Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time to head back to the motel. I stopped to take some pics. It really is very scenic up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was back to the motel and another great evening of hanging out. The time socializing at night is an important part of an event like this for me. When you go for a day ride with other people you really don't have the chance to get to know them like you do at an event like this or an event where you camp together. The Tanglewood was great for socializing because every room had a couple of chairs outside and we just dragged them together and hung out. By the end of this event we all knew each other much better than we did at the beginning. Those who didn't stay at the motel really missed out.
    B10Dave, Thinwater, black 8 and 17 others like this.
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Anniv Win & Debbi.

:beer
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:

Thanks Sam! Same to you. I think you are one year ahead of us
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I slept in late on Friday morning and wasn't up until after 7. I still walked down to keep up with my ritual of getting a pic of the sunrise.

[​IMG]

@RUkidding had already left for his ride back to Ohio. @Retro Iron also had a long ride ahead of him. Here he was ready to go.

[​IMG]

some of us would be heading home in air conditioned comfort and weren't in that big of a hurry. Some were taking short rides on others bikes.

Steve riding Doug's Vespa passing Tim as he is leaving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don took Rich's TnT 135 for a spin.

[​IMG]

And Rich took Don's bike for a spin.

[​IMG]

I think the consensus was that the TnT was taller and had more legroom.

[​IMG]

Soon everyone was loading up their bikes. I liked Rich's setup because it allowed him to bring a spare bike. Its always nice to have a backup bike. I may do something like this in the future.

[​IMG]
    chethro, B10Dave, Thinwater and 14 others like this.
  5. 1stpcx

1stpcx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator, what a 1st-rate ride report. I appreciated the nice photos and your accompanying notes, IDg the bikes especially. I'd welcome a brief on how you managed all the nice action photos (inc. what Olympus you used). One of the best group ride reports I've seen on ADV. Impressive performer, your Like 150, too.
    old1959, B10Dave, Thinwater and 9 others like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I try to do a reasonably accurate and detailed ride report because I like being able to look back and remember the rides I did. I'm also trying to show people how much fun riding is and also how much fun and how capable scooters are. In case of group rides I want the other riders to have some good pics with them in them.

As for the action photos, I carry an Olympus TG-5 hanging from a strap around my neck. I have become pretty good at taking pics with my left hand while riding with my right. I only use two controls, the on/off button and the shutter. I don't look at the screen, I just point and shoot. For shots behind me I take them over my right shoulder. Before posting those pics I often crop them because I typically get too much of my helmet, jacket and the camera strap in the pic and the camera is often not pointed where I really wanted. The limitations of shooting while riding are that on rough roads or low light the pics are often blurry. I also don't often take pics on really twisty roads. The pics you see are mostly when I think it will make a good shot and I'm going straight or in a fairly easy curve.

For some people writing great ride reports comes naturally. In my case I have had a lot of practice but I will never be the writer or photographer that some on this forum are. Of course it makes me happy when people enjoy my ride reports. I'm also very pleased that a number of people have told me that they bought a scooter because of my ride reports and seeing what a scooter can do.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    You would think that after all the riding I did on my Like on this trip that I would come home and ride some of my other bikes. Nope. I've been out on the Like a few times. I did a run to Wally World. Today I rode to Midway Cycles to order a new front tire. I wore the sides off of the Pirelli Angel in just over 6,000 miles. I was hoping for better mileage out of a front tire but I need to stop riding so many curves if I want that to happen. I'm going to try a Michelin Power Pure next.

Then I went out again this evening to take some sunset pics.

[​IMG]

There were some clouds to make it interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chethro, B10Dave, Thinwater and 19 others like this.
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
    Thinwater, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  9. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My grandfather lived about 20 minutes from here. I spent a lot of my teenage winter weekends skiing on that slope.
    Thinwater, JRowland and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of skiing in my teens and until my early 40s but since moving south the best I can do is get pics of my scooters at ski areas!
    B10Dave, Samspade and JRowland like this.
  11. 1stpcx

1stpcx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you; you may sell some TGs as well, and there won't be more when the TG6s are gone. I've heard of the TG series, but only thought of them -narrowly- as underwater tools. That F2.0-4.9 lens serves you well, and as an enthusiast photographer, I appreciate your photo-editing time and skills as well. These last shots also show your capturing, composition and editing tastes, which are primary. I'm going to consider and learn your strap-around-the-neck method with one of my compacts. Again: nice work, K.
    Thinwater and JRowland like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It sounds like you know more about photography than I do and I appreciate the compliment.

I started out using a regular point and shoot. The first one was a pretty rugged Casio that lasted for years but eventually it jammed up from dust getting into the lens mechanism. I replaced it with another point and shoot and the first dusty dual sport ride I did jammed it up. On top of that I would put the camera away was raining or looked like it might. So I bought a TG830 which worked really well but it eventually stopped working. I wanted to get another 830 because it worked really well but it was no longer available so I went with the TG-5 which was twice the price.

I also have a Sony DSC HX300 with a Carl Zeiss lens and a 50X zoom but I rarely use it any more. Its much less convenient to use when riding and in many cases my Olympus takes better pics. The Olympus seems to capture colors better although there are time when the Zoom on the Sony is nice to have. The Sony also seems better for catching moving targets as well. I had the Sony under my seat for the Maggie valley rides but only pulled it out one time.

Someday I may invest in a DSLR but I wonder how much I would use it. It certainly wouldn't be something I would strap around my neck and use when riding.

BTW, there are other inmates who do photography when riding. Some carry their cameras in their tankbags and have some kind of tether to keep from losing the camera. There are times when I have to drop the camera and put my left hand back on the handlebar quickly and the system I use works well for that.
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

A terrific thread as always Win.

Love vicariously riding the south with you pirates,

continued good work mate!

:beer
    B10Dave, black 8, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No scooter or motorcycle riding for me this week although I did go for a ride yesterday.

[​IMG]
    black 8, cleanerman, chethro and 17 others like this.
  15. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  16. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you’re getting a break from leading. Hope you enjoy it!
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  17. furygan

furygan Long Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Howdy!

I just saw a posting in battle scooters. What a cool event!
    dp064 and klaviator like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It’s great to be back following your antics.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had a break from riding for over a week. I enjoyed my week but it would have been better with some riding.

Yes it was. Come join us next year.

Welcome back from your "vacation" from ADV.
    dp064, JRowland, Thinwater and 3 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted much because I haven't done much riding. I hope to change that soon. I drove up to Ohio with Debbi and my Mom. My brother and his wife joined us. We had some unfinished business that we wasn't practical to do last year due to Covid.

My dad passed away early last year and we wanted to scatter his ashes in Lake Erie and also have a memorial party for as many of his old friends as we could get together. One of my Dad's interests was sailing. He had a small 16 foot sailboat which we sailed mostly on Lake Erie. Later he crewed on a couple of larger sailboats, both for fun and for racing. We managed to get a ride out on the lake on a sailboat owned and sailed by someone who knew my dad and had sailed with him.

Just like When I go on rides, I was the one taking the pictures.

We stopped at this spot before going out on the boat.

[​IMG]

As we motored out I realized that I was getting the same view that my Dad had seen on the numerous time he had sailed out of this harbor.

[​IMG]

We had great weather for this.

[​IMG]

The Cleveland Skyline.

My brother said a few words.

[​IMG]

And put his ashes into the lake.

[​IMG]
    black 8, hock2e, CMS and 18 others like this.