Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the other one is???? :-)
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, Thinwater, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Our day was not done yet. We headed back towards Saluda on 176. Its a main road but quite curvy. We got stuck behind some slow traffic and passing pretty much anything while going uphill is a no go on the Like so I pulled off and took a pic.

[​IMG]

We turned off for the waterfall but found it had a $5 entry fee so we skipped it. No problem it was an entertaining road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got back on 176 which had a fun section where there were two lanes going up the hill and we ran it like a racetrack:ricky:ricky

We stopped briefly at the motel and then continued our ride. Our next destination was Lake Lure and we headed down a rode we hadn't been on before. It was a fun road with plenty of curves but pretty rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, Stubanger, zookster and 13 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I thought I was following a route @dpippin had sent me but since I wasn't using GPS who knows:dunno At one point the pavement ended.

[​IMG]

Pavement resumed after a couple of miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon we were approaching Lake Lure. Some time ago I read a ride report and the author posted that he would often eat at grocery stores for lunch. I decided to try that. Good Idea as I had a tasty deli sandwich, bottle of water and chocolate croissant for around 4 bucks and we had a comfortable place to sit down and eat.

[​IMG]

After lunch we gassed up and continued on.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Approaching downtown Lake Lure.

[​IMG]

Lake Lure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure Lake Lure is a tourist trap and it would seem a tourist trap for people with money but it is also an incredibly scenic area. Chimney Rock State Park is just outside of town. Chimney Rock was used for some of the scenes in Last of the Mohicans. We continued through town towards Chimney Rock stopping for more pics.

[​IMG]

I wonder how crowded this beach gets during the summer?

[​IMG]

Behind us.

[​IMG]
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode on. Lots of boats here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding through town we turned around. While I enjoyed the scenery I wanted to ride some more curves on roads with a little less traffic than here in town.

I shot this next pic off to my left side while in a tight curve. I'm amazed it came out.

[​IMG]

Another view of Lake Lure.

[​IMG]

Soon we got off the main road and on to another super twisty road with little traffic. This road ran around the Eastern edge of Lake Lure. It wasn't as twisty as The two super twisty roads we did in the morning but it was still way twistier than the dragon. We weren't really pushing it but it was a pretty intense ride. I was glad to be on my Like which is about prefect for roads like this and nearly effortless to ride except for the concentration required on a road with tight curves and virtually no straights:ricky:ricky:ricky

We crossed a dam.

[​IMG]

We rode a while following a route that Doug had sent me. Nice scenery, lots of hills and curves. Then the road turned to gravel and was under construction so we decided to turn around since the roads we just rode were so much fun that we were happy to ride them again. I didn't stop to get any pics of the curves. Just a pic on the dam when we crossed it again.

[​IMG]
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="klaviator, post: 43012143, member:

[​IMG]

Sure Lake Lure is a tourist trap and it would seem a tourist trap for people with money but it is also an incredibly scenic area. Chimney Rock State Park is just outside of town. Chimney Rock was used for some of the scenes in Last of the Mohicans. We continued through town towards Chimney Rock stopping for more[/QUOTE]

behind ya is from dirty dancing
  8. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinwater, Raptorman and JRowland like this.
  9. red bud

Oddometer:
    Raptorman and JRowland like this.
  10. red bud

Oddometer:
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We were getting a bit tired from the endless curves so we decided to head back to Saluda. I followed the route I had used the last time I was here years ago. We ended up on Green River Cove road. Most of this road runs along the Green river. The road surface is not in the best shape. We saw a nice place to stop so we took a break there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve noticed a Blue Heron in the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Then it was time to ride the Gymkhana course up the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve passed me and then I chased him up the rest of the way up without any stops. This is a super fun road on a small big but I think the average rider on a bigger bike would be white knuckled the whole way and never come back and ride it again.

We got back to the motel around 2:30 and we laid down and took naps. Maybe we're just getting old but it was some pretty intense riding.

Just after 4:30 we got on the bikes and headed to Hendersonville for dinner at a restaurant Steve had noticed when we got lost coming through Hendersonville on the way here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great food and service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were stuffed when we left and headed back to the motel:dukegirl
  13. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb :beer
  14. Retro Iron

Retro Iron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a gorgeous restaurant!
    JRowland, Raptorman, Chethro and 2 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After dinner we headed back towards the motel. The road between Hendersonville and Saluda is pretty curvy and a fun ride! We stopped in Saluda and I decided to take some pics and do a little exploring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

105mm howitzer.

[​IMG]

Next time I come back here I'd like to explore this town a bit more. I did ride through a residential area which had some pretty cool old houses. I took some pics as I rode past but none came out that good. I really needed to stop to take some pics. Maybe next time.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was. I'll definitely eat there again next time I'm in that area.
  17. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we got back to the motel there were a few cars there. I headed to the scenic area out back and there were some people there. It turned out to be the new owners of the motel. A couple of young guys from Asheville had just bought the place and were planning on upgrading it and trying to increase the business. One guy was in commercial real estate and one was a web designer/marketing guy. They are hoping to attract outdoor type people. The two main attractions in the area seem to be tubing on the Green River and a zip line place practically next to the motel. It seems that they got a fair amount of business on weekends during the summer but the place is pretty dead during the week. Of course we were there on weeknights in September which is off season for tourism.

So my thoughts on this motel. Its old but the rooms were recently renovated and overall were pretty nice. We had a couple of issues the first night. One the Shower drained real slow. Two, when I went to get in bed it was wet!. The managers were pretty prompt in taking care of both problems.

Then there was the air conditioner. It would periodically cycle on. A couple of minutes after turning on it would go into "hyper drive". It was pretty loud. It didn't bother me too much but Steve had to put in ear plugs to sleep.

This place it right off the interstate and has a great view but it is a bit pricey and it is older. It also doesn't have a lot of restaurants nearby. I think they would need to lower the price a bit to attract those weekday travelers just wanting a bed for the night. It is a great location for riders to base out of. Would I set up a group event there? Maybe. The roads nearby are fantastic and i think with a bit of exploring I could come up with two or three days of routes.

Some pics from that evening.

[​IMG]

It would be nice if the motel were oriented a bit differently to get a better view of sunset and sunrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Sunrise Wednesday morning.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to pack up and head for home. The plan was to pretty much reverse the route we took here except for going around Hendersonville, not through it.

The roads we took to bypass Hendersonville weren't great but they were a pleasant ride even though traffic limited our speed. At least we didn't have to deal with any traffic lights.

[​IMG]

It was cloudy with rain forecast for later in the day.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the same overlook in SC as we did the first day. Best I can tell the lake we could see was Lake Jocassee in SC.

[​IMG]

My scooter was loaded such that it would balance on the centerstand with both tires off the ground.

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode some fun, curvy roads in SC, NC, and then GA.

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch in Clayton then continued on.

Lake Rabun Rd is one of the twistiest roads in the State and a blast on a small scooter:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

Its NOT a road to push hard on since it has multiple driveways and very limited sightlines with building, walls and trees right on the side of the road.

[​IMG]

Approaching Helen, GA.

[​IMG]

It started raining lightly on us but not hard enough for me to bother putting on any rain gear.

Ricky Russel Raceway:ricky:ricky:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]