Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    South Carolina.

0913211354.jpg
  2. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
  4. 2372ighost

2372ighost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're not making it any easier!!:dirtdog I'm so Missing this. Glad you're finding some new places to ride!!
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:

I love it when a plan comes together, especially one that almost didn't.

Months ago I had a pretty good plan for this year. There was at least one trip and/or major event every month. Well, every month except September. My plan for September was to come up with something. Back in June when Steve, Rich and I were in Little Switzerland we even came up with potential dates.

As September approached I had some ideas, but no plan. I had an area that I had wanted to go ride for years and I have wanted to go touring again on a tiny scooter but I just couldn't come up with a plan. I considered doing a big bike ride up to Marion, Va and riding the "back of the dragon" and Burke's Garden but I just wasn't getting excited over that plan even though it was pretty easy to plan that trip.

I kept looking at Google maps and googling motels that would make my scooter touring plan work. I finally came up with a plan. I talked to Steve and Rich. Steve had misunderstood the dates:dirtdog Rich had some lame excuse about being to busy to go ride:fpalm

To be honest, I just wasn't feeling it. I wasn't as excited about this trip as I should be but I knew that if I went I would enjoy it. So I loaded up my Like into my truck on Sunday and drove to Steve's place in Nawth Jawja. Yes I know that's cheating but riding from my house to Steve's would just be a Pita on a tiny bike because the roads between here and there aren't quite suitable for a bike as slow as my Like. I did it on my Smax but that was a 70MPH+ bike, not a 60MPH bike.

Monday morning we loaded up our bikes and prepared to head out. I had a brand new Michelin Power Pure on the front. It had maybe 10 miles on it and was still covered with little nubs.

[​IMG]

Steve had a new Pirelli on the rear of his Vespa that was similarly covered with little nubs.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We headed out on a nice and cool morning. North Georgia has some really nice roads but I had forgotten how steep many of them are. I thought there were some steep grades around Maggie Valley but these are steeper and my Like bogged down to under 35 MPH a couple of times. For some reason I was feeling apprehensive during this ride and not enjoying it like I should. I was hoping I'd snap out of it.

We stopped to use a rest room near Helen. When we went to get back on the road the Like wouldn't start. Crap!!!

[​IMG]

I checked the Spark plug cap. It seemed like it was on just fine but I replaced it anyway. I checked the spark plug. We tried starting it a few times. It cranked but wouldn't start.

:dirtdog

We discussed options. We hadn't gone that far. Steve could ride back and get my truck.

We tried starting it again.

It started:-)

But died again:(

But it would start. I decided to put everything together and try riding it. It started and ran just fine. We never figured out what the problem was. Maybe a vapor lock or bad gas that needed to be cleared out:dunno

Now I was starting to feel the ride. We rode what was probably the twistiest road in Georgia:ricky:ricky:ricky

We stopped in Clayton for gas and lunch. We tried Wendy's but it was take out only so we settled on Burger King. Then we headed down Warwoman Rd:ricky:ricky:ricky. At the end we turned right on 28 and headed South. Up to this point I really hadn't been in a picture taking mood but we came up behind a Harley so I took some pics.

[​IMG]

After a mile or two we hit a straight and the rider pulled right and waved us past:thumb

As far as I can remember I have never ridden any of my scooters into South Carolina so I needed to document it. There wasn't really a good place to stop so this will have to do.

[​IMG]

We took a left and headed North on 107. It had been a long time since I rode this part of 107. It's a nice curvy and scenic road but has some steep grades that slowed down my little 150cc scooter. Steve went ahead since his two fiddy could maintain more speed up the hills.

I saw a scenic overlook and stopped for a pic.

[​IMG]
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Up the road Steve was stopped at an intersection talking to a State Trooper. Speeding ticket?? He had just stopped because he didn't know which way to go. The trooper asked us if we had seen an RV on the side of the road? Nope.

I had forgotten about this road that connected 107 to 130. Our purpose in riding south and then north on 107 was to bypass as much of 64 as we could because 64 always has way to much slow moving traffic. This would allow us to bypass even more of 64 so we took it. It turned out to be a really nice road but it's probably been 15 years since I rode it.

We stopped at a scenic view point.

[​IMG]

Steve was wearing the jacket he bought from @DandyDoug in Maggie Valley. He really likes the jacket and I'm sure Doug will be happy that his gear is still going out on riding trips.

We entered the third state of the trip.

[​IMG]

130 became 281 at the state line. It's a nice road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we ended up on 64. As expected it had a lot of traffic but for the most part it was moving faster than a snail's pace. We rode 64 through Brevard and Hendersonville. City traffic is not my favorite but more tolerable on a scooter than a motorcycle. We got a little lost in Hendersonville but even that ended up working out as Steve saw a nice restaurant while we were lost. We would end up coming back to that in a couple of nights. We finally hit a nice road before arriving at our destination.

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When searching for a motel for this trip I found plenty of what I call Big Box Motels. Both Steve and I prefer the little Mom and Pop motels where you can park right in front of your room and the door opens to the outside. That's what I found here. The Saluda Mountain Lodge. One of the features it advertised was an area out back with a great view. I went back and checked it out.

Fire pit, plenty of chairs and a great view.

[​IMG]

A nice place to hang out after a long day of riding. Before doing that we decided to go get something to eat. The small town of Saluda was nearby but when I researched this trip I found that most of the few restaurants would be closed Mon & Tues or Tues & Wed. Luckily there was one place open. We rode there in shorts and T shirts for dinner.

[​IMG]

We sat in the outdoor area since the temperature was comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The food and service were good. I'll give it a thumbs up:thumb

After dinner I went across the street to check this place out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Downtown Saluda.

[​IMG]

More pics back at the motel.

This was the view out back looking into the Green River Gorge.

[​IMG]

We pretty much had the place to ourselves. I know it was a weekday and off season but I'd expect some business:dunno

[​IMG]
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Tuesday was forecast to be a great day. The view out back in the morning.

[​IMG]

We brought some stuff to eat for breakfast in the morning so we ate in the room. Good thing because i don't think there was anyplace to eat open nearby.

Then it was time to ride:happay The first road on the agenda started a bout a tenth of a mile from the motel. I took off first and stopped to get some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to ride some more.......except there was a minor problem. When I hit the starter the bike just went dead:dirtdog Well it wasn't the same issue as the day before. Dead battery? I checked the battery leads. They seem snug but I was able to tighten one of them some and that solved the problem. I rode the 2+ miles to the bottom where Steve was waiting. We rode back to the top without any stops. This is the twistiest paved road I have ever ridden and was one of the main reasons I wanted to ride this area. It's basically a 2.3 mile Gymkhana course:ricky:ricky:ricky:ricky:wings. We turned around a rode it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This would have made a cool video. I just took a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

Just scroll down rapidly and pretend its a video:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Steve stopped and got some pics of me and I went ahead and took more pics as he came down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention this road had some curves?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it possible that the disturbance in the Like universe is telling you it's time for a Vespa? :lol3
  12. tobyone

tobyone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much for the Chevelle!!
    gulfcoaster, Raptorman and klaviator like this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    What a dream ride not that far from home. Great shots and by all accounts great motel. Did you use that great fire pit?

Such distances from here put me in the middle of grain fields and cow pastures on arrow straight roads.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and klaviator like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Maybe but not just yet.

Take a ride to Saluda and ask them!

I am lucky to live near so much fantastic riding. We didn't use the fire pit. The motel gets a mixed review but I'll save that for later.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Did I mention this road has some curves?
    :lol3

[​IMG]

After two runs down and back we decided to head off to the next road on our list. I could easily have ridden up and down this road a few more times but we would back up it later in the day. Now we were off to what might be the second twistiest paved road I have ever ridden. I discovered this road years ago because someone I know posted a video of it and said it was the twistiest road he had ever ridden:happay

We headed south on the "main" road out of Saluda. Even this main road was pretty twisty:ricky:ricky. Somewhere along the way there was a straight section of road so I took a pic.

[​IMG]

The next road makes a loop up and back down a mountain. It's a residential road so not suitable for high speed sport riding, not that high speeds would be possible regardless of how fast the bike is!

We had a great run up only getting stuck behind one car which let us by fairly quickly. We stopped at a view point at the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The houses up here have quite the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behind us.

[​IMG]

They have a great view but a pretty tough commute to get anywhere......unless they have a bike:ricky:ricky
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One more pic before continuing down the mountain.

[​IMG]

Typical curve on this mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just imagine miles of curves like this with some even tighter and you will get the idea of this road. I just didn't stop to take a lot of pics of the curves.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There is a spectacular waterfalls right beside the road just down the mountain and I was really looking forward to seeing it and taking some pics but just a bit past the last pic the road was closed for construction:( so we turned around and headed back. I'm guessing the road washed out during some of the heavy rains this year.

So I'm cruising along and see this deer beside the road. I slowed down and then stopped.

[​IMG]

It just stood there and looked at me. Maybe it was thinking: "What are you doing on my road":dirtdog

Maybe I could get a bit closer for a better pic? No, it decided to run across the road.

[​IMG]

Mo scenery.

[​IMG]

One mo curve pic.

[​IMG]
    oldenuf, B10Dave, Stubanger and 16 others like this.
  18. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:

Don Redman and I rode that Mtn road a few years ago. He was on a vstrm 1000 and I was on my Ducati ST2. My wrists were aching by the time we got back to the bottom.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was Don's video that made me go check it out a few years ago. I rode it on my Versys and it was wet. It was way more fun this time on my scooter. The fact that the weather was perfect helped too! Anything over a 300 is overkill on that road.

I could have easily ridden it a few more times on the Like without getting tired out but we had other roads to ride:ricky:ricky
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Actually, the road in the pic you quoted was not the road you and Don rode. The road in the Pic is Green River Cove RD and is twistier than the one you and Don rode but not as long.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, Raptorman, dp064 and 4 others like this.