancake House or even Country Vittles. It's Pop's. At least that's what Larry claimed.
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 15 others like this.
  18. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pop's rocks for breakfast. :dukegirl
    HH, JRowland, 2372ighost and 2 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The ride for Monday was taking 19 and 28 to Deal's Gap. Then we would hang out there and those who wanted to could ride the dragon. Everyone getting ready a few minutes before our 9 AM departure.

[​IMG]

We headed South on 19 which has a long climb up to the BRP. Its a bit of a challenge for the smaller bikes. With 150cc I had the second smallest bike on this ride with Jim on his 125cc Super Cub on the smallest bike. We both made it up and over the mountain at which point it was downhill to Cherokee. I had planned on taking 19 all the way to 28 and avoid as much 4 lane as possible but road construction made me change my mind and we jumped on the Smoky Mountain expressway at Bryson City. The smaller bikes are not ideal for a 55-60 MPH highway but we survived. We stopped at the BP shortly before the 28 intersection.

Steve was wearing his new Helmet with some super badass :D shades!

[​IMG]

A number of people were not showing up for another day or two so the group was smaller than I expected.

[​IMG]

This Vespa GT had the third smallest engine at 200cc.

[​IMG]

After everyone fueled up we continued on 19 and then 28. After a few miles 28 becomes a fun 2 lane road although it still has some hills that are challenging for the smaller bikes. We were having a great run when we were stopped by a sheriff's deputy at the gas station by the Fontana Resort. Someone was shooting a commercial on the bridge at the bottom of the hill so they were stopping traffic. He told us the delay could be 10 minutes or it could be 45:becca
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 14 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Luckily I know the local roads. We just took another route on some roads I was planning on riding later anyway. These roads are twistier than the dragon but without all the traffic. We stopped to re group at an intersection.

[​IMG]

Rich on his Vespa GTS, Doug on his BV350 and Dan on his Bet & Win 250.

[​IMG]

Tim on his Vespa HPE

[​IMG]

Steve and Kuleen on their Vespa GTS followed by Tony on his Vespa GTS.

[​IMG]

Tony followed by Scott on his Reflex.

[​IMG]