Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buck Bald.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to head for dinner. We went to the Tellicafe again.

[​IMG]

After way too much food some of us still got desert.

Jeff got the "mother of all Deserts" Tellicafe's Django.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    As on previous nights the ride back to the campground was into the setting sun so I snapped a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we hung out a bit that evening. The original plan was to ride a half day on Sunday and pack up and head for home in the afternoon. Unfortunately the weather forecast changed and Sunday was looking like a rainy day so we packed up in the morning and headed for home. Greg, the only one who rode his bike to Tellico had not packed a rainsuit. He ended up finding some frog Toggs at the nearest Walmart and rode on Sunday before riding home on Monday when it was drier.

While the colors this year didn't match the spectacular colors we had last year, the riding was every bit as good. I found some new roads. The company was great. Of course the riding around Tellico is fantastic. 3 1/2 days is not enough time to ride everything but I was pretty worn out after those 3 1/2 days.

I may go back to Tellico in a couple of weeks, around the 23rd. That will depend on the weather.

This coming weekend is the Barber Vintage Festival. I plan on going Friday and Saturday.

The following weekend I'll probably set up a local street ride on Saturday the 17th.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I just "survived" a two day overload of motorcycle sights, sounds, riding, and people. Of course I took a ton of pics even though they are not a substitute for actually being there. Where is there??

Where else?

[​IMG]
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:lurk
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I remember years ago there were some threads on the Bamarides forum about the Barber Vintage motorcycle Festival. Sure vintage bikes are cool but why would I ride all the way to Birmingham on boring roads just to see some old bikes?? I don't even own a vintage bike.

Finally around 4 or 5 years ago I decided to go check it out. I quickly found out that this is way more than a bunch of old bikes. It is a massive celebration of motorcycles, scooters and speed. Until you have gone you won't understand.

The last BVMF was in 2019 and it was a fantastic experience for me. 2020 was cancelled due to Covid but it was back this year. Like past years I commuted down and back each of the two days I went. Maybe next year I'll find a way to stay down there and not have to commute.

Last time we had excessive heat. This year we had a much better forecast but Alabama had some epic rain that made the national news just days before the event threatening to turn it into a giant mud fest. Regardless, I was going. This year Steve @Raptorman rode over to my house from GA. and was coming with me.

We got on the road around 8 AM on Friday and rode 114 miles much of it through thick fog to get there. We found a place to park our bikes and headed over to the Motorcycle Alabama booth in the swap meet section. After talking a bit to the other forum members there we headed out to check out the swap meet section. This was Steve's first time here. He described it as being at a strip club....there was so much to look at:lol3:lol3

Of course my camera got a workout.

Would you believe its a Harley?

[​IMG]

Not a Harley:D

[​IMG]

Mo Harleys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would you believe this was a factory paint job?

[​IMG]
  6. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    My first Harley was an SS350 Street Sprint like that black one. I was only 13, and was the "cool kid" because I had a Harley. It cost me a whopping $150. :lol3
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the cool things about this event is that even if you don't own a vintage bike, you will find some bikes that you owned or maybe just lusted after when you where younger. In my case I first got interested in bikes in the 60s and 70s and I still have a lust for Japanese bikes from the era. There were plenty of them to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have loved to have had one of these as a kid.:raabia

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't exactly lust after one of these but being a scooter guy I had to take a pic.

[​IMG]

I took a pic of this just because it was so weird!

[​IMG]

Back in the late 70s I bought a World Motorcycle catalogue. I remember that 80cc bikes where popular in Europa and this bike was in the catalogue.

[​IMG]

Not exactly vintage but a cool KLX.

[​IMG]

This cutaway BMW had a hand crank that would turn the engine and you could see how all the parts moved.

[​IMG]
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Mo interesting bikes.

[​IMG]

Another Harley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    I remember how good an XR75 sounded when I was a kid. The little thumper that could!
    JRowland and klaviator like this.
  11. Al-Rider

Al-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was down there friday. Wish I had met y'all. Just to much to see in 1 day, will get the weekend pass next year.
    norton73 and klaviator like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    How about a custom sidecar rig?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW that's Steve and Rich standing behind the rig each carrying the custom KLX250 seats they had just bought. Steve got a Seat Concepts and Rich a Sargent seat. They got great deals on both of them.

The Sidecar rig in action.

[​IMG]

Harley Dirtster.

[​IMG]

Cool old Guzzi.

[​IMG]
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One day is for sure not enough time to see everything. I could easily spend three days there but I was worn out after two days and the commute could be brutal......more on that later. Lets just say it was an adventure!

One of the great things to do was hang out at the Motorcycle Alabama booth in the Swap Meet area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get good pictures showing the whole booth. We fund the booth by selling stuff donated by members. We had chairs to sit in the shade, ice chests full of cold water and other drinks, food and of course people to hang out with.

Karla dressed up in a Halloween outfit and handed out candy to passing kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We also checked out things outside of the swap meet section. We checked out the fan zone but I didn't find anything all that interesting there. I should have taken some pics but just didn't. There were booths for lawyers, insurance companies, energy drinks, nicotine products, and even a few that had something to do with motorcycles. Bates Leathers had their normal booth. 6th gear where I bought some mesh pants last time was there. BMW had the biggest display but it only had different versions of their ugly new cruiser. Triumph and MV Augusta had displays and there were a few other booths featuring motorcycle accessories and gear. Then there were some food booths and the Ball of Death and Wall of Death. The normal MX stunt jumping ramps were missing. I don't know if that was planned or if they cancelled it due to the muddy conditions. There were a few ruts in the grass where that was normally set up.

There were no races on the track on Friday but there was some practice. The parade pace car, a vintage Porsche did a couple of laps.

[​IMG]

This was the perimeter road between the Swap meet and fan zone.

[​IMG]

Typical bike parking off the perimeter road. You can see my majesty and Steve's V Strom 1000.

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got on our bikes and headed for the other side of the facility to check stuff out. Rich was on his Ural with side car. We were looking for the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club ( NAVMC ) We checked out a few places with no luck. We did go to the dirt race track. Getting near it was a bit muddy.

This old GT185 caught my eye.

[​IMG]

We had to ride across some muddy areas. This wouldn't be an issue on a dual sport but provided a bit of a pucker factor on a big scooter with street tires.

[​IMG]

It turned out to not be a big deal.

When we walked down to the dirt racing course there wasn't much going on so we left and headed back to the MA booth. Someone there told us where the NAVMC area was so Steve and I headed over there. Steve had met one of the members at a vintage motorcycle event in North Georgia a few weeks ago and he invited Steve to come and visit them at Barbers so that's why he wanted to go. We found the place and what a setup they have. I wish I took more pics. They have several RV spots with a large grassy area behind those spots where they set all their stuff up. We talked to a few people and checked the area out. Thenonly pic I took was this one:

[​IMG]

One of the members sets this up. It's 4 10 x 10 EZ ups with 6 attached tents for members to stay in. What a cool set up!

While Steve was talking to someone I wandered across the road to check out this Vespa.

[​IMG]

The owner was from Dothan and had ridden some Scooter cannonballs in the past.

Another pic of the cool setup at NAVMC.

[​IMG]

All of this was on top of a hill. This is the view from the hill down to an area that had parking and the second swap meet area. In June this was the area where the Small Bore event was located.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We hung out a bit more at the MA booth then decided to head for home. I was concerned about Birmingham rush hour traffic so I had a route that avoided going through the city. People told me that traffic was not a issue out here and we'd be fine. We left around 5 and as we were on our way out when I realized I didn't have my camera!

Crap!!

I figured I left it on a chair in the MA booth. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of going back for it and I was already tired with a 2+ hour ride home ahead of me so we continued. That turned out to be a good decision. We took 20 West to 459 to 59 North. Approaching 59 traffic slowed to a crawl and we could see that 59 was jammed up so we took 59 South to 20 and then 79 North. That cost us about 20 minutes and we ended up doing much of the ride in the dark. We stopped in Priceville for gas and as we were leaving Steve Dropped his bike:muutt

Riding while tired just sucks and isn't the safest thing to do. We got home, ate and went to bed. We wanted to get on the road early Saturday morning to go back to Barbers.

I'd post some pics of the ride but.....I didn't have my camera with me!

Coming up.....Saturday at the Vintage Festival. It would be a great day and the ride home would be a real adventure!
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got on the road before 8 on Saturday and unlike Friday morning it was nice and sunny, not foggy. We had an uneventful ride to Barber. We stopped at the MA booth where Karla had my camera waiting for me! I soon headed over to watch the racing on the track.

These two Big Ruckus's caught my eye.

[​IMG]

The Geko was in front of the Gieco booth.

[​IMG]

The viewing area in the shade under the trees was packed so I set up in the sun so I could get a clear view and some good pics of the action.

[​IMG]
    I was using my Sony camera for these pics.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my camera couldn't capture the sound of the bikes roaring around the track.

Normally the jump ramps would be set up in the field on the right of the pic.

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One of the bikes coasted to a stop. I used the 50x zoom on my sony to get some pics.

[​IMG]

Not the best way to leave the track.

[​IMG]

I guess its better to break down than to crash.

Or to be eaten by a giant tiger:yikes

[​IMG]

This was a Law Tigers blow up set up by the perimeter on the other side of the track. I cropped it to get the pic above.

The actual view just using my zoom.

[​IMG]

More racing.

[​IMG]

Even though I didn't know who was racing it was so cool just sitting and watching and hearing the bikes go by.

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Typical traffic on the perimeter road by the swap meet area.

[​IMG]

Rich and I were headed to the other side of the park to watch the vintage motocross action.

Traffic thinned out.

[​IMG]

Its a scenic ride around the perimeter road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We found the Vintage motocross track. Its not really a motocross track. Its the same course through the woods that they use for the cross country racing. Its more of a hare scrambles course.

[​IMG]

We watched for a while from behind this red "do not cross" tape they had strung in the trees on the hillside then I decided the view from there wasn't very good. I hiked around the tape and to the bottom of the hill for a much better view.

When watching from the top I wondered why the racers weren't get a better run before starting up the hill. Now I could see why.

[​IMG]

There was a mud pit at the bottom of the hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mud pit combined with a tight curve shortly before made it hard to have a lot of speed starting up the hill which was also pretty slick. Not everyone made it up.

[​IMG]