Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We turned up Cove Creek Rd which has some outstanding curves with nice pavement as it goes up the mountain to Cataloochie Valley. Eventually the pavement ends.

[​IMG]

We rode just a bit of the gravel so because many of our scooters do have ADV stickers on them:D

[​IMG]

Then we turned around and went back down the hill.

Did I mention there were some curves on this road?

[​IMG]

You won't find any curves this tight on the dragon.

[​IMG]

When we got back to 276 @Salth2ofish headed for home. He ended up riding 712 miles that day!

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 19 others like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed back to the Motel. More people kept arriving. @Retro Iron rode his Vespa up all the way from South of Birmingham, Alabama. Not only was it an 8 hour ride but I'm sure he had to ride through some pretty hot temperatures.

[​IMG]

@JerseyBiker also stopped by and said hi. I didn't get a pic and don't remember if it was before or after our ride.

We hung out and socialized until it was time for bed. With all the old folks we had there it was pretty early, like around 10 PM.:gerg
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 15 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After a great day I would like to say that I got a good nights sleep but as usual for me when I'm at a riding event I tend to wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Its just too much excitement and anticipation. So I was up pretty early and took some pics.

Rich was already up too and was sitting on the ground next to his scooter.

[​IMG]

He was just adding some air to his tire with his fancy new pump.

It was a BEEEutiful morning.

[​IMG]

I walked down towards to road to get a view to the east and the sunrise.

[​IMG]

I think that next year someone needs to bring some "Vespa Parking Only" signs:lol3

[​IMG]

Soon other people were stirring as well. I ate breakfast in my room but Larry and Rich headed out for breakfast.

[​IMG]

The word is that the place for breakfast is not the famous Joey's Pancake House or even Country Vittles. It's Pop's. At least that's what Larry claimed.
  4. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pop's rocks for breakfast. :dukegirl
    HH, JRowland, 2372ighost and 2 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The ride for Monday was taking 19 and 28 to Deal's Gap. Then we would hang out there and those who wanted to could ride the dragon. Everyone getting ready a few minutes before our 9 AM departure.

[​IMG]

We headed South on 19 which has a long climb up to the BRP. Its a bit of a challenge for the smaller bikes. With 150cc I had the second smallest bike on this ride with Jim on his 125cc Super Cub on the smallest bike. We both made it up and over the mountain at which point it was downhill to Cherokee. I had planned on taking 19 all the way to 28 and avoid as much 4 lane as possible but road construction made me change my mind and we jumped on the Smoky Mountain expressway at Bryson City. The smaller bikes are not ideal for a 55-60 MPH highway but we survived. We stopped at the BP shortly before the 28 intersection.

Steve was wearing his new Helmet with some super badass :D shades!

[​IMG]

A number of people were not showing up for another day or two so the group was smaller than I expected.

[​IMG]

This Vespa GT had the third smallest engine at 200cc.

[​IMG]

After everyone fueled up we continued on 19 and then 28. After a few miles 28 becomes a fun 2 lane road although it still has some hills that are challenging for the smaller bikes. We were having a great run when we were stopped by a sheriff's deputy at the gas station by the Fontana Resort. Someone was shooting a commercial on the bridge at the bottom of the hill so they were stopping traffic. He told us the delay could be 10 minutes or it could be 45:becca
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 14 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Luckily I know the local roads. We just took another route on some roads I was planning on riding later anyway. These roads are twistier than the dragon but without all the traffic. We stopped to re group at an intersection.

[​IMG]

Rich on his Vespa GTS, Doug on his BV350 and Dan on his Bet & Win 250.

[​IMG]

Tim on his Vespa HPE

[​IMG]

Steve and Kuleen on their Vespa GTS followed by Tony on his Vespa GTS.

[​IMG]

Tony followed by Scott on his Reflex.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We continued on until we stopped to wait for the slower riders.

[​IMG]```

We waited.

And waited.

Oh OH!

I headed back to see where they were but didn't get very far when along they came. It turned out that Dan had taken a little spill putting some minor scratches on his scooter and picking up some butt rash:muutt

The story and pics of the incident are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021...ing-info-thread.1491015/page-18#post-42800192

We continued on a short distance then stopped again hoping to see Harrison Ford jumping from the dam. He was nowhere to be seen but we did get some pics.

[​IMG]

Scooter trash:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Then it was a little over a mile up the hill to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Bar None and his Ural were waiting for us.

[​IMG]

I got a pic of the memorial plaque for Jerry (@TrashCan)

[​IMG]

Jerry was a friend and was one of the attendees of the first beat the heat ride. He was a regular at Deal's Gap and very well known here.
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 18 others like this.
  9. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny that I rode down 28 until we had to stop then turned back and ran the same detour you did in the opposite direction.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Randy it would have been really cool if we had both been at DGMR or the overlook at the same time. Hope to see you on a local ride before too long.
    Thinwater, CMS, 2372ighost and 4 others like this.
  11. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic beat the heat “footage” and editorializm. Super great folks, glad I was able to ride up and meet a few of you. And thank you @klaviator for giving me my 15 minutes of internet fame. So cool to be in with such great company. Looking forward to the rest of the weeks adventure in pics.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you in person. I thought what you did was awesome, riding 712 miles including a short ride with us.

As for internet fame, you have to be careful with that. It makes your head swell up and you need to buy bigger helmets:lol3:lol3 Or then again, maybe its just old age that does that:rofl
    Thinwater, CMS, Stubanger and 7 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had lunch at Deal's Gap and then it

was time to "slay the dragon".....or something like that. I know that people who ride here from Kansas or other flat place think that the dragon is just incredibly twisty. It is a very nice road but we rode tighter curves getting to Deal's Gap and would be riding plenty of much tighter and more challenging roads the next few days.

Many of our group chose not to ride the dragon. A couple had gone before us so it was just Rich and me that headed out. Right away we got stuck behind a slow moving Harley:( With 13.4 horsepower its tough to find a place to pass. I just hoped this guy would be considerate enough to use a pull off and let us by. He pulled off at the top of the hill where it looked like he had some friends waiting:-)

So Rich and I were having a great time with no traffic to impede us.:ricky:ricky:ricky The only thing holding us back was the limited cornering clearance of our scooters.

Not too far down the road I saw Vince sitting up on a hill overlooking the road so I pulled off. This was where the Scary Jerry memorial bench was and I wanted to see it and get some pics.

[​IMG]

I climbed up and got a pic looking down.

[​IMG]

This is a good spot to relax and watch the traffic go by.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to continue the ride. @Bar None got a couple of pics of us going by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Vince for the pics:thumb

Rich and I had a great run all the way to the overlook:ricky:ricky:ricky I normally stop there and take a break but as soon as I stopped and took off my helmet I realized that it was stinking hot out in the sun at the lower elevation so we geared back up and headed back. Going back there was more traffic than coming down so we ended up pulling over a few times and letting the slow traffic get a ways up the road before we continued on at a "fun" pace.

One thing I do remember was riding through a curve and hearing the loud sound of scraping metal behind me:eekers I asked Rich about it later and he had scraped his sidestand on more than one occasion:ricky
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 14 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When Rich and I got back to Deal's Gap we turned right into the Killboy parking lot to get a tourist pic:

[​IMG]

Then it was over to the DGMR parking lot. Larry and a few others who hadn't ridden the dragon decided to head back and ride the Road to Nowhere. The rest of us waited a bit and then decided to do the same thing. The photo shoot on 28 was finished so we ride that great section of 28 between Deal's Gap and Fontana that we missed in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came up behind some slow traffic so I pulled over and took the opportunity to get this pic.

[​IMG]

I pulled over again near Fontana because of slow traffic but over all we had a fun ride on 28.

I was sad to see the Stecoah Diner had burned down.:( I have eaten a lot of good meals there over the years.

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We took 19 into Bryson City and turned left to ride the Road to Nowhere. Bryson City is a pretty touristy town. I have stopped and wandered around on previous trips but no one was interested in doing that this time so I just got some pics as we rode through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The "road to nowhere" was originally supposed to go through to somewhere in GSMNP but was never completed and therefore was unofficially given the name "road to nowhere". There are even signs labeled "road to nowhere". If you want the whole history just google it.

The road does go into GSMNP.

[​IMG]

We passed the other group as they were coming back out but I wasn't quick enough with my camera to get a pic.

I had ridden this road once before on my Super 8 around 4 years ago. It was a bit rough back then and it doesn't appear they have done any road maintenance since so it was rougher this time.

[​IMG]

Soon we arrived at "nowhere"

[​IMG]

Just around the curve ahead is a tunnel that connects to some hiking trails but we weren't dressed for that today.

Looking the other way.

[​IMG]

Coming into Bryson City on the way out.

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, JRowland and 11 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we got to Cherokee we took a left on 441 and then right on the BRP. It had been a long time since I rode the section of the Parkway and had forgotten what a nice ride it is. It was also mostly up hill which I wouldn't have noticed on a bigger bike but definitely noticed on my 150cc scooter.

There were some tunnels.

[​IMG]

We stopped for a break after getting stuck behind some traffic.

[​IMG]

Then it was a fairly short ride back to Maggie Valley.

After we got back to the motel someone noticed that the rear tire on Doug's BV350 was close to being worn out so a discussion of what to do about that followed. Then someone noticed a piece of metal sticking into the tire:eekers The tire pressure was fine but what would that piece of metal do while the scooter was going down the road?

On top of that the headlight was burned out:(

Eventually the decision was made to remove the piece of metal and plug the tire. Then Doug would ride home the next day and come back on his Vespa. It was nice living close enough to do that and also having a couple of spare scooters ready to go!

We had a great evening hanging out at the motel. I think that the time at the motel is an important part of the fun that these events are. Those who didn't stay at the motel missed out on a lot of the fun.

And of course, being a bunch of old farts we went to bed early so we would be ready for another great day off riding the next day.
  18. Capt Scoots

Capt Scoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator, great ride report. I wish I wasn't all busted up and that I could have made it, but there's always next year. I can't wait to start riding again, but I will likely stick to the pavement for a while.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I Appreciate the compliment. I wish you of could have made it too and hope to see you there next year.

I still have a long ways to go to finish this ride report.
    Capt Scoots, Thinwater, CMS and 4 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was up early again on Tuesday morning. This was the day when we would ride what in my opinion was the best route of the event. This route is probably the best day of twisty road riding that I have ever done anywhere. Would the weather cooperate? There was a pretty good chance of afternoon showers.

I did what I did the previous morning and would become my standard routine and I walked down towards the main road. It looked like it would be a nice sun rise again.

[​IMG]

I walked down a bit more to get a better view.

[​IMG]

Then I walked all the way to 19 for another view.

[​IMG]

As time went by more people woke up and came out of their rooms. Some riders where staying at other places and they started to show up for the ride. We also had some new riders who weren't here for the first day. Here's @Donttellmywife relaxing in the small camping chair that he brought everywhere with him.

[​IMG]

At 10 to 9 I gave the daily pre ride briefing and at 9 sharp we were on the road. I was leading the "fast" group and Larry would lead the "slow" group. On the way out of town we picked up @JRowland who was waiting at a gas staion on the route and soon we were on some curvy back roads.:ricky:ricky:ricky