Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Approaching our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

We really lucked out at lunch. We ate at this place two years ago and it was really good. I was afraid that with around 17 of us we would overwhelm the place but they were nearly empty when we got there and they had plenty of room for us and the food and service were great.

I took a few pics inside but did a shitty job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic of the outside.

[​IMG]

This was much better than the gas station just down the road that we ate at last year.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch it was right back to riding more twisty roads. We did a down and back on a road that has some great spots for taking action pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 9 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We had stopped for pics at this same spot the previous two years as well. People were making runs back and forth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I signaled for Steve to slow down so we wouldn't have a collision!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With traffic going both ways I think people were taking better lines than last year when many were blowing the exit on this curve.

[​IMG]

Rich's little TnT 135 looked like blast on these super curvy roads.

[​IMG]

Josh on his DR650. He lives locally and gets to ride these roads all the time!

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 14 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Two years ago, at this same spot, I handed my camera to Greg ( @Bueller ) and he took some really interesting pics of me riding through this curve so I did the same thing this year.

[​IMG]

I think I scraped some plastic going around this curve:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a different view from all the other pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Greg!
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 12 others like this.
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll add some pics I got from Tuesday, what a great day!

4555845F-C1C1-44FB-B118-D0C9667AAFC2.jpeg

D1B287EC-87BC-4923-AABA-5CBDF311C112.jpeg

6D4B94C8-D57D-45CA-BF1D-72DD599A0957.jpeg

18E2F005-5C05-42D1-8100-9C5760884149.jpeg

6F6DBF4F-36C8-4E01-8034-11C1D0FCFCFC.jpeg

97A2C334-4593-4F90-ABD5-FF3C471370FD.jpeg

C61E92A9-35D7-4571-BBE5-77C19EA24DCC.jpeg

CE12DCA7-796B-471F-B1ED-1AB4D0D2F619.jpeg

28B3E1BA-6E24-4332-BBCD-0490578DAD84.jpeg

43130125-0386-4984-95A5-8FEC890DA2A4.jpeg

7223711B-57C3-478E-A162-D01846E33432.jpeg

F98AA67C-407E-4B8D-97DA-92533A6E3A14.jpeg

C091D47C-142B-40C7-B5FE-3EC5370FE0AD.jpeg

198679BD-F201-4AF2-8BB9-E528876E0DD3.jpeg

D77D3232-971F-499F-AF74-F810346145F1.jpeg

6F6B5343-4642-4A09-8123-C80A5568525A.jpeg

C57C6CB2-2B75-4347-9B42-AC024382A48D.jpeg

345F7270-98B3-4C2C-AE03-0ADB1972286B.jpeg

C60954DB-9A39-40DB-9457-153ACF1B742C.jpeg

4401A6CB-AE4A-404E-BC0A-84A013DAE62D.jpeg

2DAF099D-EC30-407B-88D5-E057472D8765.jpeg

DCC77B1D-C037-4908-A20E-EEDEAF117665.jpeg

AE0725EB-D50C-4B87-87AC-3591634D7EE0.jpeg

54030C69-BE9B-45A2-8F72-D253073B2DB3.jpeg

1AB487BA-328E-4F5A-9DB3-E81E9936A6EE.jpeg
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 15 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Josh for the pics.

After the last pic I posted I headed off ahead of the group to get set up for more action pics as the group came by. I didn't realize that Josh had done the same thing. I was looking for a different spot than the one I had used in the past. I really wanted a spot where I could get multiple curves in the pic. There was a spot just like that but there was no place to park the scooter so I continued on. When I got to my usual spot Josh was set up there and that's where most of the pics he just posted came from. I continued on until I found a spot with a different viewpoint and waited for the group.

Steve on his Vespa GTV.

[​IMG]

After resisting the scooter virus for years he is really into it now.

[​IMG]

Rich on his TnT135 followed by Greg on his Vespa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Donttellmywife on his Burgman 400 followed by Tony on his Vespa GTS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, CMS, ZigzagguzzI and 12 others like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Eric on his MP3 400.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vince on his Helix.

[​IMG]

Josh on his DR650.

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 13 others like this.
  8. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="

View attachment 3138315

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the guy who put down the mustard had trouble picking his line.:D
    CMS and JRowland like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Looks like the guy who put down the mustard had trouble picking his line.:D[/QUOTE]

Either they really, really don't want you to pass there or the guy doing the painting had a little too much moonshine at lunch that day:lol3
    CMS, Stubanger, 2372ighost and 2 others like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mo curvy roads:ricky

[​IMG]

Then, just like that, we came across another group of scooter riders!!

[​IMG]

OK, it was the other group. They left the lunch stop after we did but didn't take the out and back detour we did. I took advantage of having some riders ahead of me to take some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 10 others like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was a place where we had to make a right turn coming up. I was hoping we could pass the slower group there. When we got to the turn some of the riders had made the turn, some had gone past it and stopped and some just stopped. To add to the confusion we just went right by them and continued on. At least most of us did. I think 2 or three riders from my group ended up with the other group. No problem, we were all going to the same place.

We rode some mo curvy roads:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pictures don't do justice to these roads. These were simply some of the best curvy roads on planet IMO.

[​IMG]

OK, a sportbike rider might not agree with me as these roads aren't conducive to really high speeds but for scooters or smaller motorcycles these roads just rock!!

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, CMS and 15 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Eventually we got on some roads with more straights and high speed sweepers instead of tight curves. I was ready for a break and enjoyed the scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came to a long uphill climb so Steve pulled alongside me just to rub in the fact that he was on a 250 and I was on a 150:D

[​IMG]

And then he really rubbed it in:lol3:lol3

[​IMG]

We rode into Hot Springs and found a shady spot to park.

[​IMG]

It didn't take too long for the other group to show up but they parked right in the hot sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 12 others like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Hot Springs turned out to be a more interesting experience than I expected. Several of us wanted to get some ice cream so we went looking for an ice cream shop. We couldn't find one. I knew there had been some here in the past. Finally I went into the visitor center and the guy there told me were to find the ice cream shop. So we headed there. Parked outside the place were a couple of big adventure bikes, a KTM and a BMW. I'd tell you what happened next but I think Josh did a much better job of describing it in another thread so I'm just going to copy his post:

I thought this was super funny, the dude in the orange shirt in the last picture his name is Kim. I just met him yesterday in Hot Springs, and it was funny. Win found the ice cream store and a few of us went to get ice cream. Two nice shiny KTMs were sitting out front and when we got in the woman working told us she’d be right there. A few minutes later she yells to two dudes wearing the Klim catalog (I’m joking but it’s true) that their mocha frappe iced things were ready. Kim walks up and says “did you see those guys on mopeds roll through?” In a sarcastic way. I was facing away from him and immediately started laughing as I could see that there were some offended scooter riders about to respond. After a comment about scooters not mopeds, Kim still didn’t get it and said they came over the hill coming into town and got stuck behind a bunch of mopeds. A guy we were with said (holding his tongue) that was us and they’re scooters not mopeds. I said it was the slow group because no one came up on us. So Win gets his ice cream and does a cool thing, he goes over to them and introduces himself and starts talking to them about scooters and misconceptions, etc. Pretty soon he’s giving them directions to Baltimore Branch and telling them a cool route to Asheville where they were heading. As I was leaving Kim said something to me and I noticed he had a Hooch shirt on. @justBert has done that ride a few times and spoken highly of it so I asked him about it. He said he’s one of the organizers and told me about the charitable things they do with the money and such. A good friend of Win’s (Steve) has volunteered for the Hooch a few times so Win was sure they’d know each other so we went to find Steve. It ended up being pretty cool and funny, but it started with scooter trash basically :lol3

So Kim ended up coming back with me and talked to Steve for a while. He's the guy in the orange shirt. Of course he's not the first guy to not know the difference between a scooter and a moped.

[​IMG]

Then we headed of towards Maggie Valley. Since this is an ADV ride I figured we had to ride at least one dirt/gravel road so I turned down Doc Graham Rd. Whenever I see the sign for this road I think of the movie "Field of Dreams".
    Maybe a half of a mile of this road is not paved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we were back on pavement with a cool view down into the valley.

[​IMG]

Then we came to an intersection and we turned to ride a road that Steve had discovered a few weeks ago when we were here on our dual sport bikes. Steve took the lead with Rich behind him.

[​IMG]

We were having a good ride on this road when it started raining. Steve found a place to pull off to put on our rain jackets. We were right on the outskirts of Maggie Valley so a few riders just continued on without putting on any rain gear. The rest of us continued on and rode out of the rain in a couple of minutes.

Overall it was a fantastic day:wings I think we rode just under 200 miles but it was a real intense ride so under 200 miles was plenty.

Still two more days of riding left:rayof

Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 13 others like this.
  14. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Win I was very impressed with what you did there, you are a true ambassador for all motorcycle riders and I admire your character.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Before I forget, there was one "incident" on the Tuesday ride. As the other group was passing by the Ferguson Store on 209 the Vespa GT of @fatpony died. They suspect it was a bad stator but regardless the scooter wasn't going anywhere on its own power. @fatpony 's wife was back in MV and had a van. There was no cell signal at the Ferguson store but Larry got a hold of his wife and then made sure she knew where to go to rescue him. They had also brought his wife's Vespa ET4 so the plan was to ride that on the Wednesday ride.

On Wednesday morning I did my normal routine and walked down to check out the sunrise.

[​IMG]

Then I walked back up and found these hooligans:lol3

[​IMG]

It was looking like it would be another BEEautiful day once the fog burned off.

[​IMG]

Rich would be riding his Vespa today and had his Benelli safely tucked away.

[​IMG]

@fatpony showed up on his wife's ET4.

[​IMG]

@ag_streak made it up from Georgia with his Adventure 150.

[​IMG]
    Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 13 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Josh. I find that a lot of riders, even experienced riders, often have misconceptions and don't know much about bikes that are different from what they ride. That applies to scooters, Harley's, sport bikes (crotch rockets) and probably other bikes as well. Having my scooter referred to as a moped has happened before.

Some people get offended when stuff like this happens but I know how much fun my scooters are and try point that out. Of course some people don't listen but that's their loss, not mine.

I am curious if they took my advice and rode Baltimore Branch or if we ended up riding more dirt that day than they did:lol3:lol3
    Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The route for the Wednesday ride was different from what we did the previous years. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a route that would do all the good roads I wanted to ride but minimize the time we spent on 64 which tends to have a lot of traffic. Like we did on Tuesday we would have two groups with Larry leading the slower group.

At 10 to 9 I did the ride brief and then a few minutes before 9 we formed up the "fast" group. I was surprised that we had only four riders. There was Steve, Rich, Doug and me. I thought we would have more but maybe my pace wore out a few people yesterday:dunno
    The route led us up to the BRP, a bit of the Parkway and then some four lane before we got into the good stuff.

[​IMG]

I was too busy riding to take any pics until we got to our next stop. Don @dp064 who rode in the second group did post some video so I'll re-post that here.

and another.

Thinwater, black 8, B10Dave and 10 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got to Lake Glenville and I took some pics. This is one of my favorite places to stop in the NC Mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I parked with the other scooters.

[​IMG]

Then we hung out by the lake. I didn't get any pics but there is a sand beach there which is very scenic. On this particular day there were four moms there with their kids. Doug noticed something that I probably wouldn't have. All four moms would stand there with their hands on their hips. Doug wondered what some aliens who observed this would think about what significance this had. I guess you had to be there but it was pretty funny. Looking back i should have take a pic.

We were waiting for the second group but we ended up waiting over half an hour. It was the one time this whole trip that I pulled out my Sony camera with its 50X zoom.

Here's some pics I took with the Sony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich and Doug.

[​IMG]

I finally used the Zoom!!

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some pics of the other group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@fatpony didn't make it. Apparently the little Vespa was running 38 MPH up 19 to the BRP so he turned around. I don't think he realized that the Super Cub and my Like weren't exactly blazing fast up the steep grades either. He missed out on a great ride.

Since they was running pretty late I discussed the route with Larry and he decided to skip a portion of it and go straight to Cashiers for lunch.

@ag_streak decided that the slow group was a bit too slow and that he would ride with us. So we headed out. Paul and I went ahead so I could get some pics.

It looks here like Paul is giving me the ADV salute but that's just his phone in his hand:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rest of the group soon came along.

[​IMG]

Doug followed by Rich and Steve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot of Paul on his ADV150.

[​IMG]

Then we rode some twisty roads that I added to the route and then spent some time on 64 which as expected had heavy traffic but at least it was moving at a reasonable pace. Then it was back to the good stuff which included a mile of dirt road.

[​IMG]

It looks smoother in the pic than it really was but it wasn't a big deal even on scooters with 12 inch wheels.

[​IMG]

Its hard to get a really clear pic when you are bouncing around.

[​IMG]