Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode some more on a mix of paved and unpaved roads. They were familiar roads for most of us but new to a couple of the riders.

[​IMG]

Most of the paved roads had no Double Yellow or paint of any kind.

[​IMG]

They also had no traffic despite this being a holiday.

We took a break on my favorite paved goat trail.

[​IMG]

No traffic came by in the 20 or so minutes we were stopped.

[​IMG]

Someone commented that this was the most organized parking we had ever done here.

More riding.

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some people thing dual sport rides should be mostly on dirt but I really enjoy these narrow and poorly paved back roads. They are often too rough to be fun on a street bike, they normally have no traffic and the riders behind the leader don't end up breathing in a bunch of dust.

[​IMG]

My pictures don't show how twisty, hilly and scenic these roads are.

After a morning of familiar roads I took a couple of roads none of us had been on before. They weren't anything special but they were roads I had wanted to check out for some time now.

Lunch at the 31 BBQ was good as usual.

Mike took off and headed home after lunch leaving seven of us to continue on. We rode some more familiar roads. The clouds had mostly disappeared leaving a beautiful sunny day. It was no longer cool but it wasn't hot either unless standing still in the sun.

[​IMG]

These tree lined one lane roads were fun and gave a sensation of going much faster than we were actually going.

[​IMG]

See what I mean. Doesn't this look like Ludicrous speed?:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have lost track of how many times I have taken pics at this spot. It's actually quite curvy and hilly before and after this spot but I find this spot particularly scenic.

[​IMG]

A few miles down the road I decided to turn off my normal route. A few more turns and I soon didn't know were we where. Of course those following had no idea:lol3 Well, at least until I made a U turn to go back and turn down some small side road. Actually, they probably thought i planned on riding down that road but I just saw it and decided to see where it went. It was a narrow paved road that soon came to a T intersection. At the T was a dirt road to the left and a dirt road going up a steep hill to the right. Which way would you go?

Of course I turned right. It was a fun dirt road that none of us had been on before. I followed it to another intersection and stopped. Randy and James were behind me but no one else.

So we waited.

And waited.

Where was everyone else:dunno

We headed back and soon Stephen and David came along. They had turned around when the two riders behind them hadn't come along but didn't find them. They figured they had turned around after seeing the hill. :dunno

So we continued on in the direction we wanted to go and a couple of minutes later Greg and Rudy were coming the other way. They had figured out a way to avoid the hill and still meet up with us.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Even when there is no plan:lol3

Eventually we ended up on familiar roads. I stopped to take these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode Van Zandt Rd again going the other way. Stephen and I rode ahead to shoot some action pics and video. We set up just past the largest of the puddles.

Randy.

[​IMG]

James.

[​IMG]

David on his V-Strom 1000.

[​IMG]

Rudy.

[​IMG]

Greg.

[​IMG]

We took a break in the shade before finishing up the ride and splitting up and heading home. I ended up with around 220 miles.

It was a great ride and it was great catching up with everyone. I wasn't the only one who has been out of town. Stephen wins the award for the biggest adventure of the summer. I'm sure he will do a ride report once he catches up on editing all the video he has shot.
  5. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is so much to tell, it might get 2 versions: his & hers.
  6. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was great as usual!
    IMGP0012.jpg
    IMGP0008.jpg
    IMGP0004.jpg
    Hard core riders and smart riders…
    IMG_8600.jpg
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    That last shot looks like a perfect place to pitch tents and build a nice fire. Life is good.
    Salth2ofish and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That was the parking lot for the BBQ place we ate lunch at. When we got there the gravel lot was mostly filled with cars. Some of us parked at the edge of the parking lot and some pulled up into the shade. I don't think the restaurant would appreciate us pitching tents and building a campfire:D

Same place but different angle:

[​IMG]
  9. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate i missed this ride. I really want to hook up with yall soon. Maybe next time. Great rr by the way.
    Thinwater and klaviator like this.
  10. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

ya never know till ya ask:dunno
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to see both versions.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After only 6500 miles the front Pirelli Angel on my Like was toast. I ordered a Michelin Power Pure a few week ago and yesterday I took my wheel to Midway Cycles to get it mounted. Unfortunately they had received a 120/70-12 instead of the 110/70-12 I needed. I thought about mounting it but decided against it. So they ordered a new tire and said it should be in by Friday. I was surprised when they called me at 10:30 this morning and said my tire was mounted and ready to go.

I took it for a couple of "test" rides just to make sure the tire works OK. This pic was on the second ride

[​IMG]

Now I need to figure out a ride for Saturday as well as a trip next week for Steve, Rich and me. I'll probably do a street ride to Delina on Saturday. Next week? Maybe Burke's Garden and the Back of the dragon on the big bikes? Or maybe a scooter trip to the twistiest paved road I have ever ridden?

I guess I better make a decision soon.
    black 8, CMS, Salth2ofish and 12 others like this.
  13. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pirelli tires have never been good to me. They either don't last or have a defective. I've always had good luck with Michelin and Continental tires.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The Pirelli's handled fine and lasted longer than the OEM tires. I have a Michelin City Grip II on the rear of my scooter but can't get a City Grip in the right size for the front. I have had that problem with my previous scooters as well. I could get a City Grip that fit the front or the rear but not both. This is my first Power Pure. Depending on how well it lasts I may try a Conti-scoot or Vee Rubber tire next.

Keep in mind that I'm really hard on tires. Many riders get double the mileage that I get out of a tire.
    JRowland, Salth2ofish and B10Dave like this.
  15. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also hard on tires and fuel mileage. I have no idea why. :rofl
    JRowland, Chethro, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I posted a street ride for today but I guess a lot of people were busy doing something else today. The three of us who showed up agreed it was too nice of a day not to ride. Besides me Randy ( @TheSweeper ) and David ( @enginebreak ) showed up. Stephen ( @Thinwater ) and his daughter also showed up but planned on doing their own ride and meeting us for lunch.

On my way to Ardmore I spotted a hot air balloon so I turned off to get some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got on the road a little after 9 and zigged and zagged our way towards Delina. I decided to try some over the shoulder shots over my left shoulder instead of my right like I usually do.

[​IMG]

I guess there is a reason I have been taking the shots over my right shoulder.

[​IMG]

At least I could salvage this one with some cropping.

[​IMG]

Despite my poor picture taking it was a great day to be out riding. While these middle Tennessee roads are not as good as my favorite mountain roads they are still a lot of fun and have very little traffic. The weather was about perfect in the morning.

I shot this one the way I normally do.

[​IMG]
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We took a break after about an hour. I got a pic of David's XT225.

[​IMG]

We rode some more and got to the Old Delina Country Stor just before 11. I wanted to get there before the rush. It was a good thing we got there early because the place was packed by around 11:15. Stephen and his daughter got there a few minutes after we did and they had quite a story. They had ridden Vanzandt Rd, which has been the site of a few "adventures" in the past which the most dramatic being Rudy putting a hole in his crankcase while riding it. A few others have dropped their bikes in the mud holes or going up the rutted hill at the beginning. Stephen decided to do something different and rode over some loose barbed wire which wrapped itself around his rear wheel! That's not an adventure I ever want to have!

I got someone to take our pic with my camera but it came out real blurry. I took one. It was better but still blurry.

[​IMG]

They had a band playing and some sort of fish fry special so the place was full.

[​IMG]

They played one song that most people joined in. They had the lyrics in the table.

[​IMG]

A couple of pics outside. The owners car:

[​IMG]

We weren't the only motorcycle riders there.

[​IMG]

After lunch we rode some more but I didn't take any more pics. My total for the day was 190 miles. I wanted to get home early because I will be departing on my next trip tomorrow. It took a while to come up with a plan but I think I have a good one. The weather looks good and we will be riding the twistiest paved road I have ever ridden as well as another road almost as twisty.

Stay tuned.......
    black 8, CMS, zookster and 18 others like this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    That looks like a dream riding stop - and clear blue skies.
    Thinwater, JRowland, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It has become one of my favorite lunch stops. Great food and surrounded by fun roads. Having perfect riding weather was a bonus.
  20. enginebreak

enginebreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed the ride. I'm getting to know my xt225 better with each ride (my first motorcycle) and the more I ride it the more I like it. Weather was beautiful. The bugs were also out--my helmet got nailed by some juicy ones before I even made it to the Shell station to start. I picked up a passenger at some point (top vent); he was still twitching when I took this picture at home.

Attached Files: